What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Even this early, is there only 3 who can win?

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm still lolling at people ruling Tigers out. They're inconsistent as shit, but all they have to do is make the finals & they can win it.

I can't understand it either. Last year they came so damn close to beating the dragons and going all the way.

This year they have basically the same team and yet people are writing them off.

isaiah

Bench
This gets said about the Broncos every year and only once have they missed out on September footy.

Their young blokes have been outstanding

lockyer mentioned after they lost round 1 v cowboys, that he thought this group could achieve something special this year

isaiah

Bench
I can't understand it either. Last year they came so damn close to beating the dragons and going all the way.

This year they have basically the same team and yet people are writing them off.

need to get todd payten back and firing. he did all the little things late last season in their run into the finals and they missed him when he got injured

Brisbane won't stay strong for long, Manly on the other hand I think have shades of 2008 about them. It'll be between Manly, Saints, Melbourne and one other bolter for the premiership.

I can only hope that bolter is my club :pray:

Manly are looking good at the moment..good structured forward pack and if they can minimise injuries then will have every chance of getting to the GF again.

Would definitely tip them if they played the Dragons in the finals...

AuDragon

Juniors
lockyer mentioned after they lost round 1 v cowboys, that he thought this group could achieve something special this year
Given our current shape on the ladder, the way Griffin managed Locky and Thaiday's game time, the return of Gillett, Te'o, McGuire, Hunt and Hodgo in the next few weeks, and 6 of the last 9 games at home, I reckon we're a good chance of finishing in the top 4...

AuDragon

Juniors
Manly are looking good at the moment..good structured forward pack and if they can minimise injuries then will have every chance of getting to the GF again.

They may have peeked a bit early, but they're contenders for sure!

I reckon it will be between the current top 6 on the table, although there always seem to be a bolter at the end of the season. Panthers anyone?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This gets said about the Broncos every year and only once have they missed out on September footy.

Their young blokes have been outstanding
That one time they missed out on September footy was the most recent season and their squad isn't greatly different.

One or two injuries and they're done for.
Oh, Lockyer said it, it must be true :lol:

Hutty1986

Immortal

Manly look very good, but the Dragons still have an outstanding record against them, Brookie or otherwise. I'd rather play Manly than a fit and firing Tigers side

Big Pete

Referee
Not to call out you Tim but it's a pet peeve of mine when somebody tries to exclusively apply the '1 or 2 players injured and they're done for' line. You can say that about ANY side that's how close the competition is these days.

I don't think Brisbane are specials either, I'd have them behind St. George Illawarra, Manly, Melbourne, West Tigers and North Queensland but they're in with a shot and I expect to see them come September.

Timmah

Staff member
Not to call out you Tim but it's a pet peeve of mine when somebody tries to exclusively apply the '1 or 2 players injured and they're done for' line. You can say that about ANY side that's how close the competition is these days.

No shit.

In this case I was talking about Brisbane. Of course it applies to every club.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Manly look real good. Some serious contenders this year. can't wait til rep season is over and the real stuff starts getting real again.

Bring that shit on.

Gaba

First Grade
tigers
sheens is still the factor, he got them home against the warriors yesterday by going onto the sideline and barking the game plan to marshall
teams need to keep sheens in the coaches box

Timmah

Staff member
So the Broncos is just a shot in the dark, or is it actually more wishful thinking than anything else?
Someone else had made a statement about them, I disagreed with it.

Next time, should I check with you if that's okay first? :roll:

isaiah

Bench
That one time they missed out on September footy was the most recent season and their squad isn't greatly different.

One or two injuries and they're done for.

Oh, Lockyer said it, it must be true :lol:

they let any fool be a mod in here?

Timmah

Staff member
What does being a mod have to do with anything?

Are mods not allowed to dislike your precious club? :lol:

AuDragon

Juniors
Someone else had made a statement about them, I disagreed with it.

Next time, should I check with you if that's okay first? :roll:
Statements were made about a lot of clubs, it just strikes me how your focus is the Broncos. Did I hit a nerve?

Vic Mackey

Referee
the top 5 look to have really created a gap from the rest, not just in competition points but in class and 80 minute performances

however you can pretty much put a hold on the comp until after the origin period

isaiah

Bench
broncs were very good vs bennett
back near the early season defence, best in the nrl.
hoffman was impressive, and hala. if they finish between 3rd and 6th i think they can make a run in the finals.
hopefully hodges and gillett come back fit and firing.
bennett should be worried any games beau scott doesn't play. not because of his skill level, just he seems to be central to their defensive pattern.