What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex Warrior watch 2021

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Never mind Papali’i. Shaun Lane is killing it as usual again af we barely played him

Never mind Papalii?

I don’t even think it’s close right now, he’d have to be the buy of the year after 7 rounds. Playing like an absolute superstar which is very, very upsetting for the rest of us Warriors fans.

Blair

Coach
Never mind Papali’i. Shaun Lane is killing it as usual again af we barely played him

It probably wasn't entirely our fault that he didn't develop with us. Remember, he came here on a player swap, as Dessie didn't want him at the Dogs. He'd lost his 'fire' or something like that. That 'fire' didn't come back during his stint in Auckland, although he really should've got more than the literal '15 munutes' of first grade with us.

He was part of our gun reserve grade side. I saw their semi-final at Penrith in the NSW Cup, and I also heard an exasperated bench shout out at him to 'fire up'. He seemed lackadaisical, at a time when we needed some big plays to get back in the game.

The following year, he'd turn up for Blacktown Sea Eagles, to play in nowheresville in front of 40 people, a few dogs and an eccentric who had a cat on his shoulder. Again, 'Laney' seemed to just go through the motions for the most of it. I would think, 'gee, he's fallen hard'. Then, someone picked him for Manly first grade as a result of an injury crisis, perhaps, and first grade's where he's stayed.

He's gone next level at the Eels, and is right back to where he started at the Bulldogs, seen as a potential NSW Blues player.

nswarrior

Juniors
It probably wasn't entirely our fault that he didn't develop with us. Remember, he came here on a player swap, as Dessie didn't want him at the Dogs. He'd lost his 'fire' or something like that. That 'fire' didn't come back during his stint in Auckland, although he really should've got more than the literal '15 munutes' of first grade with us.

He was part of our gun reserve grade side. I saw their semi-final at Penrith in the NSW Cup, and I also heard an exasperated bench shout out at him to 'fire up'. He seemed lackadaisical, at a time when we needed some big plays to get back in the game.

The following year, he'd turn up for Blacktown Sea Eagles, to play in nowheresville in front of 40 people, a few dogs and an eccentric who had a cat on his shoulder. Again, 'Laney' seemed to just go through the motions for the most of it. I would think, 'gee, he's fallen hard'. Then, someone picked him for Manly first grade as a result of an injury crisis, perhaps, and first grade's where he's stayed.

He's gone next level at the Eels, and is right back to where he started at the Bulldogs, seen as a potential NSW Blues player.

thanks that Linda explains things about Lane fairly well.

Could you explain Papailli - is this the same person playing for Parra as the one who played for us Surely not - I have never seen this guy play before

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Lane I heard arrived in Auckland with a shit attitude and basically told the club he wasn’t interested in staying and would be gone at the end of the year so it wasn’t worth their time playing him

waipiro

Juniors
Papali had one really good year with us and then was pedestrian the last two.....maybe some guys need to move out of home and out of their comfort zones to show their real ability. A bit like Taukeiaho did as well i suppose.

Doesn't just happen with us though....guys like Gutherson, Laurie, and heaps of others were down the pecking order at their clubs but have excelled at new clubs.

And a heap with big reps have faded away after leaving too....Hingano, Tuimavave etc

TheDMC

Bench
I'd bring him back for $500k, full circle, redemption story. Plus we could do with his style of play and experience. Presume he is a bit more mature now and the ego reined in.

TheDMC

Bench
He was playing well for Sharks for quite a while in lead up to the injury.

Any club offering him a contract at this point in time would need to make it contingent on his physical recovery of the achilles - there are plenty of tests that can determine achilles recovery - movement range, power, speed etc. Operations to reattach achilles come with a risk of re-rupture, but quite low (I think less than 5%), and definitely lower than natural recovery (non-op). A bunch of foot muscles get damaged by the op, and the whole leg requires rebuilding strength, so it is akin to a ACL rupture in terms of recovery time and risks. But with the level of medical care he would have received he should be sweet.

If cannot make a continent offer for some reason, most likely clubs are waiting to see how he goes when back playing this season to determine whether he has recovered sufficiently enough.

For what its worth, I made a full recovery from achilles rupture and op, and now have a saveloy sized super achilles on one leg!

Blair

Coach

Timely post. Today I got the good oil on Ice and why he's suddenly going so good at Parra. My source, from deep inside the Eels, said Ice has told them he's now 'getting treated like a human-being, with respect, dignity, etc' He said over at the Warriors they 'treat you like s***'. My source also said Ice has a couple of his mates at the Warriors who also want to come to the Eels.

It was not what I wanted to hear, but my source is reliable and wouldn't bs me.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Wonder if thats referring to previous coaching setups, senior players, management or all of the above? Though if your attitude is cake then you’ve gotta expect the senior boys to come down on you

Penrose_11

Juniors
Nathaniel Roache is at the Eels on a train and trial. Pretty sure players on these contracts aren’t available until round 10. Be interesting to see if he gets a run, wether thru injury or form. Always rated by the fan base here but injuries to paid to any run of games he put together

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I'd bring him back for $500k, full circle, redemption story. Plus we could do with his style of play and experience. Presume he is a bit more mature now and the ego reined in.

One of the things I really liked was that after that big injury a few years ago against Manly (broken leg I think) SJs short kicking game improved out of sight, as he wasn’t the same elusive speedster he once was.

He led the comp in try assists last year, and has probably a better kicking game than anyone else we will be able to bring over here.
As long as he holds up physically, he’d be great for us. If we get rid of Kodi next year, I’d be happy to have SJ back even on $650k. He’d be a better fit for CHT too, which id prefer.

Latest posts