What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion 10 years away: Gallop

Quidgybo

Bench
aarondoyle said:
Rocky only has a population of 60k.

If you wanted another Qld city, there's Mackay - 80k, Cairns - 120k or the Sunshine Coast - 280k.
I was going to correct you on Mackay until I looked it up. That place must have really got a move on in the last decade (well the whole of NQ has). I've always had it pegged as smaller than Rocky in the 40k to 50k range.

You also left out Toowoomba which at 120k is second in size only to Canberra in terms of Australian inland cities.

For my money the next Queensland side has to be north Brisbane/Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast. Probably a license held by the Redcliffe Dolphins (whose national league aspirations have long been on record), but not playing on the peninsula. A new Robina style boutique stadium with good rail and road links located somewhere either in or between Caboolture and Caloundra.

If both a future north (of) Brisbane side and the Titans played their three biggest drawing games each year Geelong Cats style at Suncorp Stadium then both sides would be able to build Brisbane support bases from the slack of non Broncos supporting (ie. Broncos hating) RL fans. And the game would be able to ensure matches were played 18 out of 25 weeks each season (plus Origin) in the Brisbane market at the best RL stadium in the world.

Leigh.

Mary

Juniors
In most cases, it's not about the population, or the money, but whether the talent pool the game has to draw from can support these extra teams without ruining the game as a spectacle.

On an unrelated note - I can't believe all the Gallop-bashing going on, he is easily one of the best admins we have ever had.

greenhat

Juniors
I don't know that much about Brisbane
but what about a combined north brisbane/sunshine team
with a name like:
'Sunshine Norths Dolphins'
unless theres some kind of blood rivalry between the devils and dolphins?

though I think QLD should be left alone for a fair few years to let the Titans really settle in

Perth has gotta be next
that boat will sail to the force unless the Reds can get in soon

people say 'its not about sticking pins in a map' but I think with Perth that really would be a factor
I think it would help the image of the game everywhere in Australia if Perth was in the NRL, especially in Melbourne. I'd guess it might even raise the NRLs profile in Adelaide (not that I'm suggesting they get a team) Its an advantage the AFL is really pressing, that they are the only major national comp.
plus, as many other people have pointed out, being a coast to coast comp also opens up a bigger bag of potential sponsors who want national exposure

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
greenhat said:
I don't know that much about Brisbane
but what about a combined north brisbane/sunshine team
with a name like:
'Sunshine Norths Dolphins'
unless theres some kind of blood rivalry between the devils and dolphins?

though I think QLD should be left alone for a fair few years to let the Titans really settle in

Perth has gotta be next
that boat will sail to the force unless the Reds can get in soon

Central Coast Bears. Give them what was promised.
And this was the original relocation - anything less is a fraud.

greenhat

Juniors
nah mate I meant it as in Norths Devils, from the QRL comp

maybe the team name should be Norths Sunshine Dolphins
so norths would get the first bit of the name, but sunshine gets the mascot

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
IMO there should be 2 more teams, eventually... therefore a merger wouldnt suffice.

but like i said originally, first there needs to be a reds team + a wellington team

Perth Red

Post Whore
Frustrating thing is we can all see it so why can't Gallop? Some strategic direction for expansion (even if it is over the next 10 years god forbid!) would be a start rather than "consolidation" which is just another word for stagnation as far as i'm concerned.

t-ba

Post Whore
Perth Red said:
Frustrating thing is we can all see it so why can't Gallop? Some strategic direction for expansion (even if it is over the next 10 years god forbid!) would be a start rather than "consolidation" which is just another word for stagnation as far as i'm concerned.

He's not in the drivers seat. It's The Board that clearly dictates NRL policy, not the CEO and it's Gallops job to offer a public face in support of their decisions, rather than act as a more traditional Chief. I highly doubt his personal opinions come into these comments.

So, the AFL has been stagnant for 10 years?

HHH

Juniors
just on perth, i really cant see how they would not be able to support themselves right from the get go. everyone knows the place is booming right now, could you imagine the local sponsors they would get on board, i mean think about it no matter what AFL says no one in NSW and queensland cares about aussie rules, which means them sponsoring the eagles, docker or even the force means they dont reach the biggest and most economically powerful state in the country. the nrl dont have to do anything with perth but plant the seeds then water, once they are in theyll look after themselves and drive our price up in the mean time

greenhat

Juniors
nqboy said:
From bad to worse Greenhat.

why?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just honestly don't know anything much about the QRL so I'd be interested to know why it is a bad idea

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Isn't expansion usually tied in with TV rights? Look when the game was independant it grew in 1982, 1988 and 1995. Is it News Ltd saying no growth because we don't want to pay anymore otherwise we won't be able to take as much from the game?

shaggy

Juniors
no.2_lukeburt said:
On expansion, im against having an adelaide team.

a) decreasing and aging population.
b) too obsessed with AFL and very insular.

The priority list for expansion should be (imo)

1) Relocation to CC (3yrs)
2) Perth Team (3-5yrs)
3) Wellington Team (5yrs)
4) 4th QLD team (7-8yrs)
5) 2nd Vic team (7-10yrs)

1. CC is RL heartland that simply NEEDS a team, and before becoming 'national' i think we should take care of all the areas that has tremendous RL support and corporate dollars.

2. This is a requirement to halt the inroads that RU have been able to make, Perth, unlike adelaide will embrace other codes of footy and there is sufficient sponsorship/possible crowd support if the NRL suffer the short term losses.

3. A popuation of > 4 Million simply demands a second team, especially if there is a possibility for RL to take over some of the ground the soccer will relinquish when NZ lose thier A league team. There needs to be alot of marketing for this team to be a success, but knowing Kind, i wont hold my breath.

4. arguably the heartland of RL, will eventually demand and cater for a 4th franchise. Probably in SE QLD, although a Rockhampton based team will do well for the 'national game' image.

5. > 1 million people watched the GF. If there is sport, melbournians would love to watch it. People may laugh at the inability of the storm to draw crowds, but without the suffient groundwork this was never possible. If the pro AFL propoganda is to be restricted, and facts were reported as facts without ridiculing RL (calling us neanderthals etc.) this team could easily work.

There are 4 extra teams, and 1 relocation in my suggestion. Ideally an 18 team competition would work, so therefore i am of the view that some Sydney based franchises should either pack up shop or merge. however, if RL blooms to unimaginable heights there is no reason that we cant support a 20 team comp.

the people of south australia would well and truly get behind a adelaide team, given the proper marketing & the people knowing that the team will not disapear like the rams, adelaide is a smaller city than most so they have this get behind adelaide team small town mentallity of an us verses them thing which can work really well in a one team one state thing, stick a team in the jim beam cup along with the reds and give them a few years and theyll be good to go, as long as promtion is continued to be pushed ahead and media coverage is increased

what id love to see is something like millenium magic weekend hapening in either perth or adelaide next year (thought for it to work we would have to shift a game or two around)

Pazza

First Grade
we got teams in Brisbane, sydney, canberra and melbourne! who gives a sh*t about perth and adelade

Quidgybo

Bench
Pazza said:
we got teams in Brisbane, sydney, canberra and melbourne! who gives a sh*t about perth and adelade
Sponsors and television networks - ie. the ones that provide most of the game's funding. Both will pay more for access to a national market.

Leigh.