What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion 10 years away: Gallop

taxidriver

Coach
He conceded a few days ago that the NRL doesnt have the national profile of the AFL and that this has somewhat detracted from the games marketability amongst some big blue-chip corporate customers.

Of course that ommission is balanced by the game's international stature which the AFL doesnt have.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Perth Red said:
Never ceases to amaze me how we can have such a great game on the field and such idiots running it off it!

Also - every AFL club charges around $200-300 per year for memberships upfront. With 30,000 members, this contributes revenue of $6-9 millon p.a. League has been around for 100 years and we still haven't cottoned onto this.

News Limited don't want people at games, they want you at home watching 5 games in a row. As well as huge pricing at grounds, this conflicts with the idea of families going out to watch rugby league. It's a joke.

MayMoo

Juniors
Yeah,

Gallop also said not so long ago that bringing the Central Coast Bears in would reconnect the code with the North Shore and heal the last wound from the war by including the Bears (after they were the only team who missed out after the rationalisation process).

Then after the Gold Coast gets the nod he says how hard a decsion it was and it was line ball.

Now this ? I would have thought based on the above the Central Coast Bears would be a priority.

dimitri

First Grade
Rockin Ronny said:
Also - every AFL club charges around $200-300 per year for memberships upfront. With 30,000 members, this contributes revenue of $6-9 millon p.a. League has been around for 100 years and we still haven't cottoned onto this.

News Limited don't want people at games, they want you at home watching 5 games in a row. As well as huge pricing at grounds, this conflicts with the idea of families going out to watch rugby league. It's a joke.

RL offers similar prices for memberships

This year the NRL has really been pushing memberships - it will be interesting to see how successful it has been. As far as I am aware, the most successful clubs are Dragons and Broncos, however I would expect some big increases from some clubs including the roosters in their 100th season and a big number for the titans in their first season.

You will also find that many AFL and NRL clubs are offering a 'monthly payment' system for their memberships, including Essendon, Swans, Roosters and more.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Is it at all possible that News would want to keep the game on the "eastern seaboard" so it is perceived as not being national therefore they don't have to pay as much for it's rights? After all the AFL says they get more money because they are national.

Dogs Of War

Coach
dimitri said:
RL offers similar prices for memberships

This year the NRL has really been pushing memberships - it will be interesting to see how successful it has been. As far as I am aware, the most successful clubs are Dragons and Broncos, however I would expect some big increases from some clubs including the roosters in their 100th season and a big number for the titans in their first season.

You will also find that many AFL and NRL clubs are offering a 'monthly payment' system for their memberships, including Essendon, Swans, Roosters and more.

Your kidding right?

If they were pushing memberships, we would have see ads on TV saying sign up for christmas, maybe flyers in the local area. Special days where you can meet some stars and also sign up to the club.

I think rugby league needs to market to the people who can only attend 3-6 games a year better by making packages to suit those people. The other problem is that with the current schedule only being known 5 weeks in advance it's hard to say I want to attend X amount of games, as I don't know if I am going to be available.

shaggy

Juniors
well actually the nrl have been promtion memberships on its website, the nrl website emails, clubs websites, been advertised in the media

in sundays sun hearld, shane webcke stated that adelaide & perth need to be in the nrl immediatley

shane webcke the next nrl ceo

on the nrl lack of promoting the nrl game or the arl, it needs to be one single governing body, now i doubt that is going to happen while news is still half owners but it has to happen,

Quidgybo

Bench
shaggy said:
nrl lack of promoting the nrl game or the arl, it needs to be one single governing body, now i doubt that is going to happen while news is still half owners but it has to happen,
I don't think it needs to be a single governing body. Even if the ARL take full ownership, the NRL has a limited but distinct function - to run a profit generating first class professional club competition spanning the Australian *and* New Zealand markets. Let them get on with it while the ARL and NZRL get on with fostering and developing the game in their respective territories. The duplication and waste isn't in having an ARL and an NRL. It's in having an ARL and a NSWRL, and a CRL, and a QRL. Four bodies all essentially doing the same job. Replace them with a single reconstituted ARL that the metropolitan, group, regional and district leagues answer directly to (ie. do away with the middle men).

Leigh

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
On expansion, im against having an adelaide team.

a) decreasing and aging population.
b) too obsessed with AFL and very insular.

The priority list for expansion should be (imo)

1) Relocation to CC (3yrs)
2) Perth Team (3-5yrs)
3) Wellington Team (5yrs)
4) 4th QLD team (7-8yrs)
5) 2nd Vic team (7-10yrs)

1. CC is RL heartland that simply NEEDS a team, and before becoming 'national' i think we should take care of all the areas that has tremendous RL support and corporate dollars.

2. This is a requirement to halt the inroads that RU have been able to make, Perth, unlike adelaide will embrace other codes of footy and there is sufficient sponsorship/possible crowd support if the NRL suffer the short term losses.

3. A popuation of > 4 Million simply demands a second team, especially if there is a possibility for RL to take over some of the ground the soccer will relinquish when NZ lose thier A league team. There needs to be alot of marketing for this team to be a success, but knowing Kind, i wont hold my breath.

4. arguably the heartland of RL, will eventually demand and cater for a 4th franchise. Probably in SE QLD, although a Rockhampton based team will do well for the 'national game' image.

5. > 1 million people watched the GF. If there is sport, melbournians would love to watch it. People may laugh at the inability of the storm to draw crowds, but without the suffient groundwork this was never possible. If the pro AFL propoganda is to be restricted, and facts were reported as facts without ridiculing RL (calling us neanderthals etc.) this team could easily work.

There are 4 extra teams, and 1 relocation in my suggestion. Ideally an 18 team competition would work, so therefore i am of the view that some Sydney based franchises should either pack up shop or merge. however, if RL blooms to unimaginable heights there is no reason that we cant support a 20 team comp.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Rocky only has a population of 60k.

If you wanted another Qld city, there's Mackay - 80k, Cairns - 120k or the Sunshine Coast - 280k.

Going from the above you'd choose the SC... but its a very dispersed population of oldies and surfies as well as holiday makers. While this is changing, whether it would be ready in 7-8 years is a good question.

Of course Cairns would also be an issue as it's party of 'North Queensland', so unless it was called 'Far North Queensland' there may be a few issues.

I would be happy with your list in principle... but it would take a lot of work from administrators who don't seem to be into that sort of thing.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
aarondoyle said:
Rocky only has a population of 60k.

If you wanted another Qld city, there's Mackay - 80k, Cairns - 120k or the Sunshine Coast - 280k.

I would be happy with your list in principle... but it would take a lot of work from administrators who don't seem to be into that sort of thing.

see i didnt know these population numbers, who knows? maybe even a 2nd Brisbane team could work...? it all depends on the administators, as you said. Gallop has come on and steadied the ship, but he doesnt seem to be doing enough to take the game forward. And dont even get me started on Paul Kind.

This maybe outside the square, but i beleive we (NRL) should do a swap with Richard Lewis from the ESL. He is into this sort of thing, but the ESL is not stabilised enough... if the NRL were in the same position as the ESL, rest assured our current admin would not have approved the Les Catalans. Now, there is talk of a 2nd French team or a Wales team entering the ESL. Lewis is a guy with Initiative, and he would be invaluable in Australia.

Bomber

Bench
If you're thinking of a fourth Queensland team, why not Redcliffe?

They could include the Sunshine Coast in their catchment area. Brisbane is projected to become the second largest city in Australia in the next 30 years, and much of the growth will happen in this general area.

In my opinion, Cairns and Mackay come under the area of North Qld, and shouldn't be considered as it would weaken the viability of the Cowboys.

2nd Brisbane team for mine , the rivalry created in having two teams in brisbane would be awesome.

despite the Bruno cullen's assertions i think brisbane could easily cope with two teams . both in crowd support and corporate dollars. It has just worked so well for the AFL in Adelaide and perth , and they are much smaller than brisbane.

Also the fact that suncorp is only being used by rugby league 12-15 times a year is criminal , such an amazing stadium needs much more games.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
yeah, well ideally (25yrs) 5 teams out of 20 in QLD would be perfect, but the issue remains which team should get the go ahead 1st. If brisbane's growth is going to take 30 years so i suggest the redcliffe franchise/sunshine coast can work as well as the Titans, with the 5th team becoming the 2nd Brisbane team.

nqboy

First Grade
Agree that Cairns and Mackay should stay part of NQ rather than have their own team. Redcliffe is a bit like Cronulla, they are the only ones who care about them. I don't know whether they'd realy be able to engage the SC fans, that would require some really impressive marketing. Sunshine Coast by themselves is an option but there's little infrastructure there and they may struggle for sponsorship. 2nd Brisbane will probably be the go.

no.2_lukeburt said:
yeah, well ideally (25yrs) 5 teams out of 20 in QLD would be perfect, but the issue remains which team should get the go ahead 1st. If brisbane's growth is going to take 30 years so i suggest the redcliffe franchise/sunshine coast can work as well as the Titans, with the 5th team becoming the 2nd Brisbane team.

Brisbane already has a population of 1.9 million though , easily enough to accomodate 2 nrl teams.

anyway couldnt a Redcliffe team play out of brisbane ? much like Fremantle dockers playing out of perth? how far out of brisbane is redcliffe?

although i think i would prefer a team independent of just one queensland cup side to garner as much widespread support as possible.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
Brisbane already has a population of 1.9 million though , easily enough to accomodate 2 nrl teams.

anyway couldnt a Redcliffe team play out of brisbane ? much like Fremantle dockers playing out of perth? how far out of brisbane is redcliffe?

although i think i would prefer a team independent of just one queensland cup side to garner as much widespread support as possible.

but the fact is, since the SL war, RL has become centralised in brisbane. This would be very difficult to work with, thats why i beleive the people have to demand a new team, before they are given one. If not, the broncos would still have all the support.

nqboy

First Grade
In chronological order: Perth/Wellington, Wellington/Perth. CC doesn't count as it must be a relocation.