What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

Stallion

First Grade
Was going to go in to it on the crowd watch but realized it was getting off topic. I know it's a bit nitpicky but no way Redcliffe gets in for me as just 'Redcliffe'. Unless they expand their brand and target reach to North and East Brisbane and up the coast as far as Sunny Coast, Gympie and Bundaberg. Hard to see them having much success with that with an isolated suburb name.

We have too many teams with suburb names as it is without giving a rare expansion spot to another in my opinion. Put it up against a bid that is tagreting Ipswich, Logan and southwestern QLD and Redcliffe have to up their game to be a chance.

Agree. North Brisbane Dolphins or Brisbane Dolphins?

jim_57

Staff member
Agree. North Brisbane Dolphins or Brisbane Dolphins?

I don't mind 'Moreton Bay' as a name if using North Brisbane isn't going to work. Moreton Bay covers North Eastern Brisbane, Redcliffe and up to the lower parts of Sunshine Coast.

I won't pretend to have all the answers but I just don't think adding a team who can't compromise on their identity a bit is worth it.

jim_57

Staff member
Western Brisbane Hornets (keeping with the Jets theme.)

I'm interested to hear any alternative location names as well as mascot names here. For the likes of Western Corridor, Dolphins and NZ2 bids finding a name that encompasses all their target areas is a bit tricky without resorting to generic shit like "Southern Orcas" or "Western Jets".

greenBV4

Bench
Some of these will never make in into the comp but:

Top-End Taipans
Northern Eagles (NT)
Moreton Bay Dolphins
Brisbane Ibises
Geelong Wolves
Bay City Bushrangers
Adelaide Bears
Adelaide Panthers
Hobart Devils
Tasmanian Tigers
Pacific Sharks
Western Tigers (WA)
Southern Orcas (NZ)

note: I'm not saying manly, sharks, panthers and tigers should go, they are just popular mascots that I think would suit those areas

Stallion

First Grade
Suggest the local flora and forna names might be good in a mostly Australian competition.: Dingos,Wombats,Emus, etc..Also think more descriptive locality names are more effective. For example; Moreton Bay Dolphins, West Melbourne Wombats, Adelaide Dingoes etc.

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Suggest the local flora and forna names might be good in a mostly Australian competition.: Dingos,Wombats,Emus, etc..Also think more descriptive locality names are more effective. For example; Moreton Bay Dolphins, West Melbourne Wombats, Adelaide Dingoes etc.
I agree with using something a bit more descriptive like a major city or region (MacArthur, South Coast, Shell Harbour, etc) to represent instead of just a compass direction (Sth East, West, etc.) unless it’s coupled with a city/capital.

The Great Dane

First Grade

The problem with names like Dingoes, Wombats, Emus, etc, is that there's no local element to them, you could use those names for literally anywhere in the country and they'd fit.

So unless there's some other reason connecting the name with the brand or region that the club is coming from (like in Wests or Collingwood's case they are called the Magpies because they wear black and white) they tend to come off as generic and plastic.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Firstly, you misspelled Bin-chicken

Yeah Bin-Chicken's would be much more marketable and culturally relevant than Ibises, they'd probably turn over merch to people that just want it for the lols as well, but let's be honest if a club ever tried to take that name there're a bunch of stuffy people who take themselves to seriously that'd knock it down but would probably be ok with the name Ibises.

greenBV4

Bench
Yeah Bin-Chicken's would be much more marketable and culturally relevant than Ibises, they'd probably turn over merch to people that just want it for the lols as well, but let's be honest if a club ever tried to take that name there're a bunch of stuffy people who take themselves to seriously that'd knock it down but would probably be ok with the name Ibises.
Firstly, you misspelled Bin-chicken
I saw the thread about it and laughed at first but then thought about it and it could actually work, as Ibises for business and "official" purposes, and as bris-bin chickens as a nickname/ social media thing

Merch would fly off the shelves

greenBV4

Bench
I’m not sure about mixing City and Bush in the one name. If a team is going to use a moniker like Bushranger I think it really needs to appeal/represent a country/regional area. I like some of your other options and ideas though.
Didnt think of that but its a good point, I was focuses more on the alliteration of the B's

"Greater Vic" maybe? A second vic club is a long way off and when/if it came it couldnt really be based anywhere but Melbourne, or maybe Geelong

Stallion

First Grade
The problem with names like Dingoes, Wombats, Emus, etc, is that there's no local element to them, you could use those names for literally anywhere in the country and they'd fit.

So unless there's some other reason connecting the name with the brand or region that the club is coming from (like in Wests or Collingwood's case they are called the Magpies because they wear black and white) they tend to come off as generic and plastic.

I think some alliteration links are a good fit: West Melbourne Wombats (W), Adelaide Dingoes (D) etc. For instance: Brisbane Broncos works due to alliteration.

greenBV4

Bench
I agree with using something a bit more descriptive like a major city or region (MacArthur, South Coast, Shell Harbour, etc) to represent instead of just a compass direction (Sth East, West, etc.) unless it’s coupled with a city/capital.

I think compass directions are fine if they are the absolute for the direction

for example western is fine for a Perth team but in a national comp calling a western part of a single city just western annoys me (wests tigers..), for a newcomer how are they supposed to know off the bat where that team is based?

we also probably want to avoid too many "coasts", imagine have a west, central, gold, sunshine, north, south etc. coast in the same league, also the compass thing comes into the coast names as well

Alternatives for "greater areas" like Moreton Bay and North Queensland are much better in my books

Stallion

First Grade
I think compass directions are fine if they are the absolute for the direction

for example western is fine for a Perth team but in a national comp calling a western part of a single city just western annoys me (wests tigers..), for a newcomer how are they supposed to know off the bat where that team is based?

we also probably want to avoid too many "coasts", imagine have a west, central, gold, sunshine, north, south etc. coast in the same league, also the compass thing comes into the coast names as well

Alternatives for "greater areas" like Moreton Bay and North Queensland are much better in my books

Perth Pirates also has an alliteration link. Although West Coast Pirates is unique and also accurate location wise.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

Yeah, you make a good point about the ‘Coast’ names and that there is a risk of there being too many. Unfortunately being an island nation with most of our population base around coastlines it’s a hard name to avoid, especially when these coasts also represent greater regions rather than single cities. Some coastal names could be replaced with ‘Bay’ (like Moreton Bay, Redlands Bay, Deception Bay) or ‘Harbour’ (Coffs, North, etc.).

Maybe a Brisbane Bays Trawlers/Stingrays, North Harbour Bears/Sea Eagles, etc.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Was going to go in to it on the crowd watch but realized it was getting off topic. I know it's a bit nitpicky but no way Redcliffe gets in for me as just 'Redcliffe'. Unless they expand their brand and target reach to North and East Brisbane and up the coast as far as Sunny Coast, Gympie and Bundaberg. Hard to see them having much success with that with an isolated suburb name.

We have too many teams with suburb names as it is without giving a rare expansion spot to another in my opinion. Put it up against a bid that is tagreting Ipswich, Logan and southwestern QLD and Redcliffe have to up their game to be a chance.

I think playing on the traditional suburban name could work for them more than it does in Sydney. 1) because they would be one of only two clubs in our city 2) beacuse they are the biggest brand in the QRL and are a traditional footy club that would appeal to many as the offset to the corporate Broncos and they would heal some wounds from the old BRL that the Broncos entering the NSW Cup destroyed.

Redcliffe would be the people's team here for sure. I for one would support them and I live nowhere near Redcliffe or have any connection to the place.

wain

Juniors
Adelaide boy here...cant stand the thought of the Rams being reborn...such an ugly time and memory for lots.
My thoughts on a name come after I did some research on the history a few years ago, with many units being based in and around Adelaide.
So, Id go Adelaide Lighthorsemen, or even better Southern Lighthorsemen.
my 2 cents

taipan

Referee
Adelaide boy here...cant stand the thought of the Rams being reborn...such an ugly time and memory for lots.
My thoughts on a name come after I did some research on the history a few years ago, with many units being based in and around Adelaide.
So, Id go Adelaide Lighthorsemen, or even better Southern Lighthorsemen.
my 2 cents

Then call them the Adelaide Avengers.
Sounds tough, sounds threatening.

Stallion

First Grade
I think playing on the traditional suburban name could work for them more than it does in Sydney. 1) because they would be one of only two clubs in our city 2) beacuse they are the biggest brand in the QRL and are a traditional footy club that would appeal to many as the offset to the corporate Broncos and they would heal some wounds from the old BRL that the Broncos entering the NSW Cup destroyed.

Redcliffe would be the people's team here for sure. I for one would support them and I live nowhere near Redcliffe or have any connection to the place.

You make some good sense! Well done.We differ on the Sydney club names. They are longstanding and historically plus culturally relevant and reveared universally. But back to your Dolphins comment: Think a "Dolphins " club would be a good fit for a second Brisbane team ! Be it Brisbane Dolphins , North Brisbane Dolphins, Moreton Bay Dolphins. It’s a long overdue positive for the code going forward . Let's hope it happens as the Broncos are doing their manipulative best to make this second team in Brisbane not happen.

Last edited: