What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

T-Boon

Coach
I think the team from the South Island should be called the South Island Frozen.
This works with their climate and also it would attract a lot of girls/mothers to the game.
They could get Elsa as their mascot.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah, no two sporting teams ever have the same name :neutral_face:

Not next door to each other playing near identical sports they don’t. It’d create a ton of confusion in the NZ sporting market and create massive legal headaches, the NRalmwouldnt go within a mile of it.

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors
Not next door to each other playing near identical sports they don’t. It’d create a ton of confusion in the NZ sporting market and create massive legal headaches, the NRalmwouldnt go within a mile of it.
Each to their own bro.

I think if you give the pacific islands a brand they can relate to (Chiefs) it'll separate them.

Each to their own though, hey

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Each to their own bro.

I think if you give the pacific islands a brand they can relate to (Chiefs) it'll separate them.

The existing Cheifs already have a large Maori/PI following. The league and union fanbases in NZ have a lot of overlap, you’d end up with people being fans of both teams. It’d be confusing as all hell. And in any case the NZRFU own the trademark:

https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/search/view/770142?q=CHIEFS

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Yeah, no two sporting teams ever have the same name :neutral_face:
I suppose in a sense of moniker then yes, there are loads of Tigers, Cowboys, Roos, etc. but a club with an identical name is a little less common. The identical name could be beneficial though.

The example I use in this instance is some AFL clubs aligning themselves with Netball clubs in the National competition. The GWS Giants align with the womens netball team of the same name. If it were successful then the two teams/sports could mutually help each other like ticket deals etc.

Imagine if in the same concept there was a netball team aligned with an NRL team, as an example I'll use Canberra. So let's say that members of the Canberra Raiders netball team also have ticketing benefits to attend NRL games. You would be tapping into a potentially untapped target audience all because they support the 'Raiders'. The same can go back the other way and members of the NRL club can get ticketing benefits to the netball. This then helps the netball get bigger crowds and the members of the NRL club might be enticed to take their whole family to the netball. As they both share the same name then both sports feed into the one club.

Apply this to a Brisbane situation, A second team could be the Brisbane Bandits (a name that was mentioned in an earlier reply) and they are mutually supported by the Baseball team of the same name. The Baseball gets exposure from advertising at the NRL games and potentially increases their crowd attendance and the NRL gets a new club and a potential supporter base of those who already support the baseball team.

All hypothetical of course but its an idea and a new team name.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I loved the Reds brand but happy with Pirates, it’s unique and should be a marketeers dream. If we dont sell the most merchandise in the nrl someone needs a new job!

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I loved the Reds brand but happy with Pirates, it’s unique and should be a marketeers dream. If we dont sell the most merchandise in the nrl someone needs a new job!
They could tie it in with Disney if they decided to film another Pirates of the Caribbean movie in WA.

greenBV4

Bench
I suppose in a sense of moniker then yes, there are loads of Tigers, Cowboys, Roos, etc. but a club with an identical name is a little less common. The identical name could be beneficial though.

The example I use in this instance is some AFL clubs aligning themselves with Netball clubs in the National competition. The GWS Giants align with the womens netball team of the same name. If it were successful then the two teams/sports could mutually help each other like ticket deals etc.

Imagine if in the same concept there was a netball team aligned with an NRL team, as an example I'll use Canberra. So let's say that members of the Canberra Raiders netball team also have ticketing benefits to attend NRL games. You would be tapping into a potentially untapped target audience all because they support the 'Raiders'. The same can go back the other way and members of the NRL club can get ticketing benefits to the netball. This then helps the netball get bigger crowds and the members of the NRL club might be enticed to take their whole family to the netball. As they both share the same name then both sports feed into the one club.

Apply this to a Brisbane situation, A second team could be the Brisbane Bandits (a name that was mentioned in an earlier reply) and they are mutually supported by the Baseball team of the same name. The Baseball gets exposure from advertising at the NRL games and potentially increases their crowd attendance and the NRL gets a new club and a potential supporter base of those who already support the baseball team.

All hypothetical of course but its an idea and a new team name.

I think you'll find the reason those netball sides have the same/similar names and branding is that they are owned or partially owned by those afl clubs (also as a side note the Storm own a share in the Sunshine Coast Lightning, hence the team colours and storm/lighting link)

The main reason you dont see clubs with the same name is they would be facing a lawsuit if they did

MugaB

Coach
Brisbane Spartans?
Too close to titans in my opinion
Better off going with an animal mascot
Their seems to be a trend with newer teams to go with humanoid figures
I much prefer an animal, as the older NSWRL pre 1980 had only the jets in a league full of animal mascots
Eels, rabbits, roosters, panthers, tigers, bears, sharks, dragons, bulldogs, sea eagles, magpies
Then steelers, raiders, knights, cowboys, warriors, crushers, mariners, titans/chargers/giants
Only Broncos, reds, and rams since then
Need more animals, i like that moreso

MugaB

Coach
Each to their own bro.

South Pacific "Islanders"
Its an alternative to warriors and vague enough to support any inclusion from any Pacific nation, be it fiji, samoa, tonga, cook islands and NZ
And can have a totem pole as the icon

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surprised nobody has used Dingoes, or greys (as in kangaroo)

South Pacific Tribe would be a good name but don’t think the concept of a combined South Pacific team works.

Stallion

First Grade
Surprised nobody has used Dingoes, or greys (as in kangaroo)

South Pacific Tribe would be a good name but don’t think the concept of a combined South Pacific team works.

Gday PR. I've used Dingoes previously many times for Adelaide Dingoes. But glad you have noted the name!

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I think you'll find the reason those netball sides have the same/similar names and branding is that they are owned or partially owned by those afl clubs (also as a side note the Storm own a share in the Sunshine Coast Lightning, hence the team colours and storm/lighting link)

The main reason you dont see clubs with the same name is they would be facing a lawsuit if they did
Yeah, I understand the legalities of 2 seperate identities trying to use the same name.

As for the AFL Club ownership of the netball teams, whether its aligned to or owned by an NRL franchise the benefit is still there to mutually support one controlling entity. They son't even have to have the same name as shown by the Sydney Swans/Sydney Swifts model.

I just think it's an interesting business model.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah, I understand the legalities of 2 seperate identities trying to use the same name.

As for the AFL Club ownership of the netball teams, whether its aligned to or owned by an NRL franchise the benefit is still there to mutually support one controlling entity. They son't even have to have the same name as shown by the Sydney Swans/Sydney Swifts model.

I just think it's an interesting business model.

Remember back at start of superleague Paris St-Germain had this idea of becoming a global multi sport club and hence PSG rugby league club was added in ESL, sadly it didn’t last long.

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors
Are Tongans, Fijians and Samoans going to come together to support some hybrid identity club? I have my doubts.
Why wouldn't they?

They come together in the community, the Pacific Islands Union team drew big crowds anywhere they played back in the 2000s.

It'd be a pathway to a better life for all of their communities, I'm not seeing any reason why they wouldn't

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why wouldn't they?

They come together in the community, the Pacific Islands Union team drew big crowds anywhere they played back in the 2000s.

It'd be a pathway to a better life for all of their communities, I'm not seeing any reason why they wouldn't

If anything the turn out of Tongan fans for their national side maybe shows that a Tongan related club side based in Auckland could be a future option for nz3 after we get a club in Wellington or South Island. You’d want to be confident it wouldn’t cannabilise the warriors fan base though.