What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion won't happen anytime soon

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Kinda lame? That was the name voted by the public.

yeah but did you see the other names they had to choose from? not exactly a creative list
the chargers or sting-rays would have been better names imo

i just think the light blue and yellow titan brand isnt interesting or marketable. i'd love to see the gold coast do well, but i cant see it happening anytime soon.

Become the BEARS!
bears fans are so desperate to see them back in the comp, i think they'd go anyway just to have them back

anyway, very very unlikely it'd happen. it will be interesting to see what happens to the titans in the next 5 years though

t-ba

Post Whore
What the f**k is this shit? The summer of truth tellers or some crap?

I'm pretty sure the NRL would sell their 50% to Triguboff if he wanted it btw.

alien

Referee
What the f**k is this shit? The summer of truth tellers or some crap?

I'm pretty sure the NRL would sell their 50% to Triguboff if he wanted it btw.

godfather harry has already said he isn't interested in owning a part of wests tigers. it's all or nothing, so it's nothing

BuffaloRules

Coach
godfather harry has already said he isn't interested in owning a part of wests tigers. it's all or nothing, so it's nothing

You must have missed my earlier point about 50 per cent of something being better than a 100 percent of nothing.

He could probably cover the $2million NRL loan to Balmain from the credit cards in his wallet..

alien

Referee
You must have missed my earlier point about 50 per cent of something being better than a 100 percent of nothing.

He could probably cover the $2million NRL loan to Balmain from the credit cards in his wallet..

no i didn't miss it, but i know that he doesn't want 50%. he won't bother, unless it's 100%, and wests aren't sellin'!

i know he could easily pay off the debt if he wanted to

davi

Juniors
NRL has re-affirmed that the competition won't be getting a expansion team anytime soon. Brisbane Bombers and a potential team in Ipswich will be disappointed. NRL have suggested the better way would be for teams to get a team would be to enter a team in a lower division competition.

"Aspiring NRL teams like the Brisbane Bombers should enter a team into rugby league's new-look second tier instead of pushing for direct entry, NRL head of football Brian Canavan says.

Canavan has declared expansion of the NRL is "off the table", but expansion of the Intrust Super Cup in Queensland and NSW's Intrust Super Premiership is very much up for discussion.

Those competitions will take on added importance from 2018 as the NRL phases out the Holden Cup and replaces it with under-20s leagues in each state.

By 2022, rugby league's second tier could include more teams from regional areas, the Northern Territory, Western Australia, Pacific Island nations and even a second New Zealand team, all of which have been earmarked as potential new sides by the NRL.

But it could also serve as a springboard for new entities like the Bombers, who have been pushing for a spot in the NRL for several years, only to have been repeatedly turned away by a reluctant governing body.

Asked if the Bombers would be welcome to apply for an Intrust Super Cup licence, Canavan said: "That would be a more appropriate way to go about it."

"(If you) develop from the bottom up, that ensures sustainability for the future rather than just be a one-out club.

"It builds the capacity, builds the brand, builds a player base, an administration base - all that ready to go for the next level."

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant said last year the NRL's 17th club would likely come from south-east Queensland.

However, the NRL has since gone cold on the idea of expansion in the short term and Canavan said there would be no new additions for several years.

"Expansion at the NRL level is off the table. That's not to say it won't come back onto the table at some stage into the distant future," he said.

"But expansion is on the table at the second-tier, state cup levels, and if we can accommodate affiliate states ... that widens our base.

"Then, if we wanted to expand way down the track, we've got a bigger base, a bigger pool of players to call upon to advance the competition."

http://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/18069407/states-springboard-wannabe-nrl-clubs

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
A Ridiculous and unbelievably stupid decision. We could be in a position in 2022 where we have not expanded the comp beyond 16 teams. But instead we will have a Western Australia team and NZ 2 in reserve grade?? If the NRL wants to grow it has to expand. The AFL will continue to make inroads as the A league continues to grow. The NRL will be left behind

A Ridiculous and unbelievably stupid decision. We could be in a position in 2022 where we have not expanded the comp beyond 16 teams. But instead we will have a Western Australia team and NZ 2 in reserve grade?? If the NRL wants to grow it has to expand. The AFL will continue to make inroads as the A league continues to grow. The NRL will be left behind
Its beyond why why the NRL doesn't expand.
They would get extra TV money which would more than cover the cost of expansion teams
There is loads of room for expansion in Perth. Wellington and Queensland. There is already a stadium build on the Central Coast waiting for a NRL club.
The NRL is very insular and needs to wake up and smell the coffee

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Yeah, one wonders why we keep propping up clubs and building up players wages rather than bring in 2 extra sides. If the plan is to use the 2nd tier comps to prepare clubs to be ready for the top tier then i can see some logic in that but at the rate the NRL moves it could take forever. For example, someone should have made sure that the Fiji NSW bid was ready for 2017. But things move way too slowly.

paulmac

Juniors
F*ck me it's frustrating being a RL fan.Soccer will have a 2nd Brisbane team before the NRL.
The AFL will be loving this decision,a 2nd Brisbane team would almost kill the Lions off.

jim_57

Staff member
I like the part about WA, NT & Pacific Islands etc being looked at for the 2nd tier. Ideally you'd have a good spread of teams in NSW & QLD with NT, WA, Victoria, SA, 2-3 NZ (with links to Samoa, Tonga etc), 1-2 PNG and Fiji.

BUT

There needs to be growth at NRL level above this. WA and Brisbane 2 really are no brainers.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I read somewhere they are looking at having 16 teams in both the NSW and Qld cup, how many expansion slots is that. What does everyone think the split will be?

jim_57

Staff member
I read somewhere they are looking at having 16 teams in both the NSW and Qld cup, how many expansion slots is that. What does everyone think the split will be?
Current NSW Cup + Fiji, NZ2, WA & ??? (Maybe Regional NSW)
Current QLD Cup + NT & Toowoomba

At a total guess