What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion won't happen anytime soon

BuffaloRules

Coach
The only hope for expansion during the 2018-2022 TV deal would be if the NRL decide say around 2020 that an 18 team comp is confirmed for the next TV deal commencing 2023.

It would be wise to avoid a player bidding frenzy with 2 new teams throwing money around like drunk sailors on their first day of shore leave and bring in one team in 2022 (17 team comp) and the other in 2023.

Perth would be my preference for the first team as you could experiment with some new live time slots to show their potential before the next TV deal is done..

No, been same news since we started getting excited in 2008. Difference is the timeline is being pushed further and further away. Good news is by time we get a team I'll be a pensioner and get cheaper tickets!

I've come to terms with the state of the NRL and its lack of ambition, it's others who keep the fire burning lol.

Ps this is the expansion section, suggest you keep out t if you're frustrated by people talking expansion!
The lack of ambition by the NRL makes us the laughing stock of Australian sport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's what smith said in mid 2015

Then late 2015 we had Richardson saying at least three years
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/b176653e00348c6cb5f2cce9248e452f

Fast forward to late 2016 and we have Canavan saying:
However, the NRL has since gone cold on the idea of expansion in the short term and Canavan said there would be no new additions for several years.
"Expansion at the NRL level is off the table. That's not to say it won't come back onto the table at some stage into the distant future," he said.

So who knows when, if or ever we will see new teams in the NRL but it certainly isnt going to be before 2022 at the earliest (barring an existing club relocating or falling over)

That's what smith said in mid 2015

Then late 2015 we had Richardson saying at least three years
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/b176653e00348c6cb5f2cce9248e452f

Fast forward to late 2016 and we have Canavan saying:
However, the NRL has since gone cold on the idea of expansion in the short term and Canavan said there would be no new additions for several years.
"Expansion at the NRL level is off the table. That's not to say it won't come back onto the table at some stage into the distant future," he said.

So who knows when, if or ever we will see new teams in the NRL but it certainly isnt going to be before 2022 at the earliest (barring an existing club relocating or falling over)
Dave Smith wasn't wrong.

Perth Red

Post Whore
None of them have been wrong since Gallop in 2008 started to dangle the carrot but offer none committal comments like sometime in the future, not immediately but certainly in our considerations blah blh blah

No doubt in 2020 someone will be telling us it isnt in immediate plans but never say never.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Well, the Broncos are the biggest impediment for another Brisbane team even though Nine has been calling for it for years and it has the least risk of any option..

Once you get to 17, 18 won't be too far behind..

Marlins

Juniors
It seems to me the NRL is expanding I really hope for a NT,Fiji,Toowoomba, Perth, Adelaide,NZ2/3.
In the last 10 years the Nrl has introduced
PNG Hunters, Mackay Cutters, Sunshine Coast Falcons to the QCUP.
The Gold Coast Titans in the top flight.
Auckland Warriors in the NswCup.
How is that not expanding PR?
Not to mention getting the 2billion Tv rights deal.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think we missed this news article from the Australian last month as its hard to find behind the paywall...

Looks like Grant is already saying expansion after the 2023 deal is unlikely and he prefers to concentrate on expanding the feeder leagues...

I think our mate PR is going to have a coronary after reading this....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...l/news-story/c084437904da62c3e9f831e585789d24

The Australian 15 oct
Expanding the NSW and Qld Cup competitions, with the possible inclusion of teams from Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and New Zealand, will take precedence over adding more teams to the NRL competition, according to ARL Commission head John Grant.

While first grade bidding teams such as the West Coast Pirates in Perth, Brisbane Bombers and Central Coast Bears continue to wait in the wings, the ARLC is looking to invite sides from the Pacific and a second team from New Zealand.

The Warriors already play in the NSW Cup, and Papua New Guinea have been playing in the Qld Cup since 2014.

Grant said the NRL could increase beyond the current 16 teams by the time a new broadcast deal is negotiated for 2023 and beyond, but it was unlikely. The $1.8 billion deal struck in November last year comes into operation in 2018 and will expire in 2022.

The NRL has previously stated no expansion beyond 2020. Grant conceded the idea of growing the elite level was not completely out of range for the 2023 negotiations.

“Perhaps, but it would depend entirely on what our participation rates are looking like,” the chairman said. “Participation is like a pyramid. If you don’t build up the base you can’t add more to the top.

“Remember our expansion strategy is around State cups. With the NYC (under-20s) ending at the end of 2017 that’s around 400 players coming out of there and going into the NSW and Qld Cups and a few into the NRL.”

To accommodate that influx and deepen the pool of talent, Grant said the commission wanted to build off the growing popularity of rugby league both within Australia and among its neighbours.

Samoa hosted its first Test match last Saturday against Fiji, when around 10,000 spectators crammed into Apia’s stadium to help celebrate Samoan rugby league’s 30th anniversary.

The two nations, along with PNG and Tonga, already play in two Pacific Tests on the representative weekend in May, when Australia meet New Zealand and the NSW City-Country matches are held.

The ARLC wants to piggy back on the resurgence of the Pacific nations. Around 36 per cent of current NRL players come from a Polynesian background and that figure grows to over 60 per cent in junior grades. So instead of widening the NRL, or trying to start up a Victoria State Cup, the idea is to strengthen the NSW and Qld competitions.

“We’d see teams playing from around the Pacific, into New Zealand and from around Australia in that competition,” Grant said. “We’ll be putting much, much more of it on television as part of the new rights deal (starting 2018).

“We see expansion in that tier two competition having a much broader footprint. But another element of that is to make sure those clubs are closely linked to an NRL club so players coming back — who are not playing NRL — come back into those teams and make them strong on a competitive basis.

“So when people talk about expansion with me, I tell them it’s expansion at the tier two level.”

Perth Red

Post Whore
not really, as I said we have been spun the same line since 2008. RL seems destined to remain a big fish in a small pond.

BuffaloRules

Coach
not really, as I said we have been spun the same line since 2008. RL seems destined to remain a big fish in a small pond.

Normally there is some bullsh*t spin that expansion will be "on the table" for the next TV deal time which is then shot down when the deal is announced...

This time Grant is essentially ruling it out of the deal after the next deal that is still 7 years away!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Grant will be gone long before 2022, hopefully we have some competent leadership in place by then.

Don't be silly Siv, why would the East Coast RL have anyone other than the QRL and NSWRL at the table?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I think we missed this news article from the Australian last month as its hard to find behind the paywall...

Looks like Grant is already saying expansion after the 2023 deal is unlikely and he prefers to concentrate on expanding the feeder leagues...

I think our mate PR is going to have a coronary after reading this....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...l/news-story/c084437904da62c3e9f831e585789d24

Cannot believe how they are doing this and ruling out any expansion is so short sighted its not funny. This would all be fine if 9/16 clubs were not based in sydney and we had additional presence in perth, Brisbane and NZ.

I am hearing in some articles there will be teams added from across the pacific and in other articles of teams from regional NSW. All of which they are trying to squeeze into a 16 team NSW/southern league, currently dominated by metropolitan and NRL reserve grade sides. Do they seriously think that sydney based NRL clubs are going to agree to their surplus players each week being shunted around the bush yet alone the pacific?

I hope the competitions at this level work as they intend with a decentralization from sydney in particular critical but i struggle to see the sydney clubs buying into it due to their normal short term thinking.

alien

Referee
There should definitely be a Perth team and an Adelaide team in the NRL. The NRL might see it as a risk and they might be worried that they would have to help them financially, but Adelaide Rams and Perth Reds were getting some good crowds until the Super League stuff happened. Perth and Adelaide both have good rectangular stadiums that they can use now too. I'm sure the NRL would get more from the tv rights deals by having a Perth team and an Adelaide team. Surely that would cover what little financial help they MIGHT need. 2 relocations from Sydney could work, but the NRL would probably have to dangle a big carrot (millions of dollars) to convince a Sydney club to choose that option, and why would a club choose that option when the NRL keeps saving clubs from their own incompetence?

alien

Referee
The broadcasters want a second team in Brisbane

I'm not against a second Brisbane team, but Brisbane already has a team, and the Titans are just down the road, so I feel there should be a Perth team and an Adelaide team before a second Brisbane team. The AFL are laughing at us.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In the ideal world where we had an NRL led by decent manage,net we would see two year of decent funding to existing 16 clubs to sort out their incompetence
Perth and Brisbane2 announced in 2018 for 2020 entry to maximise next tv deal likely to be negotiated in 2020
Wellington in 2024 and Adelaide 2025

That would pretty much see the NRL sweet until PNG and Fiji are ready to join

Latest posts