What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion won't happen anytime soon

Marlins

Juniors
Current NSW Cup + Fiji, NZ2, WA & ??? (Maybe Regional NSW)
Current QLD Cup + NT & Toowoomba

At a total guess
That's exactly what I thought with Adelaide added also the nsw cup. The idea is also for all 32 teams to have a under 20's side as well and for each Nrl side to have two feeder clubs. This is a great idea for bringing and keeping more players in the game but they can't achieve over night I'm glad they are taking there time and making sure each is bid/teams is as prepared as it can be unlike fumball who threw $120 million into seqld sides this year just too keep them afloat. The nrl is also talking about broadcasting all these games hopefully all in gem & the dedicated Fox channel and will be trying to find big sponsors. By 22' I'm nearly certain we will see a 18 team NRL with WCPirates & Nz2 added.

johnny plath

Juniors
Current NSW Cup + Fiji, NZ2, WA & ??? (Maybe Regional NSW)
Current QLD Cup + NT & Toowoomba

At a total guess
This sounds good but it makes a mockery of the rationale for cutting the nyc...if no new regional teams are added from nsw them kids are still going to have to move away to where the nrl teams are. ..exactly where they are now. And it sounds good in theory having 32 clubs aligned with 16 nrl teams but how does that work considering 3 qld teams and 12 nsw/act. It's not realistic for all of those nsw based nrl clubs to adopt a qld region plus there own local is it?

siv

First Grade
Whats me is that a expansion club needs to setup a RG U20 U18 and U16 club

Then when they get to NRL level

They to abandon all of their lower grades

CC_Roosters

First Grade
This sounds good but it makes a mockery of the rationale for cutting the nyc...if no new regional teams are added from nsw them kids are still going to have to move away to where the nrl teams are. ..exactly where they are now. And it sounds good in theory having 32 clubs aligned with 16 nrl teams but how does that work considering 3 qld teams and 12 nsw/act. It's not realistic for all of those nsw based nrl clubs to adopt a qld region plus there own local is it?

My thoughts as well. it's far to imbalanced at the moment in favour of Nsw. and yes if they don't end up with proper pathways to professionalism in the bush then it will have been a waste of time and a dishonest at one at that. I am very sceptical until I see results

taipan

Referee
I want expansion for the NRL as much as anyone and I get bleeding frustrated and have done so since the first Tv deal which we were ripped off, but I can grudgingly see where the NRL is coming from.

1) They still have to sell off the Knights and Titans,that should bring back $20m into the NRL coffers.PLus the ongoing running costs apart from normal grants ,the NRL has been incurring.
2) The Tigers need to be bedded down from the Balmain side ,who owe the NRL a few million.And the Dragons need to get back to financial stability.
3)Putting new NRL teams in ,is no guarantee of money not being spent like confetti.exhibit A & B Suns and GWS,plus the Lions financial debacle.
4)Having this new state comp for the young guys gives them time with their families,completion of schooling/studies ,meaning fewer tossing rl in.Eventually this forms a far bigger playing pool for actual NRL expansion.I hope teams from Fiji/NT/NZ/WA etc are added.
5) The talent is stretched in both union and fumble ball.In reality only 1 NRL team was pushing it this year the Knights,the rest at least competitive.
6) Grant has stated $100m pa extra will be allocated to grassroots, and the current money pie is only so big.
7) The TV stations on the current deal only paid the extra Money because of Thursday nights and 6pm Friday nights.
8)The NRL have to put money into the new Nth Queensland stadium, and maybe have to contribute something toward Parramatta and ANZ.
9) A female 9 a side comp is being planned for either 2017/18 for Sydney clubs,That costs.
10) Every club except the Donkeys lost money.The question is ,do you tell these clubs to nick off with their band of supporters and bring in new clubs?Good luck with that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol so we may get a second tier team in 2022 and a NRL team even further away. The game is a joke. Rip the vision of a "NATIONAL"RL

johnny plath

Juniors
My thoughts as well. it's far to imbalanced at the moment in favour of Nsw. and yes if they don't end up with proper pathways to professionalism in the bush then it will have been a waste of time and a dishonest at one at that. I am very sceptical until I see results

The thing giving me the shits with this is the spin and bullshit around welfare, decentralising, and staying at home. Unless some strict anti-movement laws exist kids will still be moving. If the storm id a kid from Central Qld, guess what, he'll be moving to the Sunshine Coast - thats what happens now and thats what will continue to happen. If Parramatta id a Brisbane kid - he'll be moving to Sydney. Under this model, if you think the Storm will only be developing kids who are growing up on the Sunshine Coast and ignoring all the other talent around your dreaming. Kids want to chase their dream, and the serious ones will go where they have to. Stop this bullshit about it being about the kids, because in reality nothing has changed except we will now have two weaker comps for the elite, rather than one strong one.

this is from the NRL website:
http://www.nrl.com/queensland-open-to-nsw-invasion/tabid/10874/newsid/102643/default.aspx

"They were disheartened. They thought they'd missed out. They went from wearing an NRL badge to wearing an Intrust Super Cup badge again and that had a big impact on those kids.

"We always thought to line the pathway up and keep the players at home, keep them in their Intrust Super Cup kit as long as we could, made a significant difference to that."

Walters, Cowboys coach Paul Green and Titans coach Neil Henry all spoke in favour of the restructure with Henry believing those stand-out teens capable of playing NRL will be given early exposure to the senior state competitions.

"They are the true pathway through for the younger players anyway and they can get a mixture playing with the older players," Henry said. "The stronger that we make those second tier competitions the better the comp's going to be.

"There are a bunch of players that at a young age have got the ability to step up and play [NRL] and I think that will still happen.

"You'll fast-track some of your younger players – your 18 and 19-year-olds. They'd be looking at playing Queensland Cup and NSW Cup at an early age, not staying in the 20s competition and once that's a valid pathway that will happen a bit more often."

Hell, this is exactly how it works now, nothing is changing. All they need to do is explain to kids in NYC that the next step in your journey will be State League NOT nrl, and expectations and goals are adjusted. The best under 20s are already fast tracked to State cup to develop. Kids in Cowboys system will be playing in Mackay, Townsville, or Cairns...just like they do now. The spread of clubs CANT accommodate every kid, so kids will be moving to chase a dream.

Is there any real evidence to support the welfare arguments being spun... because if its real I don't see how a re-badging exercise fixes that.. to me its just a play on the heartstrings to justify the change.

Perth Red

Post Whore
12 months ago Richardsons strategy said no expansion for 3 years, now canavans strategy it's no expansion for 6 years, look forward to what they come out with next year!

taipan

Referee
Lol so we may get a second tier team in 2022 and a NRL team even further away. The game is a joke. Rip the vision of a "NATIONAL"RL

Please ditch all the current NRL clubs ,so PR can stop whining.Remove Dragons.Sharks.West Tigers,Titans,Roosters,bring in Perth .
Put out said welcome mat to fumbleball,kick & clap, and Aye Aye League.
You know it makes sense.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh because Sydney is so soft that no club down the end of my street means I'll switch to afl. So afl can take over Sydney with just two clubs but NRL can't hold it with 6. Or 7?

And as I said I believe the long term plan should be for a 20 team comp.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yeh because Sydney is so soft that no club down the end of my street means I'll switch to afl. So afl can take over Sydney with just two clubs but NRL can't hold it with 6. Or 7?

Well, it's the same theory that the AFL puts into practice with Melbourne...

One of their on the tit basket case teams won the comp this year and it's their biggest story in years..

taipan

Referee

And as I said I believe the long term plan should be for a 20 team comp.

Name the clubs PR you want removed.Don't pussyfoot around.

You have a ghost of an idea what happened after the Bears got the flick in Sydney? The Ducks and Tahs picked up the slack, more so the Ducks.So captain that stuffed your theory.People do switch off and some move to other codes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Beyond caring in all honesty. NRL believes it has the competition make up it wants for next decade or so and that doesn't include opportunities for fans beyond the east coast. That's their call and past caring beyond my love of RL and desire to see it one day be all it can be.

Looking at Sydney clubs there is a growing gap between the haves and have nots so if you were to oook at the weakest links in terms of revenue, supporter bases , facilities etc I would say Wests, panthers, sharks, manly, dragons, roosters for one reason or another would be the clubs to look at in terms of long term growth and sustainability.

Ideally all of sydneys nine clubs would be strong enough, or the NRL rich enough, or the clubs magnimous enough to share profits that all nine could continue and the comp expand. For the next decade or so it seems that the NRL feels it can't expand due to too many weak clubs and not having the structure right to sustain them and invest in expansion as well.

Never mind in 6 years time we may have a nsw cup to follow, whoopee!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ps myth about bears fans fleeing to afl. Where's your evidence? Swans crowd boost happen in 95+ 96 when bears where still in the comp and didn't change (in fact they dropped for a few years) the year after the bears were kicked. There is no evidence in the attendance stats that swans benefitted from bears departure.

BuffaloRules

Coach
So the no expansion is just news to you now?

Did you miss the new TV deal signed a year ago which made it quite.clear to the rest of us that no expansion until 2023 at least...

Maybe you should give it a rest...it's the same tune you have played many times before...

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, been same news since we started getting excited in 2008. Difference is the timeline is being pushed further and further away. Good news is by time we get a team I'll be a pensioner and get cheaper tickets!

I've come to terms with the state of the NRL and its lack of ambition, it's others who keep the fire burning lol.

Ps this is the expansion section, suggest you keep out t if you're frustrated by people talking expansion!

davi

Juniors
So the no expansion is just news to you now?

Did you miss the new TV deal signed a year ago which made it quite.clear to the rest of us that no expansion until 2023 at least...

Maybe you should give it a rest...it's the same tune you have played many times before...

Interesting point. The TV deal terms does not completely rule out expansion in the deal, but I'll concede they do make it less likely that expansion would happen under the terms.

"The NRL has been gun shy on expansion since the Titans entered the competition in 2007 but in recent weeks there has been talk of increasing the competition to 18 teams, which would create an extra game every week and therefore more content for the TV networks.

“This deal assumes 16 teams,” Smith said at the announcement of the new deal.

“We have had discussions about whether we could introduce a 17th team and there have been good faith discussion and there is the ability within the contract to do this.

“If you do the modelling, typically what happens is that you get all the costs that suggest you move to 18. But I’m not talking about that today – this deal is about a 16-team competition, it is about eight games a weekend.”

If television was the only concern, one would think that the Brisbane Bombers would be a shoo-in to be included.

Nine boss David Gyngell has expressed his desire to have at least one match in Brisbane every week and the strong crowd numbers and television ratings in Brisbane could reportedly see the Bombers boost the deal by up to $200 million.

However, the inclusion of new franchises — which now appears to be unlikely considering the terms of the new deal — would create serious congestion.

Simply put, there’s only so many games the NRL could hold each weekend before they start doubling up or delaying coverage.

For example, if the new layout for a typical round was one game on Thursday nights, one game on Friday night, three on Saturday afternoon/evening and either three on Sunday afternoon/evening where would they put the extra game?

Doubling up and playing two games at once immediately hinders ratings and crowd numbers, but a neat way around this issue would be to introduce a Perth team.

The time difference could create the opportunity for a live 9pm game on Saturday or Sunday nights, which would kick off at 7pm in the west."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/d1b9da612469f451665ffd78485518ad