What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected crowds for the tournament

Springs

First Grade
Over 45,000. Saw English, Aussies, Welsh, NZers, French, Italian and PNG fans there today. Well done.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Over 45,000. Saw English, Aussies, Welsh, NZers, French, Italian and PNG fans there today. Well done.

Seen a few italians on the tv shots as well.

Do you reckon there were many welsh there? just curious.

Also from tv it came across that a lot of fans where wearing super league club jerseys, did that come across at teh ground? People need to leave club loyalties on their door step when it comes to internationals

undertaker

Coach
45,052 was the official attendance of the double header. Well done! Anything over 50% capacity (37k) was a success. A big chance that the semi-final double header at Wembley could break the world record crowd of 73k set during the 1992 RLWC final.

Who were all these journos in Australia saying the RLWC was a waste of time and ppl should watch the 'real' World Cup (RWC) in 2015 instead? After hearing him mock the tournament on radio and sarcastically make fun of the other teams, ppl like Ray Warren can go and get stuffed for all I care.

afinalsin666

First Grade
@cc_r Mmmmm, maybe. I'd rather rock my jersey than a boring normal t shirt, and i wouldn't shell out an extra 180 for a national jersey to wear to five games.

It looked a good crowd. Love the atmosphere of English crowds. The TV product is just multiple times better than with us Aussies.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
If the kangaroos are seen to be playing in front of an empty stadium the press here will have a field day and hammer the tournament, apart from that prospect it has been largely positive from the papers and TV with the odd exception including identities like rabs warren

This.

Yet, when the Wallabies play infront of sub-standard crowds no one says anything.

undertaker

Coach
@cc_r Mmmmm, maybe. I'd rather rock my jersey than a boring normal t shirt, and i wouldn't shell out an extra 180 for a national jersey to wear to five games.

It looked a good crowd. Love the atmosphere of English crowds. The TV product is just multiple times better than with us Aussies.

Maybe the NRL could learn something for matches at Allianz/ANZ Stadium and have the majority of fans sit on the Eastern grandstand, which is where the tv camera faces towards, for fixtures which may not yield a high attendance.

Anyways, looking forward to the semi-finals at Wembley and the final (reported already 65k sold at Old Trafford). The atmosphere for those games is going to be incredible and silence all the critics that this tournament is a waste of time. The fact that England were competitive last night will bode well with the fans, and hopefully ticket sales will improve.

100%green

Juniors
It all has to start some where and league has had a very up and down but interrupted time on the international stage. Union stared this in 87? I think. Even now there are a small group of major nations and a lot of minnows. But their RWC is more respected somehow. These events just need to keep making money. The RLIF need sponsors for every year not just World Cup years. All nations, the nrl and the ESL need to work together to grow this as and example the Tonga v Samoa game this year and beyond. We will get there but everyone from the top all the way down to the fans need to want it and work for it.

undertaker

Coach
It all has to start some where and league has had a very up and down but interrupted time on the international stage. Union stared this in 87? I think. Even now there are a small group of major nations and a lot of minnows. But their RWC is more respected somehow. These events just need to keep making money. The RLIF need sponsors for every year not just World Cup years. All nations, the nrl and the ESL need to work together to grow this as and example the Tonga v Samoa game this year and beyond. We will get there but everyone from the top all the way down to the fans need to want it and work for it.

It really annoys me here in Australia how the Rugby World Cup is often referred to as the "Real" World Cup (hence implying that the Rugby League World Cup is useless). This term is even used amongst some league fans - those who despise International RL. When I was at my parents' house in the Hunter, I was listening to the radio and how some sports reporter (who's a mad Knights fan) - during the news break - said "There's going to be a Rugby League World Cup soon. However, I look forward to the "Real" World Cup in 2015.

As you said, the League WC started in 1954 (2nd oldest World Cup of any football code behind soccer, which started theirs in 1930) and Union didn't have a World Cup until 1987.

And regarding respectibility, I acknowledge at the moment that only 3 countries - Australia, New Zealand and England - have a realistic chance of winning the RLWC and unless one of the 2nd-tier nations below the Big 3 pull off a Houdini string together a combination of a lot of luck and solid performances, it will still be at least another decade before a team outside the Big 3 at least makes the final. Until then, there's a 99% probability the final will either be Australia/NZ, NZ/England or Australia/England.

In Union, only 5 countries - Australia, New Zealand, England, South Africa and France - have a realistic chance of winning their WC (that's right, two countries more than the RLWC). Don't let the Unionites lie to you. Yeah, ok, the 2nd-tier nations - Ireland/Wales/Argentina/Scotland - are competitive and will pull off the occasional upset against the "Big 5" mentioned, but they don't have the resources and talent pool in the long-term to win a world cup, as soccer stand head and shoulders above every other sport in those countries. Surprisingly, the Big 5 are the only 5 teams that have made the final of the Rugby World Cup since its inception in 1987. Where the big difference lies is that the 2nd tier nations in Union are much better than the 2nd tier nations in League, and THAT is what perpetuates the illusion that Union WC is more 'competitive' than League, when in reality, despite having a 20 team tournament, the WC really is battled out between only 5 nations.

RFL's challenge is to try and bridge the gap between those 2nd-tier nations in league and the Big 3 over the next decade. A good starting point is scheduling more test matches for them, hence acquiring the experience. However, IRL will always be perceived by the neutrals as a joke until the eligibility laws are tightened (not just being eligible to play for a nation, but also stopping players from jumping back and forth between nations). I know they pulled off an upset in a warm-up match against England last week, but the Italian team is an absolute joke, comprising mainly of NRL players who are claiming allegiance on heritage. Watching them during the national anthem last night was embarrasing. The U.S.A Tomahawks team is even more of a joke, and no wonder the majority of Americans simply couldn't give a stuff as they can't identify with their team where local "American" players have been shafted in favour of nuffies like Clint Newton

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
Seen a few italians on the tv shots as well.

Also from tv it came across that a lot of fans where wearing super league club jerseys, did that come across at teh ground? People need to leave club loyalties on their door step when it comes to internationals

There were quite a few Welsh supporters around me.

There were lots of club jerseys, NRL and ESL.

Springs

First Grade
Great to see the passion of the English fans too. That combined with the most passionate of Aussie fans made for a great atmosphere, every bit as good as an Origin game.

roughyedspud

Coach
my voice has gone,not screamed and shouted so much in years...

one thing that surprised me was the number of "union shirt" wearing fans that where there..

deluded pom?

Coach
Great to see the passion of the English fans too. That combined with the most passionate of Aussie fans made for a great atmosphere, every bit as good as an Origin game.

You ain't seen nothing yet Springs. I thought the atmosphere was a bit muted compared to other England/GB games against Australia I've attended. Just wait until the semi final (provided we get there) or better still at OT if we can get a second shot at the Aussies. The atmosphere at those games will be ramped up tenfold. Glad you enjoyed the day though. Is it your first experience of RL in the UK?

Springs

First Grade
It was. It was much better than the tests I've been to in Australia, although the one other England-Australia match I've seen live was the 52-4 smashing in 2008.

I thought the atmosphere went down a bit after the first game but that's to be expected especially with England losing. It was great to see Wales play rugby league at the Millennium in front of 45,000.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Great work to get 45K. The promoters should be complimented.

One of the worst storms in history about to the U.K . Interesting to see how some of the pitches hold up.

Lets hope the weather misses England and Wales.

Brutus

Referee
Clint Newton actually has more of a claim to play for the USA than most of his teammates.

Last edited:

Bovrick

Juniors

Plenty around me! Alongside a good number of people sporting union tops on the trains to and from London.

Bit of a shame that we didn't make the 50k mark, but really encouraging anyway!

Good showing from the Australians too, they made damn sure they got their Mexican wave going, and the beer cup tower was mightily impressive :lol: but more seriously, a great start to the comp, and I'm looking forward to the next few days of rugby!

roughyedspud

Coach
Great work to get 45K. The promoters should be complimented.

One of the worst storms in history about to the U.K . Interesting to see how some of the pitches hold up.

Lets hope the weather misses England and Wales.

its gonna blow through in a matter of hours....might be abit windy for the NZ v samoa game later but other than that it's not going to effect any other games

Shame it sounded like the worst atmosphere ever on tv because the BBC practically muted the crowd noise for some reason.

Couldn't have left a good impression on people tuning into the sport for the first time - good job the game was a cracker

Latest posts