What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected crowds for the tournament

Hindyscrack

Bench
Springs, I'm glad you enjoyed the match however I too was disappointed with the atmosphere especially when England went 10 up. Great chat with the English fans next to us and the brews/service at the urban tap house made for a great day.

English win would have been amazing for the tournament. Hopefully they knock off the Kiwis in the semi in front of 80k

deluded pom?

Coach
Springs, I'm glad you enjoyed the match however I too was disappointed with the atmosphere especially when England went 10 up.

I think some of that could be put down to the large number of people who were new to RL and maybe don't appreciate the game and the rivalry to the same extent we do.

Springs

First Grade
Well you guys can be disappointed, I loved the whole day. English fans must be spoiled for atmosphere.

100%green

Juniors
It really annoys me here in Australia how the Rugby World Cup is often referred to as the "Real" World Cup (hence implying that the Rugby League World Cup is useless). This term is even used amongst some league fans - those who despise International RL. When I was at my parents' house in the Hunter, I was listening to the radio and how some sports reporter (who's a mad Knights fan) - during the news break - said "There's going to be a Rugby League World Cup soon. However, I look forward to the "Real" World Cup in 2015.

As you said, the League WC started in 1954 (2nd oldest World Cup of any football code behind soccer, which started theirs in 1930) and Union didn't have a World Cup until 1987.

And regarding respectibility, I acknowledge at the moment that only 3 countries - Australia, New Zealand and England - have a realistic chance of winning the RLWC and unless one of the 2nd-tier nations below the Big 3 pull off a Houdini string together a combination of a lot of luck and solid performances, it will still be at least another decade before a team outside the Big 3 at least makes the final. Until then, there's a 99% probability the final will either be Australia/NZ, NZ/England or Australia/England.

In Union, only 5 countries - Australia, New Zealand, England, South Africa and France - have a realistic chance of winning their WC (that's right, two countries more than the RLWC). Don't let the Unionites lie to you. Yeah, ok, the 2nd-tier nations - Ireland/Wales/Argentina/Scotland - are competitive and will pull off the occasional upset against the "Big 5" mentioned, but they don't have the resources and talent pool in the long-term to win a world cup, as soccer stand head and shoulders above every other sport in those countries. Surprisingly, the Big 5 are the only 5 teams that have made the final of the Rugby World Cup since its inception in 1987. Where the big difference lies is that the 2nd tier nations in Union are much better than the 2nd tier nations in League, and THAT is what perpetuates the illusion that Union WC is more 'competitive' than League, when in reality, despite having a 20 team tournament, the WC really is battled out between only 5 nations.

RFL's challenge is to try and bridge the gap between those 2nd-tier nations in league and the Big 3 over the next decade. A good starting point is scheduling more test matches for them, hence acquiring the experience. However, IRL will always be perceived by the neutrals as a joke until the eligibility laws are tightened (not just being eligible to play for a nation, but also stopping players from jumping back and forth between nations). I know they pulled off an upset in a warm-up match against England last week, but the Italian team is an absolute joke, comprising mainly of NRL players who are claiming allegiance on heritage. Watching them during the national anthem last night was embarrasing. The U.S.A Tomahawks team is even more of a joke, and no wonder the majority of Americans simply couldn't give a stuff as they can't identify with their team where local "American" players have been shafted in favour of nuffies like Clint Newton

Mate couldn't agree more.

That was my point, this comp makes money the. They need to put more into continuing games between now and 2017 as well as development. Then it can be said "your pick a nation for the WC then that's your nation for 4 years" or something like that. We need more games and proper games at that.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
The opening round of the 2000 World Cup was attended by about 56,000 across 8 games.

The opening round of the 2008 World Cup was attended by about 60,000 across 4 games.

So far we've had 4 games and we're up to 66,000. By the time the other 3 games have been finished we're probably looking at about 86,000 across 7 games.

Wow great start, hope they can maintain it!

Scubby

Juniors
You either have to count the 45k twice or you only divide the aggregate attendance by three games. It was a ticket to attend 2 games so ticket holders attended twice.

Eng v Aus 45k
Wal v Italy 45k
PNG v Fra 7.5
NZ v Sam 14.9

If the games had been on consecutive days but all tickets were valid for both games would we post the Wales v Italy crowd as 0?

Latest posts