What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected crowds for the tournament

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
False alarm. Weather looks good all week until Sunday in the UK. Will be balmy and dry in Avignon Friday.

Looks certain that Perpignan will sell out irrespective of the result in Avignon. Coverage in France has been relatively good compared to the usual apathy.

nadera78

Juniors
The worst of the weather was all down south. A couple of trees down near me, and youngster killed in Kent.

No doubts the Wembley semi-finals will see locusts, etc.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Rochdale - Sold Out
Wales vs USA- Mold and Yale stand nearly sold out
Perpignan - 700 left
Limerick - Just over 3,000 seats sold

LJC

Juniors
Rochdale - Sold Out
Wales vs USA- Mold and Yale stand nearly sold out
Perpignan - 700 left
Limerick - Just over 3,000 seats sold

The Bobby Goulding quote should be discussed and looked into at length!

It's fairly obvious that RU has been using its influence in powerful places to limit the growth and awareness of RL on a worldwide stage. The logic to this observation is based on the shear fact that most of the wealthy private school systems have a bias toward RU. This bias transcends into the business world and wealthy parts of society.

RL truly has a battle on its hands and has been achieving well considering the obstacles in front of it. I am of the opinion that the genuinely more attractive and democratic from of rugby (RL) should be the dominant game but it is obvious that the establishment and RU's friends' in high places are doing their level best to limit RL in whatever way they can. This repression is reality but it is well hidden and not openly discussed.

One day RL may gain justice!

Here's hoping.

This world cup has been captivating and greatly entertaining! A reflection of a great sport that is being underserved by appropriate media coverage on a worldwide scale if you compare to the coverage of the 2008 world cup.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Crowds in 2000 when played in Ireland were, 3,207 at Belfast, 1752 & 3,164 at Dublin.

Although Belfast is in Northern Ireland, so basically they just need to break to 3,164 mark which is probably likely.

You're right though, the game is virtually unknown over there. I remember going to Dublin talking about the game and the locals hadnt had a clue their national side was in the quarter finals, even though it was shown live into pubs.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Some Irish refer to RU and Cricket as Garrison sports. They are most popular in the gaiison cities where they were initially played by the British Army - Limerick, tipperary and around the Curragh.

roughyedspud

Coach
can we clear up the attendance for the opening game..

are we counting it as two 45k attendend games or two 22.5k games???

roughyedspud

Coach
apparently the average attendance so for is 15,274..

compared to 16,331 for the whole of the 2008 world cup...

great stuff

The Clan

Juniors
The great thing about the attendances so far is that traditionally they get better as the tournament progresses so we can expect some great attendances and atmospheres as we get closer to the business end of the World Cup. What's more exciting is the competitiveness of the games which is a huge bonus, we'd usually get some massive blowouts but every games been in the mixer until the later stages.

Shaun Johnson quote:
“The crowd were unreal, even though they were going for Samoa,” halfback Shaun Johnson said. “We were talking about it in the sheds just then – the chants they got going and just how the crowd was on top of you.”

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I have been pleasantly shocked at the competitiveness of the teams, a real eye opener and I have been trying to follow the international game for years. I knew a few of the Island teams would be good, but the others have surprised.

If this keeps up, there will be nothing the trolls can hang their hats on outside eligibility and that will hopefully get fixed up esp if the powers that be see the big picture and invest in the international game over the long run.

We need more internationals each year, I love it, gives me something to shout for seeing as my club side are afraid to play football.

blukablu

Juniors
According to the RLWC website tonight's game is a sell out. That means three in a row with two more coming up on the weekend.

Joely01

Bench
I hope this is showing the people that keep kicking the international game, that it is getting stronger.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The organisers seem to have got it spot on in regards to ticket prices and ground selection. I just can't believe it, it's so unlike rugby league to be so well organised.

coldhardbitch

Juniors
I agree. This World Cups seems brilliantly organised, with allot of thought and planning going into venue selection and promotion.

Perhaps Sally Bolton should be elected as RFL Chief Executive.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I estimate about 600 allocated seated places are left in Perpignan of the 7800 available. The rest is general admission and standing (cap: 10,460) that, at one week from the game, should go or would have already partially gone. It will be the biggest crowd at the ground in about 38 years.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
The ground selection has been great. Just the right capacity.

My only concern now about upcoming games is the Limerick game. I think the capacity is around 25k, with around 3-4000 sold so they better get cracking on that one.