What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected crowds for the tournament

roughyedspud

Coach
exactly...you don't count it as 90,000 cos there was'nt 90,000 fans there...simple...

looks like a massive walk up crowd at st helens too

exactly...you don't count it as 90,000 cos there was'nt 90,000 fans there...simple...

looks like a massive walk up crowd at st helens too

England - Australia was attended by 45k. To suggest Wales - Italy was attended by no people, which is what you're doing, is stupid.

Use a bit of logic. How many people were in attendance for the first game. How many people were in attendance for the second game?

What you're suggesting only makes sense if we count attendance by tickets sold, and rugby league as a sport doesn't do that. We tally attendances based on the number of people who are actually present.

I'll ask again - were there zero people present for the Wales - Italy game?

joshie

Live Update Team
Just put the same figure for both games holy crap! Stop arguing about a nothing issue haha

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Brilliant crowds thus far but unfortunately this type of stuff wouldn't be replicated in any other country,English sport fans are way better then Aussie sports fans

The actual figures are fair comparable to 2008 aren't they? It's just that they look better in smaller grounds.

And I hate to get all per capita on everybody's arse, but with a smaller population, wouldn't that make the 2008 RLWC better for crowds? ;-) ;-)

I am only very very mildly trolling/joking here. I have loved every second of the tournament so far, and I have been very pleasantly surprised/impressed by the turn out, especially after subjecting myself to months of lurking on RLFANS where they are even more pessimistic than we are here.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The actual figures are fair comparable to 2008 aren't they? It's just that they look better in smaller grounds.

And I hate to get all per capita on everybody's arse, but with a smaller population, wouldn't that make the 2008 RLWC better for crowds? ;-) ;-)

I am only very very mildly trolling/joking here. I have loved every second of the tournament so far, and I have been very pleasantly surprised/impressed by the turn out, especially after subjecting myself to months of lurking on RLFANS where they are even more pessimistic than we are here.

While the per capita argument has merit, it shouldnt take away from the fact that over 7k people turned up bristol to watch Cook islands v USA, relying only on local/community marketing. Consider the same fixture in any league wildnerness, i doubt it would get half that.

From my predictions for the remaining games it should finish with an aggregate of 450k which is fantastic.

Flapper

First Grade
The argument for the double header crowd figure is moronic in the extreme considering how simple the answer is. The ticket covers both game, hence if you enter the stadium you count as 1 towards both crowds. If they leave that's no ones fault but their own. So basically yes the 45k is for both games, not halved.

undertaker

Coach
Excellent crowd at Huddersfield. The Poms haven't got those sort of crowds for home tests vs countries other than Australia and NZ since 1995 when they got 26k vs Fiji at Central Park. The fact they could draw nearly 25k against a team that will most likely go winless in the group shows how far the international game has come since the ill-fated 2000WC. It also does help when you get a beautiful sunny day in November, something that is a rarity in Northern England.

Hopefully another 25k crowd turns out at Hull next week vs Fiji. Although, I must saw I am worried about the crowd in Limerick and hope it can nudge closer towards 10k.

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
What will be deemed a success at Limerick? Will it be if it simply get's a crowd similar to Bristol? Or is it, because the venue is larger, then the expectations are larger?

As it stands, 3,206 of the 6,925 available seats have now been sold. That's just over 46% of the capacity in that area.

The terraces that exist on that side can hold just over 2,000 and they are now sitting at around a third sold. That means we are possibly looking at close to 4K already with a week to go.

With Australia set to arrive in Ireland on Monday, hopefully this will draw some much welcomed media attention.

Saint Doc

Coach
It seems limerick has been the one bad move by organisers.

Cork seems like it would have been a better fit (Munster's other ground) - the rugby ground holds 9500 with 3500 seated. Only 1.5 hours from limerick.
320px-Donncha_O%27Callaghan_Munster.jpg

undertaker

Coach
What will be deemed a success at Limerick? Will it be if it simply get's a crowd similar to Bristol? Or is it, because the venue is larger, then the expectations are larger?

As it stands, 3,206 of the 6,925 available seats have now been sold. That's just over 46% of the capacity in that area.

The terraces that exist on that side can hold just over 2,000 and they are now sitting at around a third sold. That means we are possibly looking at close to 4K already with a week to go.

With Australia set to arrive in Ireland on Monday, hopefully this will draw some much welcomed media attention.

Organisers are going to have to promote the crap out of this game if we are to get a respectable crowd. Unfortunately, it'll be hard to promote given that theres 99pct chance Ireland won't make it to the Quarter Finals

Last edited:

DIOGENES

Juniors
Just looked at the Limerick papers - lots of stories on union and Gaelic football but as far as I can tell no stories on RLWC during the last month.

Latest posts