What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected crowds for the tournament

Brutus

Referee
5,021 in Limerick. Small yes but a record rugby league crowd in Ireland where the sport is hardly played at all, and on a night where Ireland RU played in Dublin.

Official sellout at Halifax tomorrow.

At Thrum Hall? :)

roughyedspud

Coach
overview.ashx

what would the grey areas be??

sponsors tickets?

WireMan

Bench
overview.ashx

what would the grey areas be??

sponsors tickets?

Corporate seats. The ones in the South are the directors boxes, the rest are just posh seats. Without checking you probably have to buy them through the club as you get a meal with it etc.

Cracking crowds so far. Should get some good ones for the quarters while the semis and the final will take care of themselves.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They are saying the tournament will make around 5million pounds which will be a massive boost for the RLIF and hopefully see that moey going to grow international competitions.

Australian players are being paid $40k, USA players zero. That is some disparity!

Springs

First Grade
10,666 in Halifax.

12,233 average for the group stage. 9,000 needed tomorrow for a 12,000 average.

undertaker

Coach
5,021 in Limerick. Small yes but a record rugby league crowd in Ireland where the sport is hardly played at all, and on a night where Ireland RU played in Dublin.

Although the venue allocations for this tournament have been much better than they were in the 2000WC, organisers at the end of the day will concede it was a mistake taking the Australia/Ireland game to Limerick, let alone anywhere in Ireland. Had the game been played in London somewhere at a venue like Loftus Road, it would've easily got 10-15k with all the Aussie and Irish expats there.

In fact, it was a shame that only the semi-final double header is played in London and no other matches are. I know organisers wanted to take the safe option with more matches in rugby league heartland (i.e. Northern England), but games involving Australia and NZ would've still got good crowds in the south.

25,114 at the KC stadium today for Egland/Fiji.

Excellent crowd. As I said in a previous post, first time since the '95 World Cup that England/Great Britain have got those sort of crowds for home tests vs countries other than Australia and New Zealand.

haha. gotta love not reading it correctly. 70k would be amazing for Wembley as last I heard they had sold 55K..

If the weather remains good and England put in a strong form in their Quarter-Final game (against France or Samoa), there's a big chance we could give the world record 73k crowd - obtained in the '92 World Cup Final - a shake, depending on how many of the corporates turn up (given that 15k of the 90k seats aren't sold to the public as they're for corporates). The fact that the lower bowl of Wembley is pretty much sold out with a fortnight or so to go bodes well. A minimum of 60-65k will be seen as a huge success by the RFL and it will look and sound good on tv.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
they did'nt bid for games....and limerick council did...so they paid for it and it was a record crowd for a game in ireland.....

so no...i doubt they'll concede anything lol

Saint Doc

Coach
I don't know how they could say that. There must gave been a good few hundred seats empty in the stand opposite the cameras.

According to people on total RL forum, capacity of some of the stands has been reduced due to OH&S issues.

Official capacity 10,500.

elbusto

Coach
they did'nt bid for games....and limerick council did...so they paid for it and it was a record crowd for a game in ireland.....

Fair point mate. Mind you bidding for a game is one thing. Winning the bid and promoting it is obviously another. The crowd looked terrible and I could not find any media about it at all. I am not blaming the RLWC organisers for that but the Limerick Council.

deluded pom?

Coach
If the weather remains good and England put in a strong form in their Quarter-Final game (against France or Samoa), there's a big chance we could give the world record 73k crowd - obtained in the '92 World Cup Final - a shake, depending on how many of the corporates turn up (given that 15k of the 90k seats aren't sold to the public as they're for corporates). The fact that the lower bowl of Wembley is pretty much sold out with a fortnight or so to go bodes well. A minimum of 60-65k will be seen as a huge success by the RFL and it will look and sound good on tv.

I thought the WC semis weren't included in the corporate package so the tickets for those areas went on general sale? We should actually see the majority of those seats with someone sat in them for a change.

undertaker

Coach
I thought the WC semis weren't included in the corporate package so the tickets for those areas went on general sale? We should actually see the majority of those seats with someone sat in them for a change.

really? That'd be great if they were for sale. I know for the Challenge Cup Final they aren't for sale (they also weren't for the 4 nations double header at Wembley in 2011)

Hindyscrack

Bench

Considering Limerick bid for a match the promotion done by the locals was pretty darn ordinary.

Speaking to people in town, the majority of them were only aware of the game in the days leading up to the match. My cabbie who actually had a very decent knowledge of league said there was nought local promotion.

Lost opportunity in Ireland.

Latest posts