What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected crowds for the tournament

Saint Doc

Coach
@RLWC2013: 68' 22,276 people have made the trip to the DW tonight for this Quarter Final. Fantastic effort by all #EngFra

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Wouldve been a bigger crowd if the match was played in England.

Still not the worst crowd of the tournament, it was probably almost as big as the Wales/Aus game in 2011.

Also good turnout for the England/France game. Probably the biggest crowd for a Eng/France game in years.

wain

Juniors
Am I right in saying that 2 of the 3 smallest crowds were for Australia matches? Didn't see that coming.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
But they did play in front of the biggest so far.

Two of the matches you're talking about were played in countries where Rugby League is virtually unknown.

deluded pom?

Coach
But they did play in front of the biggest so far.

Two of the matches you're talking about were played in countries where Rugby League is virtually unknown.

I'll give you Ireland but RL is well known in Wales. Don't forget the Welsh RU team were playing yesterday too.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Am I right in saying that 2 of the 3 smallest crowds were for Australia matches? Didn't see that coming.

I wouldn't want to pay money to watch 17 guys in green and gold jerk off over how amazing they are.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Exactly, it's much more fun to watch that when the players are in Black :sarcasm:

I don't watch rugby on principle, but the All Blacks dominance doesn't make it particularly appealing. At least there's some competitiveness in the middle.

Bovrick

Juniors
I don't watch rugby on principle, but the All Blacks dominance doesn't make it particularly appealing. At least there's some competitiveness in the middle.

I don't watch it unless I'm struggling to fall asleep :D

Yeah, their talent levels are... smoother? There's less between each team along the rankings in general. We just have a massive gap after Number 3, beyond that it's pretty competitive when teams have all their players available too.

Springs

First Grade
The nature of the game makes the level more even in Union. The fact that you can get 10 fat guys in a maul and barge over the line makes it like that.
With league and the one on one tackling and fitness levels is where the difference is at. Honestly, Hayne and Inglis would probably make centres from Ireland, Scotland, France RU teams look amateur as well.

It used to be 60 points between 3 and 4, now it's 22. We're getting there.

hutch

First Grade
The nature of the game makes the level more even in Union. The fact that you can get 10 fat guys in a maul and barge over the line makes it like that.
With league and the one on one tackling and fitness levels is where the difference is at. Honestly, Hayne and Inglis would probably make centres from Ireland, Scotland, France RU teams look amateur as well.

It used to be 60 points between 3 and 4, now it's 22. We're getting there.

Well said. What people forget is that if rugby league didn't exist then all of Australia, nz's and England's league talent would be playing union. This would mean they have a big 3 who would of dominated the sport in different periods throughout history.

Anyway, the standards of teams outside the big 3 have grown quite well over the last 5 years. We now need to continue to develop them domestically and give them regular competition in meaningful tournaments every single year.

Saint Doc

Coach
@RLWC2013: Attendance is 12,766 at the Halliwell Jones Stadium for this massive quarter final #RLWC2013 #SamFij

undertaker

Coach
Funny how the England/Ireland and England/Fiji pool games drew larger crowds that the England/France QF. Nevertheless, 22k for a Quarter-Final vs France on a Saturday night is still an outstanding result.

Will look forward to seeing whether or not the Daily Telegraph continue to bash the tournament when large crowds turn out for next weeks double-header and the final at Old Trafford.

A shame though that the England/NZ match isn't the 2nd (3:30pm) match. I fear that the Australia/Fiji game will look pretty empty if England lose. Nevertheless, although I'm hoping we hit 70k+, 60k will still look and sound very good on tv.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
whatever way we look at it its gonna be the largest attandance for a RL international since the 1995 world cup final.....which was 66,540

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
From RLFANS, Saturday's crowd was the biggest Eng (GB) v France crowd in England since the 1960 world cup, which at 23k is a little surprising.

http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=551905&tsmp=1384773025&start=2130#p17637761

overview.ashx

As for Wembley, for what it is worth and going on the ticketing website, only single seats are available in Cat3 and Cat4. Plenty left in Cat5 however. I'd imagine they've opened up a few more bays since this image was produced.

LJC

Juniors
From RLFANS, Saturday's crowd was the biggest Eng (GB) v France crowd in England since the 1960 world cup, which at 23k is a little surprising.

http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=551905&tsmp=1384773025&start=2130#p17637761

overview.ashx

As for Wembley, for what it is worth and going on the ticketing website, only single seats are available in Cat3 and Cat4. Plenty left in Cat5 however. I'd imagine they've opened up a few more bays since this image was produced.

Checked the website. Looks like they haven't updated it.

Latest posts