What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F%ck you Robson

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Jeez $150k to play NSW Cup? Time for me to start getting in shape and playing footy if that's the amount of money someone can get playing 2nd tier

That's on the basis he is being groomed as a 14/9 for 2012 onwards and as he physically/mentally matures becomes a quality backup 7/6.

SDM

First Grade
Yeah, if my boss came and told me I could;

a) stay on the same pay, or

b) sign a new contract to get paid 3/5 of that amount

I also would take option b due to embarrassment.

Moron.

84 Baby

Referee
That's on the basis he is being groomed as a 14/9 for 2012 onwards and as he physically/mentally matures becomes a quality backup 7/6.
Which means he is back where he started when playing Toyota Cup. Even accounting for inflation, was he earning $150k in Toyota Cup? He isn't worth $150k in ability, past performance or potential performance. We paid an inflated market rate at the time, then the Daniel Mortimer stock market crashed. Time to crystallise the losses. Any raise in his value you in the future can go to whoever wants to take on the risk

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Jeez $150k to play NSW Cup? Time for me to start getting in shape and playing footy if that's the amount of money someone can get playing 2nd tier

I think it's a fair amount for first-choice backup halfback in a club's top 25.

This is for a guy you expect to play 5 or 6 games throughout the season.

Thing is, Morts hasn't played any games since being dropped this year, even though we've had injuries. So he's not even first choice backup at the club.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
I kind of feel sorry for Mortimer, would of been interesting seeing how he goes playing with a first grade halfback

84 Baby

Referee
I think it's a fair amount for first-choice backup halfback in a club's top 25.

This is for a guy you expect to play 5 or 6 games throughout the season.

Thing is, Morts hasn't played any games since being dropped this year, even though we've had injuries. So he's not even first choice backup at the club.
Exactly if he were 2nd string behind Robson or McGuire then a dependable back up may be worth $150k because he's there in case of unavailability but also he could force his way past the incumbent if he performs better. But at the moment he's behind both Robson & McGuire, not just one of them. And then next year, he'll be behind Sandow, who, given ability, performance and salary, would be difficult to push past for Mortimer. McGuire may leave to give Morts more of an opportunity but he'll only get that through Sandow's unavailability and Kearney would be banking on Sandow being available every round. That means Mortimer's value drops even further next year.

Also, I believe if Sandow is ever unavailable for short periods (1-2 games), first choice alternative would be Hayne and Roberts in halves before Mortimer gets look in.

I don't fully blame Morts for his situation. A lot of blame should be levelled at his manager and our management for giving him such a large contract when his development didn't warrant it. Non-performance and change in coach meant due to salary cap juggling and goal setting that the liability of Mortimer's contract far outweighs his the value of his performance.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Also, I believe if Sandow is ever unavailable for short periods (1-2 games), first choice alternative would be Hayne and Roberts in halves before Mortimer gets look in.

Yeah I reckon, with someone coming into fullback.

With the lack of halves depth for next year I'm sure Hayne will stay a halves option. And in the event of multiple unavailable halves (touch wood) I'd say we'll go with one half who can kick (Keating even) and play another edge forward at 6.

I don't fully blame Morts for his situation. A lot of blame should be levelled at his manager and our management for giving him such a large contract when his development didn't warrant it.

The issue was his name, which forced the Dogs into a bidding war for what was really only a PR victory.

Suitman

Post Whore
I kind of feel sorry for Mortimer, would of been interesting seeing how he goes playing with a first grade halfback

A good half would have shown him up to be more of a fake.
He's lucky he only played with crap halves. It made him look better in comparison than he actually is.

Suity

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Mortimer is f**king hopeless you clowns.

He is hopeless in the halves and hopeless everywhere. Forget all this 9/14 rubbish. He is f**ked whatever number you put on his back.

Hipefully we are lucky enough to f**k him off somewhere f**king else real f**king soon.

bartman

Immortal
I think Morts will go to Penrith. An offer from Penrith for a bit less money is better than staying on the same pay and playing for Wenty and not getting his mug in the paper constantly....

Good luck to him, but I don't think we'll regret it anymore than we've regretted not re-signing K Keating, A Kelly, T Smith, C Lawler... etc etc.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mortimer is f**king hopeless you clowns.

He is hopeless in the halves and hopeless everywhere. Forget all this 9/14 rubbish. He is f**ked whatever number you put on his back.

Hipefully we are lucky enough to f**k him off somewhere f**king else real f**king soon.

I defended Morts for a long time but I've since had to face the fact I was f**king wrong. He is f**king shit.

Good luck to him, but I don't think we'll regret it anymore than we've regretted not re-signing K Keating, A Kelly, T Smith, C Lawler... etc etc.

Don't forget future Queensland Origin halfback Michael Witt.

jason taylor

Bench
Funny about that. Witt is off contract as of late since the Crusaders have gone to the wall. We might see his NRL return.

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
I think Morts will go to Penrith. An offer from Penrith for a bit less money is better than staying on the same pay and playing for Wenty and not getting his mug in the paper constantly....

I thought at the time Chris Lawler played some good footy for us.

SDM

First Grade
You are ok in my books Robbo, earned your dosh, good luck at the Sharkies.

Kornstar

Coach
I defended Morts for a long time but I've since had to face the fact I was f**king wrong. He is f**king shit.

Don't forget future Queensland Origin halfback Michael Witt.

What did Witt do wrong though? He was good for us in 04 in an ordinary team, was replaced by the eventual rookie of the year in 2005 and helped Manly get the finals in the same year!

At Warriors he made the finals with them too???

I always got the impression it was an attitude problem more than a skill problem.

I don't want him back but I don't think he deserves to be bagged because the media may have said he would play SOO one day.

Delboy

First Grade
No drama with Michael Witt, his 100% compared against Robsons 100%, is chalk and cheese, although a little big headed at least he could play

The title of this thread is exactly what I said when he was dumb and stupid enough to give away the penalty that gave the Panffers field position, still can't understand why he is in first grade this week or any week, Morts to the rescue ( oh well)

SDM

First Grade
We have all done dumb shit in the heat of the moment when the pressure is on. It was a c**k-up, for sure, and I reckon he would be dirty enough on himself.

The same people who bag Robbo probably clap pea heart Mateo when he misses a tackle and cry that he is no longer with us.

Delboy

First Grade
SDM , if that was directed at me, sorry but you have misdirected as usual

Mateo was good to get from up 6 to to a bigger lead, but not worth the cash thrown at him. For the record, I have never believed Robbo was NRL standard, check with Springs and Lingard on that one.