What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F.O Andrew Webster

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Thinking today, the two big stories of our season :

1- bad luck with injuries
2- Webster just not being as good as we thought he was.

and tbh, that isn’t his fault. We got carried away.

He still is a good coach and we are fortunate to have him, especially given our record with coaches.
100% agree with this.

In terms of the game plan, I can't necessarily fault him for that. It worked last year, but other teams wised up to it. Maybe he was too slow to adapt? In hindsight (and I will 100% admit I got this wrong, too) playing SJ with injury was an issue. We probably lost a couple of games we could have won with SJ on one leg - it is crazy to listen to his Play On podcast and hear he couldn't walk down the stairs properly with this Achilles, and as we know didn't train. That's not a guy you should be picking, really.

I think AFB affected the side at times, more than we'll probably ever appreciate. I think some of us saw that coming, and maybe he's been OK at times, but I've got to believe he's been divisive at times - obviously the main part when he refused to join the team in the song.

100% he is still a good coach, it's a boring old message but the greats - Bennett, Gibson, Cleary, to a lesser extend Bellamy - took a long time to win their first. I'm not saying Webster is them, but I'm sure given the quality of Webby, he'll tell you this has been a massive learning experience in his second year that will bode well going forward.

And yeah, the injuries have been shocking, really. I don't follow 17 clubs' medical list but I imagine ours would be the worst, in terms of games missed/status of those guys who have missed.

Thinking today, the two big stories of our season :

1- bad luck with injuries
2- Webster just not being as good as we thought he was.

and tbh, that isn’t his fault. We got carried away.

He still is a good coach and we are fortunate to have him, especially given our record with coaches.
Injuries and never having our strongest squad for the majority of season is definitely the reason why we are 14th. Webster is good but got tested with trusting his experience but broken players over the up-and-coming talented rookies. It's a lesson he will take onboard because he now realises the SJ experiment went south.

Meth

Staff member
Injuries and never having our strongest squad for the majority of season is definitely the reason why we are 14th.

It's a reason. Not the reason.

We have often had the team to win and haven't. The Dragons, the Titans (twice), the Knights- we just turned up looking like shit. We did that against strong teams too (Roosters spring to mind), but that's more forgivable.

Injuries have been significant. Preparation seems to be more so and that's on Webster IMO

Rich102

Staff member
I find one of the most baffling things is allowing Katoa and Curran to leave.
Maybe they were offered more (Katoa) or had a clash with the coach (Curran).
Either way we lost two really good players and good coaches don't lose players they want to/need to keep.
Curran is being used far better at the dogs than he was here.
No doubt there was a reason to let them go, but it hasn't really been explained.

Matua

Bench
I think the injuries are papering over Webster's performance. It's his get out of jail free card, when I think we would have been in the crap anyway (and arguably most of our best performances have come from injury enforced selections).

He's not the messiah the Warriors, the media, and certain fans made him out to be.

But, I'm not saying he's shit and we should dump him, but, I hope he's working on alternate styles now that his little-ish men gameplan has been worked out.

sup42

Juniors
I find one of the most baffling things is allowing Katoa and Curran to leave.
Maybe they were offered more (Katoa) or had a clash with the coach (Curran).
Either way we lost two really good players and good coaches don't lose players they want to/need to keep.
Curran is being used far better at the dogs than he was here.
No doubt there was a reason to let them go, but it hasn't really been explained.
In the case of Katoa he was wanted. He was offered a contract but turned us down for the Storm.

Curran was let go to make way room for the like of Leka Halasima, Dimitric Sifkula, and Jacob Laban in that order.

It would have been nice to keep Curran over a few others but we have to let go some forwards in the coming year or three with all the decent forwards we are brewing in the NSW cup.

Hopefully Capewell comes right for us, he has been doing some good things since recovering.

Dimitric Sifakula is really highly rated, so you can see how we have a big load of back row talent when you add Laban in the discussion, there are lots of guys and not enough spots.

Obviously Curran costs more than our three Juniors that are being groomed for the back row.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
That makes sense. Who would have thought we would be having cap- worries with our squad.

Latest posts