What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F1 2019

Dodgy

Juniors
Best qualifier in history is a bit of a stretch.

Monaco was as a good as it can be for a spectacle. Even though it was false due to Verstappen being in a position he shouldn't have been.

Pommy

Coach
F1 is dead :eek:

I used to love it as a kid back with Mansell, Senna, Hill, Schumachers early days.
It has become so sterile in the last 20 years. I would love to get back in to it but it just seems to be a 2 hour procession after qualifying most of the time.

Best qualifier in history is a bit of a stretch.

Monaco was as a good as it can be for a spectacle. Even though it was false due to Verstappen being in a position he shouldn't have been.

Is it? He’s about 20 poles ahead of Schumacher and Senna with a good few years in him.

Storm13

Juniors
I used to love it as a kid back with Mansell, Senna, Hill, Schumachers early days.
It has become so sterile in the last 20 years. I would love to get back in to it but it just seems to be a 2 hour procession after qualifying most of the time.

I never grew up during those years to witness some of the all time greats.

I started following F1 in 2000, BWM just joined up with Williams with a young Jenson Button and also my favourite team Jaguar took over from Stewart (Toyota, Honda and Renault would join that group in the coming years). Schumacher claimed his first Ferrari title. Mid field teams felt capable of the podium.

Dodgy

Juniors
Is it? He’s about 20 poles ahead of Schumacher and Senna with a good few years in him.
Yep. Total stats are nice, but they have to be put in context. And you have with the following quote in the same post.

It has become so sterile in the last 20 years.
And all of Hamilton's career has been within it. Cashing in with a dominant car for a long time. His status is embellished.

Parra

Referee
I never grew up during those years to witness some of the all time greats.

I started following F1 in 2000, BWM just joined up with Williams with a young Jenson Button and also my favourite team Jaguar took over from Stewart (Toyota, Honda and Renault would join that group in the coming years). Schumacher claimed his first Ferrari title. Mid field teams felt capable of the podium.

It is a great era you have described witnessing as well.

Storm13

Juniors
It is a great era you have described witnessing as well.
The cars seemed much harder to drive also back then than they are now. When they gave the middle finger to Cosworth, who wanted to take part in the hybrid error but didn't have the resources, I think that's where F1 died just that little bit more.

Pommy

Coach
Yep. Total stats are nice, but they have to be put in context. And you have with the following quote in the same post.

And all of Hamilton's career has been within it. Cashing in with a dominant car for a long time. His status is embellished.

It’s not like Schumacher won all those titles and races without Ferrari being dominant.

some11

Referee
Put $50 on Leclerc to out-qualify Bottas at $3.

Ferrari has so much speed in sector three, I think Hamilton got a tow on his last qualifying lap which bumped him up to second. Might have been a Ferrari 1-2 if that didn't happen.

Canada is probably my favourite track, turn 13-14 into the wall of champions is great.

Last edited:

Storm13

Juniors
Put $50 on Leclerc to out-qualify Bottas at $3.

Ferrari has so much speed in sector three, I think Hamilton got a tow on his last qualifying lap which bumped him up to second. Might have been a Ferrari 1-2 if that didn't happen.

Canada is probably my favourite track, turn 13-14 into the wall of champions is great.
I can't help feel Ferrari will screw up and gift Hamilton the win or at least screw Leclerc. Be good to see Ricciardo jump one or two cars at the start.

Life's Good

Coach
I can't help feel Ferrari will screw up and gift Hamilton the win or at least screw Leclerc. Be good to see Ricciardo jump one or two cars at the start.

That’s the first thing that came to my mind. The anxiety levels to not f*ck things up will be very high. The gap between Vettel & Leclerc isn’t something I was expecting & has been glossed over by the media(not surprising given it goes against the ‘Vettel is done’ narrative).
For me this is a massive race for Bottas. He needs to find a way to finish in front of Hamilton to swing momentum back his way. It won’t be curtains for him if he doesn’t but he needs to send a message that he’s up for the fight.

Life's Good

Coach

That’s the first thing that came to my mind. The anxiety levels to not f*ck things up will be very high. The gap between Vettel & Leclerc isn’t something I was expecting & has been glossed over by the media(not surprising given it goes against the ‘Vettel is done’ narrative).
For me this is a massive race for Bottas. He needs to find a way to finish in front of Hamilton to swing momentum back his way. It won’t be curtains for him if he doesn’t but he needs to send a message that he’s up for the fight.

Storm13

Juniors
Well I think they were talking about Leclerc looking to have the wood over Vettel so far this weekend. Just like in Baku when the Ferrari is fast it Leclerc leading the way. Also Bottas has already lost this championship for mine as soon as Hamilton got ahead in the win column.

Life's Good

Coach
Well I think they were talking about Leclerc looking to have the wood over Vettel so far this weekend. Just like in Baku when the Ferrari is fast it Leclerc leading the way. Also Bottas has already lost this championship for mine as soon as Hamilton got ahead in the win column.
That’s probably right but I live in hope.
We’re about to find out.

Storm13

Juniors
That’s probably right but I live in hope.
We’re about to find out.
What a race. Nothing that spectacular but the Vettel 5 sec penalty was the main talking point. Renault 6-7th and almost finishes on the lead lap was an encouraging result before Renault introduce their b-spec car for France. Fastest lap point is still a farce. Would of been better if there was no Hard compound tyre.

Life's Good

Coach
What a race. Nothing that spectacular but the Vettel 5 sec penalty was the main talking point. Renault 6-7th and almost finishes on the lead lap was an encouraging result before Renault introduce their b-spec car for France. Fastest lap point is still a farce. Would of been better if there was no Hard compound tyre.

The pace Ferrari showed in qualifying wasn’t there in the race or Merc(specifically Hamilton)put in a storming drive to stay within reach of Vettel to snatch the win after the penalty. Good theatrics by Vettel after the race but rules are rules even though it was a bad look to the end of the race. Could they have let it go? Possibly, but the headline would have been how Ferrari were given a leg up.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
A lesser driver would've hit the wall and probably taken them both out.

No idea what the stewards expected Vettel to do there. Only other option was a wreck. It was a great piece of instinctive driving following the initial mistake.

Easy to accept the penalty that was applied as it is a deterrent for blatant blocking that may happen elsewhere. Another one of those rules that apply to the front runners but are totally ignored for those battling mid pack and at the rear.

The post race theatrics were hilarious. Good on Seb for making his point and still having a sporting attitude.

Latest posts