What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans get their game back

beave

Coach
i think that is expansion is carried out, Perth and Gosford are the areas that should get the new teams.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Actually, just on the survivability of clubs, there is one thing the independent commission and the sale of the rights does in this regard...

Once you sell the rights to 8 games a week you are then contractually obligated to guarantee that there are always at least 16 clubs!

That means that the only way that the ARLC can allow the sharks or storm to die is if there is another expansion club ready to step into the fold immediately.

Not really. The NRL could assume control over the club. THey would then be responsible for all player costs, and venue costs from then on in. Sort of like an adminstrator. In the meantime they could be talking to interested parties who would like to replace that club next season.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Cant see that happening anytime soon with their development plans

Given how long before that starts turning money for them, and that they currently don't have a major sponsor, and more interest rate rises are forecast, this next season they would want to go well on the field, otherwise it could very well be their last. I can't see any independent commission wanting to save them (Not that I believe it will come into existence that fast).

Vossy

Bench
If Cronulla disapear between now and then, I wonder if it will be 3 clubs introduced by 2013

:fist: we are NOT going anywhere...

we have come along in leaps and bounds since the new board and ceo took over

Dogs Of War

Coach
:fist: we are NOT going anywhere...

we have come along in leaps and bounds since the new board and ceo took over

Whats changed? I would love a Cronulla fans to explain how they are any better placed than they were last year, if anything you are further behind the 8 ball this year, finished last, so memberships will be hard to obtain from an already small membership base, no major sponsor, over reliance on crowds to make ends meet compared to other clubs. Already spending the least of all clubs on and off the field, so further cost cutting just can't be done.

How are you better?

Shire Panther

Juniors
Great news about the commision now lets hope it all evantuates.

As other posters have pointed out i see 2 problems with the article the 1st being Colin bloody Love How much money has he bled from the game???? didnt he pay himself a fortune from the last world cup???? Get the leach out of the game ASAP!!!!

the 2nd being expansion i think Perth should be the 1st team brought in and then another QLD team.

fred92

Juniors
Ye thats the worrying part. I wanna know how much influence will the board have and how much power will the commission have.
Each club will own its own team, the Commission will manage the game for the clubs collectively,unlike before when News Ltd marched in,turning clubs against each other,taking over the game selling to themselves and profits going to News Corp. in the U.S.A. Perhaps you would prefer saying no to the new commission letting News to continue running the N.R.L. The only reason News gave the game back to the clubs, was Kevin Rudd telling them to get out of the game by November or face the consequences.

Titanic

First Grade
The issue is hardly whether the ARLC is the right step ... of course it is and it's exciting and wonderful and grand and everything

But we all have to face :

(1) what needs to be a dictatorial body of "above suspicion" identities and none of the mentioned boys are those with perhaps the exception of Gallop.

I for one cannot condone Love (claim to fame the World 7's which was his private enterprise, a weak wrist for management and with question marks over whether he could make a quid if not from RL), Ribot (what more need I say), Livermore (who represents all things that make RL a dinosaur) for starters.

(2) that they will make unpopular decisions and everybody can suck it up.

I totally agree with this and that's why I am against the personalities mentioned above - get a new broom in there. Maybe Gallop can change his spots but is that what is required? (the risk is what I mean).

Shorty

Staff member
It sounds promising, I'm not getting my hopes completely up but it's a change.
I'd like Gallop gone, we need a new CEO, seriously his used by date is up and it's time for someone new.
3-5 years?? That's my only concern, overall I'm excited.

Scarves

Juniors
Regardless of whether this new body is better for the game or not ( I do think it is better than the splintered jigsaw we currently have), whatever happens in regard to expansion, let's all be honest here, if Rugby League loses an expansion club like Melbourne Storm from the NRL, that would be a complete disaster for our code in its war against the AFL.

Losing a Sydney club may well be a sad day but not a disaster that will reverberate long and hard like losing the Storm or the Knights or a Qld club. Yeah, we had excuses when we lost the Reds and other expansion clubs, Super League at the time stabbed the game like Caesar in the Senate.

But today, we as a Rugby League community must keep the Storm alive and solid at all costs - these costs are an investment in our game, without the Storm, the National Rugby League competition would become a laughing stock to the AFL. Currently the AFL respects us, it is why they are smashing us with cash dumps all over league heartlands, salicious wooing of state Premiers, and engaging their media propaganda juggernaught. If the 16 current NRL clubs can't see the big picture on this matter, then their selfishness will be the death of the code as a tier one sport, and these 16 clubs then become the wrong people/groups to represent the game as its custodians.

Loudstrat

Coach
This is the single best day in RL History since Dally Messenger first pulled on a Kiwi jersey.

News LTD will leave our game! I'm f*cking dancing in the streets!

The game is back in charge of it self - not bent over with pants down waiting to be buggered by the next bean counter from New York who wouldn't know a Cumberland Throw from a Liverpool Kiss. No more crap like double tries, or talking DOWN TV rights, etc.

Now Gallop, a talented yet hamstrung administrator, can serve the game, not some MBA from Harvard who thinks Beetson is what Aussies put on hamburgers. And with Love, similarly hamstrung by lack of finances and real power, we have a chance at blending the old League hard head admin with the legal business savvy admin that we had with Arko and Quayle - but this time without the club bias.

As for Ribot - Waldrons job is to find a number of suckers to take on a big loss making venture. I imagine the phrase "mentally inept" in the Macquarie Dictionary is accompanied by his pic.

Going alone without the NSWRL or QRL removes the raft of basel;ess excuses for paranoia from up north (by removing the NSWRL), and removes the vast mental void that has held the game back from leaping into the 21st century (by removing the QRL).

The clubs controllingthe game - clever. Spread the power over a virtual parliament so that no one club can wield supreme influence (eg Brisbane demanding an exclusivity clause), and the Sydney clubs, being the majority, can fight back against the paranoia that floods in from AFL/Union/QLD, and start promoting what this city and it's clubs bring to the code.

2 clubs in 2013? Brisbane II gets enough time to get off it's arse and get organised. CC Bears will be early faves, and rightly so, but the might of a well coordinated SEQ bid will consign it to fight out with Perth IMHO. It should win unless Perth does something startling to warrant a top flight club (not a dig Perth Red, just waiting for some real movement from over there - and you suddenly have an extra year to do it.)

This is a great day. Anyone against it is against RL. Halleluyah!!!!!!!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh the more I consider it the more it looks like a massive step forward for the game. There are still alot of concerns for me but in this case its not better the devil you know!

re expansion, I don't think, and hope, Perth would need as much as Melbourne have had (I still struggle to see why Melbourne actually need this much $'s to keep them going). Apart from a leagues club, in theory our paying fan base should be as big as, say the Bears will have in Gosford, we should be able to attract significant sponsorship, we have a decent stadium and hopefully will get a good deal from playing there. We might have a short fall of $1-2million due to no leagues club and higher costs to bring jnr plaers etc over whilst we start producing our own, but as long as we don't get saddled with travel costs again I would hope we will be close to financially self sustaining.

Biggest thing is we have to get the game on FTA nationally. It is the only way we will attract decent sponsorships from local companies.

Interesting times ahead!

meltiger

First Grade
i just hope he has nothing to do with TV rights negotiations or expansion. i don't want to even hear him comment on either

I think we should give Gallop at least a chance once News are out of the ownership structure. Fact is, an independant commision must and will do what's in the best interests of the game, not the paymasters.

Not too sure on Love though :?

All in all though, this is a MASSIVE victory for the sport, and suffice to say News' imminent exit makes me one very happy camper.

Manly Mick

Juniors
The Sunday Telegraph understands three of Australia's top business leaders - Katie Page, Gary Pemberton and Geoff Dixon - have agreed to sit on the commission.Others, including the likes of banking heavyweight Mark Bouris, will be approached to form an eight-man board.

Can't wait 'til he says to Gallop "YOU'RE FIRED ! "

meltiger

First Grade
Still going to have to take into account the opinions of his board though.

I think you know, we;ve been screaming for the blood suckers to leave the game, and give us an AFL style commision for so long, we have to accept that not everything is going to be perfect.

If it goes through. this is a massive step for Rugby League in Australasia

Latest posts