What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans get their game back

TheRam

Coach
Yes, fair point.

However re-reading his piece, I don't think he is necessarily suggesting what you have written either.

Masters has said that a commmision with complete control elected by the NRL clubs is not the answer, but he hasn't said what he thinks is a better solution.

IMO, the best arrangement would be for the clubs to have control over the NRL competition, via the new commission.

Rep footy and deveopment should still be controlled by the state and national bodies, and revenues from rep games should stay with these bodies.

I really haven't suggested anything yet other then that the clubs should not have all the power in electing the makeup of the commission board, which is what Roy Masters has also done.

Maybe what would be a better fit is allowing all the parties to have a vote, meaning, including all the different leagues i.e. NSWRL, QLDRL e.t.c, and making it an 85% carry to get elected on to the board. That would allow all the voices to get heard and represented.

But that is just my opinion, unless someone else can think of a better way to do it.

Last edited:
I really haven't suggested anything yet other then that the clubs should not have all the power in electing the makeup of the commission board, which is what Roy Masters has also done.

Maybe what would be a better fit is allowing all the parties to have a vote, meaning, including all the different leagues i.e. NSWRL, QLDRL e.t.c, and making it an 85% carry to get elected on to the board. That would allow all the voices to get heard and represented.

But then what are the risks of having the same problems as today, with different "bodies" pushing their own self interest?

It's a tough call, isn't it? We're trying to get rid of the situation where little factions just look after themselves and their mates but the solution appears to be handing power to a new factions (Clubs) that won't necessarily be interested in forms of the game other than their own level (NRL).

So the solution to this is to maybe go back to the way things are now...crazy stuff.

Does anyone have a way out?

TheRam

Coach
But then what are the risks of having the same problems as today, with different "bodies" pushing their own self interest?

It's a tough call, isn't it? We're trying to get rid of the situation where little factions just look after themselves and their mates but the solution appears to be handing power to a new factions (Clubs) that won't necessarily be interested in forms of the game other than their own level (NRL).

So the solution to this is to maybe go back to the way things are now...crazy stuff.

Besides term limits, which I am not fond of for this type of enterprise, I can't think of anything else. But I reckon that my first suggestion will work quite well.

m0nty

Juniors
How about this for a solution: rugby league stops feeding the fat cats in the QRL and NSWRL, and strengthens the clubs instead.

Why should the state organisations get all the money from Origin? Did they develop the players into the stars they are all by themselves? No, the clubs did much of the work.

Sure, the state RLs pour money back into junior development (as do many clubs), but what's the point of doing that if the clubs can't afford to pay Origin-level players enough and they keep going overseas or to different sports? The balance is currently skewed too far against the clubs. Consolidating all rugby league revenue under one organisation allows for a more prudent allocation of funding.

One might even argue that the independent commission could save Origin. If the current situation keeps going with the clubs getting no profits out of it then the smart clubs would try to keep their players out of it in future, as they get no benefit and can only see their players cop long-term injuries like GI this year. If all the revenue is under the one roof then everybody wins out of Origin, and there's much less angst.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ssion-reach-critical-stage-20091204-kb13.html

Ball with ARL as negotiations over commission reach critical stage
GREG PRICHARD AND BRAD WALTER
December 5, 2009

NEXT Tuesday's scheduled board meeting of the Australian Rugby League has taken on critical importance in terms of the game's future, as News Limited waits for the governing body to make the next move on the independent commission front.

The Herald understands negotiations between News and the ARL on the formation of a commission to run the game have reached a vital stage, with the ARL asking for some revisions to be made to elements of a proposed agreement and News coming back with changes it was prepared to make, leaving the ball in the ARL's court.

The ARL, 50 per cent owners of the NRL, is expected to make some form of announcement related to negotiations over the independent commission following Tuesday's meeting, which comes off the back of yesterday's separate meetings of the NSW and Queensland rugby leagues.

News is not in a hurry to finalise negotiations. Rather than being prepared to relinquish its 50 per cent ownership of the game at any cost, it will wait until it is satisfied future control of the game is in good hands and that the currently News-backed Melbourne Storm club has a future before it steps away. Apparently, News would not be concerned if it took a few more months for that to happen.

Recent reports have suggested an agreement on a commission is not far away. There was even talk it might happen next week, or at least before Christmas. Any breakthrough in these delicate, latter stages of negotiations could push things ahead quickly, but the latest indications are that the soonest a deal is likely to be done is early in the new year.

There is a feeling at News that if the formation of a commission appeared rushed, and then, further down the track, the commission imploded, critics of News would delight in heaping blame on the company, regardless of whether it was deserved. So the last thing they will do is rush things.

The issue was discussed briefly at yesterday's NSWRL annual general meeting but officials said the proposed changes would have no impact on the running of the state bodies. However, if negotiations drag on, the NRL may be forced to appoint a new chairman after former Cronulla president Barry Pierce lost his place on the NSWRL board. To retain his position, Pierce needed to gain election as a vice-president of the NSWRL but failed to do so.

His position on the NSWRL board will be taken by Penrith chairman Barry Walsh, while former Test star and NSW sports minister Michael Cleary will replace Pierce on the ARL board, which will appoint three directors to the NRL board next Tuesday.

In other news from the AGM, controversial former Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald was awarded life membership of the NSWRL for 40 years' service to the game.

People, you must be careful not to intellectualize this all so much.

You are running round in circles.

I agree that there is the potential for rugby league to go "nrl dominant" at the expense of everything else BUT - here's the thing... SOME FOUNDATIONAL FACTS

1. Unlike AFL we have an international scene thats worth developing and tests that generate genuine interest.

2. Our state of origin series is a bonanza for the code. Very few players, if any, don't want to play in them. And no club would want to scrap it. Its hard to see that happening. Our State of Origin, as an event, is bigger than the AFL one ever was.

3. The NFL face a completely different set of challenges, and their international expansion, stunted by lack of interest be that as it may, is merely driven from a desire to increase revenue streams. No passion exists for it elsewhere, and they have all but given up trying to generate it. RL is a far more spreadable game.

I do not think anyone in their right mind wants to degrade rep footy. Its an integral part of the season. Apart from Origin, it all happens at the end of the year. So while its possible intellectually to say we could lose them, in reality its unforeseeable that it will happen. Also remember when players get pulled from internationals in soccer, its usually because the match is a friendly at an inconvenient place (like on the other side of the globe)....and usually the players pulled are very upset. Unlike soccer which has heaps of internationals, its fair to say that RL always has meaningful internationals at this stage.

I doubt eroding rep footy is in the best interests of the code, which is the mantra this new commission is living by. Roy raises a valid point, and he is not over the hill. His experience and knowledge is large. He raised a point, though, thats all - he didn't foretell doom, I will explain soon. A very good article. BUT I BELIEVE his title was probably put forward by the editor. ....

There will always be a certain amount of lobbying. And truly, a gathering of such people as who will sit on a commission will really mean that greater minds than before (no disrespect intended of the bluntness) will be gathering together in one place and generating ideas and tactics to propel the game forward, without restraint and with focus.

Last edited:

Kurt Angle

First Grade
As opposed to many here, I actually commend New Ltd for what they are doing in this regard.

They didn't have to leave until 2018, but as opposed to them being the ones pushing for 4N's, they seem to be the ones obstinant enough to NOT LEAVE until the right structure is in place.

Make no mistake, the $300 mil they spent during SL has been repaid vis-a-vis foxtel contracts 1998-2011, I gather they will have enough influence crica 2011 to get one more pay day.

But make no mistake, they aren't positioning themselves to say 'get what we can in 2001 and f*ck you", there seems to be enough voice to say that RL will progress in a positive direction afterwards.

Heaven forbid a Colin Love the sole leader afterwards.

The commission while not everything we want, is a yardstick and more than what we have right now. It also presents us with the position that if we, as FANS, want change, we can force it.

In 2012+, I would rather try to communicate to the new 'NRL commission, than the current NRL joint venture thats for sure.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...eats-agree-hes-not-the-man-20091205-kbyz.html

No Love lost as ex-greats agree he's not the man
ADRIAN PROSZENKO AND JOSH RAKIC
December 6, 2009

SOME OF the most respected figures in rugby league fear the game's new independent commission will never live up to its name if current Australian Rugby League chief Colin Love is appointed as its inaugural chairman.

The greatest administrative shake-up in over a century of rugby league could be just weeks away, with the ARL and News Limited set to relinquish control of the NRL to a new eight-person committee.

However, there are concerns the new regime will simply be a mirror image of the previous one unless new and independent officials comprise the committee.

Love is currently the chairman of the Rugby League International Federation, the NSW Rugby League and the ARL. It's understood that he will be offered the chairmanship of the commission for its first two years.

The majority of league luminaries polled by The Sun-Herald were concerned that Love would remain the chief powerbroker in rugby league.

''I'm struggling to come up with a better name on the spot, but I'm sure I can come up with a better one than Colin Love,'' respected player-turned-analyst Greg Alexander fumed.

''I've got nothing personal against Colin, I think he's a terrific bloke. But if we're going to have an independent commission, f--- me dead, how can you have Colin Love as the chairman? You can quote me on that.

''Let's be serious. Really, there wouldn't be a league fan that would cop that.''

Former Brisbane prop Shane Webcke, touted in some circles as a potential commissioner, added: ''This isn't against Colin Love, but if it's going to be a new independent commission, then that's what it should be.

''Inevitably, people who have been mired in either side of the organisation in the past will have their bias towards the way their bit of the company used to think. And you can't blame people for that.

''The danger you run into there is you bring across the old ways of thinking. It would almost be a disadvantage to be involved in the administration of the game towards this point. What will really make this thing take off is if you've got some dynamic thinkers in there who have a passion for our game, business acumen and fresh ideas.

''To have change, you need to make change. For our game to move forward … you need a fresh approach. That's not a slur on anyone involved in the game at the moment, but if we're going to do it, let's do it on that basis.''

Former prime minister John Howard was initially sounded out for the position, but that plan was scrapped in favour of appointing Love. Several people currently involved in the game, who didn't want to be quoted, believe the move is a poor compromise in order to get the commission over the line.

Manly co-owner Max Delmege said the initial choice of Howard, an avid league fan, would have been the ''perfect'' choice. Asked about other potential candidates, the property magnate simply said: ''If it's going to be an independent commission, it's got to be independent.''

Several league greats, including Wally Lewis and Warren Ryan, nominated Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle - the driving force behind the commission - as a potential chairman. While Ryan didn't have a definitive answer on the identity of the new chief, he stated: ''You'd tend to think if they wanted a fresh look, a new beginning, one of the current gang shouldn't be the boss.''

Those sentiments were echoed by former Broncos centre Steve Renouf, Kangaroos great Brad Clyde, former NSW hooker Ben Elias and the latest addition to Wayne Bennett's coaching staff, former Rooster Adrian Lam.

There was some support for Love, with Steve Mortimer, Wayne Pearce and Gary Belcher comfortable with his appointment.

''Colin is not linked to any NRL club and in my lifetime as a rugby league player, playing for the Bulldogs, NSW and Australia, I have found him to be a very decent person,'' Mortimer said.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-for-the-games-fresh-start-20091205-kbyy.html

Top line-up for the game's fresh start
IAN HEADS
December 6, 2009

RUGBY league's leaders have promisingly nailed the first step as the game sets out on the pathway that will define its second century of existence.

The 16 NRL clubs have been summarily excused from duty when it comes to the all-important task of selecting the first eight members of the long-awaited independent commission.

And that's exactly as it should be, considering the historical penchant of clubs for the old standby of self-interest, a reality illuminated yet again by the decision (via club chief executives) during the week to flick-pass any expansion of the game for some years.

It may well turn out to be one of those decisions that is considered - then calmly set aside by the new commission. With no club input, the eight men (and/or women) of the C21 Commission will be picked instead by representatives of those on the opposite sides of the Great Divide - News Ltd and the ARL - in a final gesture before (hopefully) unity and professionalism reign at last, and the bells ring out.

The second leg of the Great Question remains unanswered: will the two sides at this last round-up have the guts and gumption, the genuine care for the game, to ignore past feuds and appeasing mates and politics and old favours owed - and pick instead a commission that is simply the best: a blue riband line-up of diverse, talented people to guide the game onwards and upwards in the face of a particularly challenging future?

Watch this space …

The gentler decisions have already been made. Legal eagles Colin Love (ARL) and David Gallop will stay on - Love for two years to chair the commission and Gallop, secure as NRL chief executive for three to five years.

That in place, now comes the harder, more lofty stuff. The quest must be for nothing less than recruitment of the best talent available, providing a commission that reflects a genuinely wide body of knowledge - sweeping all the way from deeply ingrained nous concerning the game itself to high-range media savvy, to financial expertise, to the ability to engage the community, to impeccable commercial and marketing skills, even to the rarified air of spectacular entrepreneurial flights.

This new and history-making body needs to be a resilient one, made up of tough, skilful and non-aligned people. Their job collectively will be to soar high above the other shareholders in rugby league's firmament - the clubs, players, coaches and referees - when it comes to the big calls, to at times make objective decisions that may bruise and disappoint but always with only one thing in mind: the greater good of the game.

To nudge the debate along, I'll respectfully throw in a name or two without notice from my distant vantage point of the recent seasons.

If the decision-makers can be big enough to forget the bloody noses of the Super League years, the bloke who now works from dawn to dusk on a magnificent Hunter Valley property should be a shoo-in for a call. If John Quayle, an outstanding general manager of the NSWRL (1983-96), still has enemies in the game, even they would surely agree that, in 2010, as a more polished and rounded campaigner, he possesses an unsurpassed pedigree for what is required, his skills honed in the recent years by his fine work on many of the world's major sporting festivals, starting with SOCOG at the Sydney Olympics of 2000.

Quayle loves rugby league from the top of his head to the soles of his feet. He should be invited back.

John Coates, the blunt and skilful Australian Olympic supremo, ranks as one of the world's premier sporting officials. Does he have an interest in rugby league? Well, yes - to the extent that he was even at one stage ABC radio's around-the grounds man at Lidcombe Oval!

Would he be interested in or available for the commission? I have no idea.

Shane Webcke, a highly successful businessman, ranks as one of the most interesting, intelligent and forthright players I have met in my (almost) 50 years in and around the game.

He has trodden on (official) toes in things he has said in his books but is deeply passionate about league, rails against misbehaviour by players, is both an internationalist and an expansionist - and is a tough hombre inclined to say exactly what he thinks.

As a recent retiree he would link the commission with the arcane world of the modern professional player, providing a valuable insight into that world.

Wayne Bennett rates him so highly he once declared: "If he decides to go into [Queensland] politics, I can see him becoming premier."

Other names have been aired these recent weeks and there seems no doubt the selection panel will have a rich crop from which to pick, with someone like the highly regarded Katie Page near the top of that list. If they can get it right - without succumbing to matey old ways - it's a wonderfully exciting prospect for the game.

Beneath the supreme decision-making body, the other stakeholders will make their contributions and their recommendations - the clubs, the coaches, the country and junior bodies, the technical panel.

But the big calls about the game will be made at an entirely different altitude, where the word "independent" is the key to all.

Rugby league's ghosts of administrators past may well be circling this coming Christmas. I'm sure that the likes of J.J. Giltinan, Vic Trumper, Harry Sunderland, Jersey Flegg, Bill Buckley and all the rest would be chuffed by the giant leap that the game they helped create and shape is about to take.

Foundation day of the commission will take its place alongside epic administrative milestones of earlier years: the brave beginning, via the formation of the NSWRL (1907) and the QRA (later QRL) in 1908; the birth of the wider reaching Australian RL Board of Control (later ARL) in 1924; the arrival of the CRL in 1934; the rise of Kevin Humphreys with his New Deal of 1973; John Quayle and his ambitious and further-sighted reconstruction and Newer Deal (1983); then, the pulling out of the rug via the disastrous Super League split of 1995-97 and the fragile restoration of "peace" in December 1997, leading to the formation of the NRL in 1998 in and tentative steps back towards dry land.

Praise in the current process is due for sure to the likes of Michael Searle, who has been at the heart of this latest revolution; Steve "Turvey" Mortimer, who has championed it whenever the chance has arisen; and this newspaper's Phil Gould, who has campaigned so hard - plus, seemingly joining the throng, today's officials, who have taken a collective deep breath and with some pragmatism accepted the reality of irresistible change, even though it will diminish the role of numbers of them.

Potentially these are good times for rugby league as it muscles up for the challenges of the other codes. The remnants of the Super League era are to be finally flushed away. To celebrate, I would do only one more thing: rebrand the "new game" - call it Rugby League Australia - and under that unified banner set the sails for the 21st century.

Ian Heads began his career as a sports journalist in 1963, and has written about and observed the passing parade of rugby league ever since.

Jankuloski

Juniors
At last someone an article with some optimism. The way people were going on in this forum you'd think RL was going to die a fiery death and not prosper.

By the way, thank you for digging through the web for RL articles and posting them here, Diablo, it's a great time saver for the rest of us!

LESStar58

Referee
Agreed, especially on Shane Webcke. Recently retired great with some good ideas and principles. He's a good fit.

LESStar58

Referee
Re: the future of rep footy. I think this latest move to get the commission up sooner rather than later proves that the RL community wants the best for the game and wants to strengthen it's position in the sporting ladnscape of the country. Obviously a large part of that is showcasing the talent of our product through innovations like the All-Star Game in February.

For the game to stay as strong as it is currently and for the game to develop a stronger position in the future rep footy has to stay strong and to be honest I can't see Origin going the way of the AFL model when players conveniently get injured when interstate footy comes around.

Rep footy, especially at Origin level, is the pinnacle of a rugby league players career and I don't see any player fobbing off the opportunity to represent their state or country for the greater good of club footy.

TheRam

Coach
If John Quayle somehow miraculously made it on to the new Commission's board, then dare I say that Rugby League truly would be back on its feet and heading in the right direction to once again becoming the number one sport in Australia, which is where it always belongs.

Adding John Coates into the mix would also be a standout decision, possibly creating the two giant pillars that the house of League can be built on and in the process transforming the new board into the most powerful board in Australian football code history.

Monk

Referee
I just hope that by gunning for it *the 'new' game) so quickly, they dont cut corners that could be detrimental to the game down the track.

and by cut corners - i mean they really need to find the right people for the jobs, Quayle and Webcke would both be great decisions if they were to go that way.

ona2001

Juniors
Quayle? :? He's accomplished a great deal since leaving the NSWRL but the stench of him and Arko running the ARL like a fiefdom for their old Sydney club mates and being part of the process that saw the game split must have anyone associated with Queensland football uneasy.

Katie Page, Webcke and Coates are all excellent choices.