What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farah calls on PM to crack down on Twitter abuse

Flapper

First Grade
If you join twitter you open yourself up to it.
If Robbie doesn't like it he doesn't have to take part.

And if you don't want to get hit by a bus dont ever leave your house.

Saying that the onus is on the person getting victimized for being on twitter as opposed to the people saying them in the first place is the wrong way to go about things.

Big Sam

First Grade
Was it the same guy who told him to kill himself?

Don't know. Actually I re-read it and they didn't exactly threaten it. But they did wish him some misfortune which I'm not going to repeat.

So maybe there are no grounds on which to charge them.

ceagle

Bench
I just read those comments on Dan Ginnane's twitter and although yes, I admit the comments are definitely in bad taste and no one would appreciate having those comments said about their parents, I've heard hundreds of people during my life in school/university say things that are a lot worse than that.

If the person said something that was in any way threatening to an individual's safety (e.g. coming to their house to kill them), that must be taken seriously. There is a difference between maxpower118 saying "I HOPE your girlfriend gets raped" and "I am coming to your place right now to rape your girlfriend"
What f**king university did you go to?? :crazy:

Can't do much about it I'm afraid, if the guy gets prosecuted someone else will probably have a go.

Hes better off giving Twitter the flick and going back to texting with personal friends and family instead.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I enjoy a good troll as much as the next person, and celebrities are going to be subject to it due to their stature. Some of them just need to harden up or stop using it.

That said, what was tweeted to Farah was disgusting and completely inappropriate.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'm usually one to say that they should ignore it. But when it's at the level this guy has taken it..........how can you?

DJShaksta

First Grade
And if you don't want to get hit by a bus dont ever leave your house.

Saying that the onus is on the person getting victimized for being on twitter as opposed to the people saying them in the first place is the wrong way to go about things.

Twitter is an anonymous social media isn't it?
Requiring no identification to sign up?

If Robbie can't move in from it, delete the account and don't partake in Twitter.
Or he can accept the fact that some people on there are only there to cause trouble and ignore the taunts and move on.

undertaker

Coach
What f**king university did you go to?? :crazy:

UNSW (yes, they're one of the group of eight) for Bachelors, UTS for Masters. At UNSW/UTS, the inflammatory comments weren't just rife within the hippies/bohemian/green students but also the Asian international students. I'm half-Chinese myself (and speak Mandarin) and I tell ya, some of those things I heard some Chinese students say in class amongst themselves definitely give maxpower's twitter comments a run for their money. Don't think that because they get high marks (some through cheating, as I knew of those who faced disciplinary action because of this. Actually, this is a lot more common in Australian unis than the media gives attention to) and they may not do certain things like drink or smoke that they're not capable of saying equally malicious comments.

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
Are there double standards here? Some drongo has a crack at Tallis about his Mum's weight and almost everyone empathised with him.

Yet when someone writes something vile about Farah's deceased mother, some of you guys are saying it's Farah's fault.

whall15

Coach
I just saw the tweets and it seems to be that the guy is mentally ill.

Probably more effective to treat it as a medical problem than a legal one.

Flapper

First Grade
Twitter is an anonymous social media isn't it?
Requiring no identification to sign up?

If Robbie can't move in from it, delete the account and don't partake in Twitter.
Or he can accept the fact that some people on there are only there to cause trouble and ignore the taunts and move on.

It's only as anonymous as you make it. This bloke's ISP was exposed in a matter of minutes. Which he brought upon himself.

I get what you're saying, but I ain't a fan of the idea that people should avoid certain places because they might be bullied or something. It sends the wrong message.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Are there double standards here? Some drongo has a crack at Tallis about his Mum's weight and almost everyone empathised with him.

Yet when someone writes something vile about Farah's deceased mother, some of you guys are saying it's Farah's fault.

Who said it was Farahs fault?

Hutty1986

Immortal
What would the law have to say if this joker had said it to Farah in person? Could it be construed as a threat perhaps?

No way in hell the pr*ck would have said it to Robbie in person.

No need for criminal charges or anything like that, just lock him in a room with Farah for 10 minutes and let justice take its course.

undertaker

Coach

Which gets to my very point that I made in the previous post. What is classified is offensive/unacceptable/vulgar/crass/malicious is very subjective and varies a lot between individuals. And its because of this that It's going to be very difficult to clamp down on this from a legal perspective, in regards to introducing a single standardised law that encompasses everything that I mentioned

Kurt Angle

First Grade
A dog act, but seriously... calling for the PM to intervene?

Talk about a nanny state, always wanting the 'gumint' to fix it.

Robbie, fix it yourself, get off twitter if twitter is unacceptable.

undertaker

Coach
I just wonder if Paul Gallen is going to contact the PM next so that all the people on this forum stop calling him a "grub":

892168-lock-paul-gallen-1.jpg

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Its distasteful in the extreme and outright offensive. The bloke who wrote it has issues.

I don't see any criminality in it. Its just horrendous trolling.

Just dont go on f**king twitter. Simple.

Latest posts