What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farah calls on PM to crack down on Twitter abuse

retch

Juniors
You hope he does time? What sort of time do you consider appropriate?

In the UK the police give you a caution > I'm not exactly sure what that means but in the case of the young fella that tweeted the UK olympic diver he got a caution and was back tweeting the next day > albeit without the massive abuse.

Meth

Staff member
I can't believe the implication that Farah had it coming because he's a public figure on a public forum. There is no excuse for that sort of vitriol and Farah's profile does not make it any more acceptable.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
No such thing as anonymity. You're actually a thousand times more accountable online than you are in the crowd. Your tweet/post etc sticks. It's forever traceable. Whether it has your name on it or not, it has your virtual footprints. People don't realise that and the sooner the law changes to make sure they do, the better it will be. Cyber bullying has led to thousands and thousands of injuries and deaths.

It's slander and you can end up in court just as you would if you wrote it in the newspaper, or wherever. Same law applies.

Errr not if you know what you're doing. In fact, it's quite easy to set up a fall guy as well.

Even though I hate Farah, that sort of crap isn't acceptable. However, as has been said many times in this thread, you leave yourself open to this sort of crap by being on social media. Farah more than most footy players, he doesn't shy away from conflict on the medium and is pretty thin-skinned.

If someone has a little computer know how, it's a cake walk to hide your identity on twitter via VPN's or Tor. And no the police wouldn't be able to track you down.

DJShaksta

First Grade
No ones saying he deserved it, no ones saying he should stay off the Internet.
The problem is with twitter - can you not create an account and send a "tweet" to anybody?
At least Facebook is a little more secure as to who can post things on your page.

Hence my position - if you open an account on an unregulated social media you have to be prepared to cop some shite. Be a man, ignore it and move on.

BunniesMan

Immortal
In the UK the police give you a caution > I'm not exactly sure what that means but in the case of the young fella that tweeted the UK olympic diver he got a caution and was back tweeting the next day > albeit without the massive abuse.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17515992

Maybe if he got the same as this bloke he might have thought twice about tweeting again.

And as for the "where do you draw the line" BS argument that some on here are using. FFS we can trust the courts to not jail anyone for very minor things.

But there should be jail time for the most serious offenses.

Verbal or online abuse can be even more damaging than physical abuse, and I don't see anyone arguing against jailing people who physically abuse someone.

Frailty

First Grade
No thanks Farah, I'd rather the PM concentrate on real issues...

Perhaps you could use the Block function that is available on Twitter, and be the bigger man and realise some people are just merkins.

retch

Juniors
No thanks Farah, I'd rather the PM concentrate on real issues...

Perhaps you could use the Block function that is available on Twitter, and be the bigger man and realise some people are just merkins.

Totally agree with this post.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Errr not if you know what you're doing. In fact, it's quite easy to set up a fall guy as well.

Even though I hate Farah, that sort of crap isn't acceptable. However, as has been said many times in this thread, you leave yourself open to this sort of crap by being on social media. Farah more than most footy players, he doesn't shy away from conflict on the medium and is pretty thin-skinned.

If someone has a little computer know how, it's a cake walk to hide your identity on twitter via VPN's or Tor. And no the police wouldn't be able to track you down.

Not every social media idiot is capable of hiding their IP address. And I don't know that much about it, but surely there will be a movement towards figuring out how to get around those programmes as well.

And more moronic stuff about 'you open yourself up for it'. You open yourself up to all the dangers of the world by stepping out your front door, by waking up in the morning. What you're saying excuses the abhorrent behaviour of gutless f**ks like this, and gives them the justification in their own mind. The UK has the right laws. A guy who abused the diver and said he let his late father down got arrested. There's a line in the sand. I bet plenty of twitter heroes thought twice after that.

Danish

Referee
Just raise he's well known and is on the Internet doesn't mean he deserves it or that he should stay off the Internet. That's like saying you should spend your life inside to avoid being hit by a bus, stung by a bee or shit on by a bird.

And calling for twitter trolls to be gaoled is like demanding the government eradicate all birds, exterminate all bees, and stop all bus services just to make sure you don't get hurt by one.

I'd much prefer we take the US route on this (free speech trumps all) than the UK one (offending people = gaol time)

retch

Juniors
And calling for twitter trolls to be gaoled is like demanding the government eradicate all birds, exterminate all bees, and stop all bus services just to make sure you don't get hurt by one.

I'd much prefer we take the US route on this (free speech trumps all) than the UK one (offending people = gaol time)

I belong to a very big forum in the USA >

You need a lawyer to get a post taken down and no I'm not exaggerating.[whatever the free speech amendment applies]

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

And that's the sort of pussy that does it. Blames a hacker, says he was drunk, cries like a baby when he gets his comeuppance. Hope it happens to this guy too.

Again, the 'just be a man and block' fools are the ones giving acceptance to the behaviour. Rather than hitting the problem at the root, we just play the 'get over it' card. Just wait until it affects someone close to you and see where your viewpoint leaves you.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Is BM implying that when a women gets raped, it not her fault?
Shocking I know.

But there's this stupid callous culture out there where putting blame on the offender isn't fun so people have a go at the victim. It's ridiculous.

Everyone has a right to go about their day without being attacked, physically or sexually or verbally. Precisely 100% of the blame has to go to the offender, no ifs or buts.

I never he should be locked up so what was the point in directing that at me?

CrazyTiger

Juniors
I don't necessarily mean jail time. PD would be fine.

I don't know what was said and I don't want to. By all accounts it was truly sick. So this person needs to be outed, to have his name out there so we can all judge what a sick human he/she (he I'd believe) is, and he can live the rest of his life with the consequences.

You don't know what he said and you want him to do time?

It was offensive, on the other hand it was from anonymous person (from a practical perspective), and most likely said by someone he didn't know. Hunting down people
for such trivial stuff is a waste of resources in my opinion.

BunniesMan

Immortal

Then f**k off to America.

The majority common sense opinion in sane countries like this one is rights are NOT unlimited, rights come with responsibilities.

I'm optimistic laws will be changed for the better as more high profile victims like Charlotte Dawson and Robbie Farah get into the spotlight.

Danish

Referee
And that's the sort of pussy that does it. Blames a hacker, says he was drunk, cries like a baby when he gets his comeuppance. Hope it happens to this guy too.

Again, the 'just be a man and block' fools are the ones giving acceptance to the behaviour. Rather than hitting the problem at the root, we just play the 'get over it' card. Just wait until it affects someone close to you and see where your viewpoint leaves you.

You talk as though no one on the "sticks and stones" side of the argument has ever been effected by this sort of stuff.

I copped some disgraceful comments when my mum died from estranged family members, (now former) friends and even a couple drunk strangers at a pub. Never once thought that any of them needed to go to gaol for it.

some things are better sorted out by society in general rather than demanding government intervention in every bloody facet of our lives. Dickheads like this moron who said this stuff to Farah are undoubtedly getting the life they deserve simply by being who they are (highly unlikely its some ultra successful professional with a beautiful wife and kids for example) without the need to track them down and give them their 15 mins of fame.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
You don't know what he said and you want him to do time?

It was offensive, on the other hand it was from anonymous person (from a practical perspective), and most likely said by someone he didn't know. Hunting down people
for such trivial stuff is a waste of resources in my opinion.

I've seen enough people saying it was the most vile, disgusting thing in their life to know basically what it would have said.

It's. Not. Anonymous. Yes it's very likely to be someone he doesn't know. Does that make it any less cruel and hurtful? Not likely. It's not wasting resources at all. Look at the bigger picture. They track this guy down very easily using his IP. They arrest him, they get the message out that it is unacceptable. These 'trolls' (dunno when that was a substitute word for f**kwit) then run scared that they might end up in clink. It happens less. Abuse, injury and even death are avoided down the track. Think I'm being overblown? It happens a hell of a lot more than you may think.