What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farah calls on PM to crack down on Twitter abuse

CrazyTiger

Juniors
And if you don't want to get hit by a bus dont ever leave your house.

Saying that the onus is on the person getting victimized for being on twitter as opposed to the people saying them in the first place is the wrong way to go about things.

We'll need to be building a lot of gaols then. Half of LU will be doing 2 to 5 years.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Unfortunate reality of the generally faceless nature of certain online mediums.

Bottom line is that in these sort of instances, like in the UK, Twitter should be forced to cooperate with authorities to identify the cretin and have him dealt with

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If you join twitter you open yourself up to it.
If Robbie doesn't like it he doesn't have to take part.

This sort of ignorant BS is part of the problem.

It's along the same lines of 'they're a celebrity, they should be able to cop a bit of abuse on the chin. It's part of the job'.

Bullshit it is.

I hope this lowlife merkin gets outed and does some time for it. Then everyone else will realise they can't get away with it under a pseudonym or any other way. Farah, and anyone else, should be able to have a Twitter account to communicate with the decent part of the public without dealing with gutless people like the one involved here.

Be a decent person. Anything you write on here, or on Twitter etc should be something you're prepared to say to a person's face. That should be the basis for any human interaction. Too many people nowadays use the internet as a platform for bravado. Hell, half the posts on here wouldn't be expressed face-to-face.

dogslife

Coach
Are there double standards here? Some drongo has a crack at Tallis about his Mum's weight and almost everyone empathised with him.

Yet when someone writes something vile about Farah's deceased mother, some of you guys are saying it's Farah's fault.
No one is blaming Farah, just saying if you partake in this social media BS, you open yourself up to it because of the anonymity of it. I hardly think Tallis partaking in a game of footy should open him up to abuse of that kind from some spanker in the crowd, who everyone can see

undertaker

Coach
Be a decent person.Anything you write on here, or on Twitter etc should be something you're prepared to say to a person's face. That should be the basis for any human interaction. Too many people nowadays use the internet as a platform for bravado. Hell, half the posts on here wouldn't be expressed face-to-face.

Do you think Loudstrat would be prepared to say 99% of what he writes here to peoples' faces?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
A dog act, but seriously... calling for the PM to intervene?

Talk about a nanny state, always wanting the 'gumint' to fix it.

Robbie, fix it yourself, get off twitter if twitter is unacceptable.

Again, piss weak. The laws need to be changed. They are right in Britain and people have been jailed on the basis of racist, highly offensive tweets. Now it's gone a long way to eradicating such abuse - people run scared that their IP addresses are always readily available.

For the 'harden up' merchants, just apply it to your own case. Know someone who's passed away that's dear to you? Imagine messages about them. Now you're thinking differently.

Packy

Bench
I've read the tweet.

Once found. He should be forced to say it to Robbie's face. They should then be left alone for 10 minutes in a sealed room.

undertaker

Coach
No one is blaming Farah, just saying if you partake in this social media BS, you open yourself up to it because of the anonymity of it. I hardly think Tallis partaking in a game of footy should open him up to abuse of that kind from some spanker in the crowd, who everyone can see

What's your opinion of the incident where he went on NRL on Fox and waited until he got back home so he could use Twitter to bag off Matty Johns?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Do you think Loudstrat would be prepared to say 99% of what he writes here to peoples' faces?

Don't know the bloke, but if he's anything like some of the people I see on various message boards then I imagine the answer is no. Of course calling people idiots and merkins and losers etc isn't a criminal offence, but it looks piss weak when you do it online. When it gets personal, even more so. The way teenagers use facebook and abuse people like it's a fairytale land, rather than a traceable network with their full name on, is crazy.

IanG

Coach
Like alot of things in life there are individuals out there who'll abuse it.

If you publish in a newspaper or say things like this on radio you'd find yourself in court.

As has been stated, it can be traced through the IP address

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

No such thing as anonymity. You're actually a thousand times more accountable online than you are in the crowd. Your tweet/post etc sticks. It's forever traceable. Whether it has your name on it or not, it has your virtual footprints. People don't realise that and the sooner the law changes to make sure they do, the better it will be. Cyber bullying has led to thousands and thousands of injuries and deaths.

It's slander and you can end up in court just as you would if you wrote it in the newspaper, or wherever. Same law applies.

retch

Juniors
I saw this reported on Sky News this morning by Rebecca Wilson who went on to say she won't have a twitter account as she already cops so much abuse from email and IRL she doesn't want to give the general public another way of getting to her.

Truly an lol moment.

dogslife

Coach
No such thing as anonymity. You're actually a thousand times more accountable online than you are in the crowd. Your tweet/post etc sticks. It's forever traceable. Whether it has your name on it or not, it has your virtual footprints. People don't realise that and the sooner the law changes to make sure they do, the better it will be. Cyber bullying has led to thousands and thousands of injuries and deaths.

It's slander and you can end up in court just as you would if you wrote it in the newspaper, or wherever. Same law applies.
Well as far as Robbie is concerned the bloke hasn't got a name or a face, he's just a warrior with a keyboard

CrazyTiger

Juniors
This sort of ignorant BS is part of the problem.

It's along the same lines of 'they're a celebrity, they should be able to cop a bit of abuse on the chin. It's part of the job'.

Bullshit it is.

I hope this lowlife merkin gets outed and does some time for it. Then everyone else will realise they can't get away with it under a pseudonym or any other way. Farah, and anyone else, should be able to have a Twitter account to communicate with the decent part of the public without dealing with gutless people like the one involved here.

Be a decent person. Anything you write on here, or on Twitter etc should be something you're prepared to say to a person's face. That should be the basis for any human interaction. Too many people nowadays use the internet as a platform for bravado. Hell, half the posts on here wouldn't be expressed face-to-face.

You hope he does time? What sort of time do you consider appropriate?

If what was posted in the thread last night that was deleted is the message sent to Robbie Farah then it is beyond reprehensible. That message was truly one of the most disgusting things I've read for a long time.

Just raise he's well known and is on the Internet doesn't mean he deserves it or that he should stay off the Internet. That's like saying you should spend your life inside to avoid being hit by a bus, stung by a bee or shit on by a bird.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I agree with Farah 100%.

This issue is one of those "you're either with us or against us" issues. And you're either for vile abuse or you're against it.

This has nothing to do with a free society or freedom of speech etc. With any right you expect to have, there has to responsibilities that come with it. And I believe you forfeit your right to free speech when you say some of the most vile things imaginable about someones mother who has recently passed away.

What was said was literally the lowest most disgusting thing I've ever heard in my life.

And what is with the dickheads saying "if he doesn't like it he should get off twitter". Why the f**k does anyone think the victim should change their behaviour?

If the next time you go outside you get punched in the face how would you like it if you were told "well if you don't like it you should just stay inside".

Why should Farah be expected to give up social media because of disgusting bullies?

I support what the UK has done in making online bullying illegal and I would support any move to do the same here. If either major party stood for jail terms for serious online bullying they'd have my vote at the next election.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
You hope he does time? What sort of time do you consider appropriate?

I don't necessarily mean jail time. PD would be fine.

I don't know what was said and I don't want to. By all accounts it was truly sick. So this person needs to be outed, to have his name out there so we can all judge what a sick human he/she (he I'd believe) is, and he can live the rest of his life with the consequences.