What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Movie Quotes

horrie hastings

First Grade
Ava is such a phenomenally beautiful woman. She was 50 when she played Lily Langtry in The Life and Times Of Judge Roy Bean yet a younger actress couldn't have pulled off playing a character who was a legendary beauty any better.

Ava was a stunning beautiful woman,i think she looked the most beautiful in Showboat but there are so many other instances where she just stands out for her beauty. Interesting thing about Showboat was her singing voice was dubbed in the movie but her actual voice was used on the soundtrack album, her voice is good on the soundtrack so i cannot understand why she was dubbed in the movie.
Will have to watch Judge Roy Bean again, haven't seen it since the 70s.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Ava was a stunning beautiful woman,i think she looked the most beautiful in Showboat but there are so many other instances where she just stands out for her beauty. Interesting thing about Showboat was her singing voice was dubbed in the movie but her actual voice was used on the soundtrack album, her voice is good on the soundtrack so i cannot understand why she was dubbed in the movie.
I watch Judge Roy Bean regularly, it's in my Top 5 Westerns list.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Ava is such a phenomenally beautiful woman. She was 50 when she played Lily Langtry in The Life and Times Of Judge Roy Bean yet a younger actress couldn't have pulled off playing a character who was a legendary beauty any better.

Just saw the trailer for Judge Roy Bean, wow yes agree she is stunning in it, the picture of her on the bar wall is stunning too. Noticed a very young Victoria Principal in the clip also, she was also in Earthquake with Ava.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Major League (1989)

Pedro Cerrano: "Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come."
Eddie Harris: "You know you might think about taking Jesus Christ as your savior instead of fooling around with all this stuff."
Roger Dorn: "Shit, Harris."
Pedro Cerrano: "Jesus, I like him very much, but he no help with curveball."
Eddie Harris: "You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

A bit of a side note. I was reading something about "old" movie starlets the other day which led me down rabbit-hole over a few hours (pissing down rain all week in lockdown.... so good to while the time away).....

I looked up wikipedia pages of a load of these actresses from the 30's 40's, 50'.......

Ava Gardner
Lana Turner
Judy Garland
Jean Harlow
Vivien Leigh..

and a few others.

That said, what struck me is that most (pretty much all...) had enormous issues in their lives - be it booze, drugs, mental illness, "physical" illnesses, various tragedies (eg murders - Lana Turner's dad was murdered - unsolved - and her daughter stabbed an ex boyfriend/stalker who died right in front of her). Further to that - they all made millions for their studios but most had financial hardships, and died without much to their name.

Apart from Harlow (who died in her 20's), all of them had multiple husbands and relationships. Eg think Turner had 6 husbands... and many other relationships.. And - pretty much all of them were "forced" to change their names, using more suitable names in the eyes of the studios to best portray "glamour".

Struck me that their lives, while seemingly glamourous, were anything but. The movie "machine" squeezed every ounce out of them, but also didn't truly take care of them, while others took advantage of them (agents and the like), milking them for money. And while not in print that i read, I could only imagine the "casting couch" expectations on these women... and so many others who may never have "made it".

You guys might have known this already. I've never really watched much of "the golden years of hollywood" movies... But I'm intrigued by it all and keen to watch some of these movies now. And perhaps remember these big names for what they did best - on screen. Sadly though - what they did best was at an enormous price.

Jim Rockford

Bench
You guys might have known this already. I've never really watched much of "the golden years of hollywood" movies... But I'm intrigued by it all and keen to watch some of these movies now. And perhaps remember these big names for what they did best - on screen. Sadly though - what they did best was at an enormous price.
Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with their life stories. I can thoroughly recommend watching movies from that era. There are tonnes of awesome movies to be seen. They didn't have fancy special effects to rely on so it was all about the writing and acting. Two more actresses you should check out (their lives were a bit more normal though) are Jean Arthur and Barbara Stanwyck. I absolutely adore both of them and both are in a stack of great movies.

horrie hastings

First Grade
A bit of a side note. I was reading something about "old" movie starlets the other day which led me down rabbit-hole over a few hours (pissing down rain all week in lockdown.... so good to while the time away).....

I looked up wikipedia pages of a load of these actresses from the 30's 40's, 50'.......

Ava Gardner
Lana Turner
Judy Garland
Jean Harlow
Vivien Leigh..

and a few others.

That said, what struck me is that most (pretty much all...) had enormous issues in their lives - be it booze, drugs, mental illness, "physical" illnesses, various tragedies (eg murders - Lana Turner's dad was murdered - unsolved - and her daughter stabbed an ex boyfriend/stalker who died right in front of her). Further to that - they all made millions for their studios but most had financial hardships, and died without much to their name.

Apart from Harlow (who died in her 20's), all of them had multiple husbands and relationships. Eg think Turner had 6 husbands... and many other relationships.. And - pretty much all of them were "forced" to change their names, using more suitable names in the eyes of the studios to best portray "glamour".

Struck me that their lives, while seemingly glamourous, were anything but. The movie "machine" squeezed every ounce out of them, but also didn't truly take care of them, while others took advantage of them (agents and the like), milking them for money. And while not in print that i read, I could only imagine the "casting couch" expectations on these women... and so many others who may never have "made it".

Vivian Leigh and especially Judy Garland had tortured lives , if you get the chance watch Judy, it was the 2019 film about Judy Garland starring Renee Zellweger, absolutely amazing.

I have a lot of Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck movies in my DVD collection, those two ladies could act without saying anything.

Started watching In This Our Life the other night with Bette Davis and Olivia De Havilland, unfortunately the disc was faulty and would not play after a certain point, i tried it in the computer and my other other DVD players and it still froze at the same spot, even though i have seen the movie before i was annoyed because i was really getting into it again and it was at a really pivotal scene of the movie.

horrie hastings

First Grade

This was Ava's voice from the soundtrack of Showboat but it was dubbed for the movie by Annette Warren.

Latest posts