What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Origin Moments

Big Pete

Referee
Aside from Queensland arrogance and bright Blue prospects there hasn't been a lot to talk about in anticipation of the first State of Origin game. So why don't we talk about some of our favourite Origin moments from yester year. They can either be hilarious, iconic, a piece of brilliance or an off the cusp incident that only a Rugby League nerd would be able to recognise. I'll start with mine:

State of Origin Game 3 2002
This is my favourite game of Rugby League. There was just so much drama, moments and performances that can't go unnoticed. I loved it when Tallis lassoed Blues golden child Brett Hodgeson into touch. Was absolutely gutted when the Video Referee called no try on that brilliant piece of play by Darren Lockyer and was elated when Carlaw scored not long after to tie the series up. I certainly felt like we won that match no matter what the scoreboard suggested.

State of Origin Game 1 1998
Another candidate for best game ever. Seriously some of the attacking footy on display was amazing and the work of the likes of Langer and Johns was brilliant. Especially loved the ending with Carroll going over right beside the post.

State of Origin Series 1995
Who would ever predict a Queensland clean sweep? The manner in which they did it in was brilliant and really saved the State of Origin concept.

Hodges to Buderus State of Origin Game 1 2007
18-6 down and Hodges has the balls to tell Buderus who the better hooker is. I especially love the passing of the torch scene in the second game where Smith lines up Buderus with a beauty and Bedsy gets up and chases Smith like the sook he is.

and now for the sweetest...

State of Origin Game 3 2006
With 4/5 star backline players gone Queensland relies on the likes of Wesser, Hannay and Mogg to hold their own against an International NSWs backline. The match appears even until the video referee rules in favour of the Blues and Queensland fights back for the rest of the match but seemingly appear out of it. I was on LU as this match was taking place and I recall some loser from NSWs starting to sing We Are The Champions. As soon as he made that post, Thurston sends Brent Tate away for the first try before the determination of Darren Lockyer see's Queensland hit the lead and take the series. Couldn't of happen to a better bloke as Lockyer had been called a myth for a better part of 18 months and for him to score that try was sensational.

Your memories?

Dazzat

First Grade
Pete ... haven't got the time to do such a good job as yourself ... but Game Two, Suncorp Stadium about three years ago. Saying goodbye to the Blues supporter as he left early ... seems he had lost interested in the game.

A game about 20 years ago - I think it was the game when Choppy Close backhanded Eric Grothe to get him off a tackled player.

Sitting in the outer at Lang Park before it was redeveloped. You could see Blues supporters from 100 metres away, walking down the concrete stairs. "In-coming," the fans would whisper to one another.

The Blues supporter would innocently walk along the pathway near the fence at ground level; hundreds of Maroon supporters watching. As he approach the 'target zone' 50-90 Maroon supporters would beginning throwing everything from fresh vegetables through to half-eaten meat pies.

I'll always remember the eyes of the NSW supporter when the first projectile hit ... wide open and full of fear. Then they would start running ... and we laughed until we almost split our sides.

The smart ones (there was only one I think) walked next to a policeman ... well actually behind.

Then at half-time, several of the crowd made their way down to the fence, and picked up the remnants of their missiles, for a repeat dose after the game. Precious, precious memories those ...

Knightmare

Coach
Game 3 2005- it was meant to be Queensland's night, the 25th Anniversary of Origin, the decider played at Suncorp, Matt Bowen's extra-time intercept still fresh in the memories of the Queenslanders.

But NSW had other plans, and Joey put in a Wally-esque performance to tear the Maroons a new one. He saved his best Origin match until last.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Brad Fittlers last Origin game.

When the national anthem started, the whole crowd sang it. Singing the anthem, with 80 000 people and an Australian sporting eventing icon. When Freddy scored that charge down try, the crowd started chanting "Fittler". It was wonderful.

mongoose

Coach
State of Origin Game 1 1998
Another candidate for best game ever. Seriously some of the attacking footy on display was amazing and the work of the likes of Langer and Johns was brilliant. Especially loved the ending with Carroll going over right beside the post.

Your memories?

One of my fav NSW losses. Daley was on fire this game. Threw a reverse inside ball to send brasher on his way. He later scored a freakish try off a kick by scooping the ball up in one arm and diving over the line in the same motion. Johns didn't have his best game with the boot, I think he kicked 1/5 that night.

redvscotty

First Grade
Pete ... haven't got the time to do such a good job as yourself ... but Game Two, Suncorp Stadium about three years ago. Saying goodbye to the Blues supporter as he left early ... seems he had lost interested in the game.

This makes me laugh (a lot) as Bronco's fans are the worst for leaving Suncorp when they aren't in the game anymore.

Was it in Origin or a test chen Chief scored a try with his arm strectched out and started banging the ground with his fist?

Fittler's last game stands out for me.

Game 2 of 2005, Johns had the ball on a string. Game 3 with the incredible NSW defence.

NSW scoring after only 40 seconds.

My favourite has to be Crocker's slam dunk try he was awarded when there was about a 5 metre gap between hand and ball.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Never seen a more dominant display by a halfback at any level.

That was the first Origin I went to. :D

The big fuss in the lead up was due to the fact that Johns had not played any football for seven weeks due to injury.

It was a great performance, one of the best I've seen.

Talanexor

Juniors
When was Billy Slater picked on the wing for QLD - 2003/2004?

Nothing on, beats a few players, kiciks for homself and scores. Just pulled one right out of his a*se. That was sweet to watch. I was never really into league before that.

Big Pete

Referee

You're recollection is a little off as well...

Lockyer kicks it with Slater marginally on side. Ball bounces beautifully into his arms before he turns Minichiello inside and out leading to his chip kick and subsequent try. Probably one of the best Origin tries and another good Origin game.

Parra

Referee
Pre origin - 1978.

Tommy comes on to replace Mortimer and the Blues are trailing.

Tommy starts a blue and chases Oliphant over the sideline & gives him a flogging.

Neither Oliphant or Queensland recover and NSW goes on to win.

It doesn't get any better than that.