What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feleti Mateo (The Saviour)

Bigfella

Coach
How much has Burt improved the players around him?

He offers an extra option for Tim Smith; he backs up Eric's reasonably risky off loads and must have picked up 30-40 metres some game just by following Eric on an early hit up; he has tidied up some work for Hayne; he has finished some busts and offloads by Cayless and Moi Moi; he has saved the team several times from tricky situations with his short drop outs.

He has been inspirational to his teammates this year, and has helped a lot of them improve while improving himself.

Not even his biggest fan would have predicted his form this season.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
How is it funny?

This is a ridiculous thread. Every year there are dozens of players in the Parra grades who have potential. Some don't make it, some don't.

There is no proof that Mateo would have been a star if promoted last year. No proof at all. He was inconsistent in Prems last year, and there is no reason to think he would have been any different in firsts.

Not saying that Avenger is someone who does this, but how many Parra fans claim some new young kid to be the saviour, only for the kid not to realise their potential? Now someone's realising that potential and all the "I told you so's" are coming out.

Why din't we just enjoy it without getting all "I knew, I knew he was good" about it?

Utey

Coach
Jodeci said:
Isn't it funny now how everyone is starting to jump on the Mateo ride to fame.

Exactly. Anyone with an ounce of footballing knowledge could've said that Mateo has all the skills to be a very exciting backrower. Doesn't take a genius. Even a mate of mine who has little to none footballing insight said he goes well. That just shows.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
B-Tron 3000 said:
Why din't we just enjoy it without getting all "I knew, I knew he was good" about it?

Because there are people who would defend the decision by Smith and Taylor to omit him, who are now hailing him as a magician. Where were you when people gave it to me for my criticisms of Ian Hindmarsh?

I've been a Mateo fan since I saw him in the ESL in 2005, absolute magic particularly one game against Bradford who eventually won the comp. London were playing poorly, terrible halfback (Luke Dorn, if you know who he is), fowards not putting in but they had Mateo at five-eighth and he was immense, a real leader. They got belted but he set up their only try and created a few more linebreaks, he was the only bloke trying which says alot about the questionable attitude he supposedly has.

I guess everyones annoyed at the fact that in late 2004 Mateo should have been playing 1st grade consistantly but was dropped for no reason. That's 2 years of 1st grade exp gone. In that 2 years he may of become an origin player or international. Our pack was crying out for a player like him since Dymock and Jason Smith left.Fact is he was devestated after being told by the Professor that he was sh*t. Anyway, Lets just be happy now he is with us and ripping it up.

Our try scoring options and creativity just don't revolve around our halves now. We are dangerous all over. Feleti being in the team will help Tim Smiths game too.

fish eel

Immortal
The talk about whether or not Mateo should have been playing prior to this year is irrelevant.

We won the Minor Premiership without him the year we shipped him off to England, and while I always thought last year he should have been given a run, who is to say his form this year is because he served a solid apprenticeship and was made to earn his spot?

Pazza

First Grade
to me the true saviours of this team is the form of Cayless and Moi moi. it all starts up front and these guys are monstering the opposition. they are also being backed up nicely by cordoba and cannings

Bigfella

Coach
How is it funny?

This is a ridiculous thread. Every year there are dozens of players in the Parra grades who have potential. Some don't make it, some don't.

There is no proof that Mateo would have been a star if promoted last year. No proof at all. He was inconsistent in Prems last year, and there is no reason to think he would have been any different in firsts.

who is to say his form this year is because he served a solid apprenticeship and was made to earn his spot?

Exactly.

If I read another post about how Mateo's current form is proof that BS has no idea I will vomit.

The club clearly went to extraordinary lengths to retain him, despite them believing that he was not ready before this year. He could have been cut at any time.

And it was not just Smith who thought so - JT didn't pick him - and either did Hagan initially.

I will guarantee that all 3 of them knew how much potential he had though - because he kept being retained.

The thing that strikes me about our current youngsters - Inu, Hayne, Mateo - is how mature and ready for first grade they are. The fact they were held back to a degree has hardly hurt them - in fact it has done just the opposite surely?

It is more a case of fans wanting to take the credit for the player

Contrast that with say Tim Smith - he has always displayed immense talent, but his mental toughness and readiness for top leval have been the questionable aspects.

fish eel

Immortal
Bigfella said:
And it was not just Smith who thought so - JT didn't pick him - and either did Hagan initially.

Well Hagan didnt pick him for just the one match, and didnt some ppl on here have kittens :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:
Because there are people who would defend the decision by Smith and Taylor to omit him, who are now hailing him as a magician. Where were you when people gave it to me for my criticisms of Ian Hindmarsh?

I've been a Mateo fan since I saw him in the ESL in 2005, absolute magic particularly one game against Bradford who eventually won the comp. London were playing poorly, terrible halfback (Luke Dorn, if you know who he is), fowards not putting in but they had Mateo at five-eighth and he was immense, a real leader. They got belted but he set up their only try and created a few more linebreaks, he was the only bloke trying which says alot about the questionable attitude he supposedly has.

I'll come out and say it, Feleti didn't deserve to be in fg in first half of 2006, it wasn't until Smith left when we really saw what he can do, whether it was Smith factor for the change of form, i'm not sure but he certainly pulled his finger out in more ways than one.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
B-Tron 3000 said:
How is it funny?

Not saying that Avenger is someone who does this, but how many Parra fans claim some new young kid to be the saviour, only for the kid not to realise their potential? Now someone's realising that potential and all the "I told you so's" are coming out.

I agree with you. Too many young players are labelled the next someone or a star of the future by people that go and watch them. Then all of a sudden they must play first grade. True some players will make it but there are some posters that have named almost entire lower grade teams in this way. It gets ridiculous.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Bigfella said:
The thing that strikes me about our current youngsters - Inu, Hayne, Mateo - is how mature and ready for first grade they are. The fact they were held back to a degree has hardly hurt them - in fact it has done just the opposite surely?

Contrast that with say Tim Smith - he has always displayed immense talent, but his mental toughness and readiness for top leval have been the questionable aspects.

Excellent point.

If Mateo had been promoted last year, or in 2005, I bet after a few games there would have been arguments left, right and centre. "He's not ready", "He's too inconsistent".

Tim got it (and still does from some), and at one point was sent back down to Prems to get his head straight. I know it was a complex situation which wasn't just about his on-field form, but it showed that he wasn't mentally ready for the pressures of First Grade.

There are many reasons a player doesn't get promoted - skill and talent are only one of them.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
I guess everyones annoyed at the fact that in late 2004 Mateo should have been playing 1st grade consistantly but was dropped for no reason.

Just because we don't know the reason, doesn't mean there wasn't one.

I think you will find most wanted him to play 1st grade here because if he didn't he would most likely leave to play 1st grade somewhere else and would be killing us everytime he played us. That has happened before that players who didn't get a run here leave and go great elsewhere. The people on here who watch PL everyweek for the past few years saw the class of Mateo and wanted him here for the future. As much as I admire Brian Smith and what he did for this club his mind games with young players could have cost us all the talented junors we have coming thru now. Thank Mick Hagan for giving this young guys a go and to Jason Taylor for promoting Hayne last season.
The future is good at Parramatta, I'm glad I support the eels!

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Bigfella said:
How much has Burt improved the players around him?

He offers an extra option for Tim Smith; he backs up Eric's reasonably risky off loads and must have picked up 30-40 metres some game just by following Eric on an early hit up; he has tidied up some work for Hayne; he has finished some busts and offloads by Cayless and Moi Moi; he has saved the team several times from tricky situations with his short drop outs.

He has been inspirational to his teammates this year, and has helped a lot of them improve while improving himself.

Not even his biggest fan would have predicted his form this season.

Its also a case of Burt inproving because of the players around him. ;-)

COACH STERLING

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:
Absolute rubbish.

You say it's absolute rubbish.

Specify why then?

Players who play around rep players are always going to learn more and become better, if you disagree with that then I guess you've never player any sport before to understand how it works.

Just to help you along the way, if you work with qualified professionals in your workplace, then it's better than working with people that have no qualification or skills. Would you agree?

Or have you never worked before either?