What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feleti Mateo (The Saviour)

MuleEel

Juniors
Tim Smith & Feleti Matteo would have been a magical combination. They were so at stages last year and if their combination was given time it would have been special. Unfortunately the knowledgable fans (and renound league brains such as Peter Tunks) wanted Brett Finch at half.

We should give Timmy an open invitation to return any time he likes, he is potentially one of the best halfbacks in the competition and even when he is not at this best he has a superior halfbacks game than most in the competition. He will excel with Wigan and his confidence will go through the roof.

spiderdan

Bench
It has to happen.

I just can't see us winning a premiership with Finch as our 7.

His 5th tackle options are terrible.

As Gould said today, Feleti is running our team - he's been simply outstanding the last 2 weeks.
mateo has been outstanding for almost every game this year.

i wouldn't be surprised if he came close to or even won the dally m player of the year.

finch was going well until about a month ago. seems to have lost his long kicking game.

Gronk

Staff member

finch was going well until about a month ago. seems to have lost his long kicking game.

Our kicking game was at it's best when we had Tim/Finchy as options. Now Finchy is the only option and he is easy to pressure. They need to get Feliti, Luke and Piggy/Keating in the mix IMO.

spiderdan

Bench
Our kicking game was at it's best when we had Tim/Finchy as options. Now Finchy is the only option and he is easy to pressure. They need to get Feliti, Luke and Piggy/Keating in the mix IMO.
yeah i agree. particularly with burt and mk. burt has shown before he can hoof a ball a mile. i think he should be used as our kicker much like lockyer did when he played fullback.

Gronk

Staff member
Mateo was on the NRL on Fox show last night. Didn't have a great deal to say. He doesn't have a licence to run riot by Hagan. He's success this year was more about him maturing and learning when to pop the ball.

Warren Smith also asked him if the group of Polynesian boys is the side have some sort of special communication between them. Feleti was polite but said :roll: no, not really. I think Wazza was hoping for him to say - yeah we have this Star Trek Vulcan telepathy thing happening. :lol:

Jodeci

Bench
Mateo was on the NRL on Fox show last night. Didn't have a great deal to say. He doesn't have a licence to run riot by Hagan. He's success this year was more about him maturing and learning when to pop the ball.

Warren Smith also asked him if the group of Polynesian boys is the side have some sort of special communication between them. Feleti was polite but said :roll: no, not really. I think Wazza was hoping for him to say - yeah we have this Star Trek Vulcan telepathy thing happening. :lol:

Thought Feleti represent not only himself but the club very well last night

Great work Feleti :)

spiderdan

Bench
i agree jodeci. he came across very well and without ego despite gaining a bit of a cult status at parra and having most league fans talking about how good he is.

and i thought it was a dumb question/statement to make about the polynesians having an understanding. the media used to pedal that crap about indigenous players like it was some kind of outback magic. looks like it's moved to the polynesians now. gotta love a racial stereotype getting pushed around.

i agree jodeci. he came across very well and without ego despite gaining a bit of a cult status at parra and having most league fans talking about how good he is.

and i thought it was a dumb question/statement to make about the polynesians having an understanding. the media used to pedal that crap about indigenous players like it was some kind of outback magic. looks like it's moved to the polynesians now. gotta love a racial stereotype getting pushed around.

Well the quote acutally came from Hindy on that one Fella's

Hindy in the Post Match Press Conferance said

Hindy from Australian Article said:
"I got a few high fives from the Polynesian gang before I ran out," Hindmarsh said, smiling.
"Usually I don't get into that stuff but there was a few high fives going on.
"A few secret handshakes, but they are secret so I can't do them here."
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23868509-2722,00.html

barney gumble

Juniors
A positive of these types of message boards is that this thread was first started in march 2006 when pretty much only the Eels faithful had heard much about Feleti.
Well now the whole League world is taking about him.

Jodeci

Bench
But some people here believe Luke Burt is a star. Inu and Hayne are only 18 and they are already better then Luke Burt will ever be.

I've been saying all along, this Feleti from day one is a kid in the making. He is a natural 5/8 unlike Morris

100% Burney Gumble

Gronk

Staff member
Feleti said last night that he thought his best position would be 6 rather than 13. The extra defence at lock would tire him out and limit his attack.

KeatingK supporters would have been banking on Feleti playing lock, however I don't think that is going to happen now. Will KeatingK sub for KeatingM next year ?

apeman

Juniors
he said "you know" about 80 times in 10 mins. lol.
He was nervous! he never says that on parraTV.

eg you know the boys played well, you know, we trained hard, you know ...

apeman

Juniors
Shades of Dymock

Feleti Mateo won't be required for State of Origin this time around, but his Parramatta teammate Nathan Hindmarsh has no doubt the bustling five-eighth is headed for the top. "He'll play for NSW and Australia," said Hindmarsh, who knows what it takes to get that far. "The amount of raw talent he's got is amazing. He used to push the pass a bit, but he's getting that under control now. He can make something happen by running the ball or passing it - he reminds me a lot of Jim Dymock."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/sydney-shakes-off-apathy/2008/06/19/1213770827999.html

Avenger

Immortal
Is Mateo the best 6 we have had since Kenny ?

Notable mentions are Buettner in 2001 and Jason Smith in the lates 90's.

apeman

Juniors
in Big League magazine, Mateo has been player of the round/week for 3 weeks in a row

(versus bris/canberra/tigers)

He will be the 5/8 of the round this week also base on today, prolly not player of the round though.

good on him!