What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feleti Mateo

bartman

Immortal
eelavation said:
he's definitely in our top 35 next year.
There's a big difference between top 35 and making the first choice 17, like some people are predicting for the start of next season. I hope he comes on, and really it is entirely up to Feleti whether he does - attitude, application, consistency.

Utey

Coach
strider said:
how old is feleti?

Mateo_junior_roos.JPG

Jake the snake said:
How would you know? Your always blind drunk at games.

roflmao - poor old diddums....did I make you sad by daring to not acquiesce to your judgement about your favourite player?

haha

and guess what, Jakey-poo? I haven't been blind drunk at the footy for years, haha!

But don't worry, everyone knows how great you are and how you know everything about everything. Sure, Jake, Mateo will be playing for Australia on the Tri-Nations this year - he's just THAT good (cause you said so, haha!)

Hollywood Jesus said:
roflmao - poor old diddums....did I make you sad by daring to not acquiesce to your judgement about your favourite player?

haha

and guess what, Jakey-poo? I haven't been blind drunk at the footy for years, haha!

But don't worry, everyone knows how great you are and how you know everything about everything. Sure, Jake, Mateo will be playing for Australia on the Tri-Nations this year - he's just THAT good (cause you said so, haha!)

Your weird man.:b: As I said lay off the grog;-)

Eelementary

Post Whore
I seriously cannot believe what I'm reading...

Because he's human and has shown emotion (ie: because he's NOT a robot and does NOT let getting dropped for no good reason get to him), he's lazy or has a bad attitude? Please. Give me a break.

* He made his First Grade debut, indicating he is rated by staff.

* He was dropped, and for no reason.

* Even with injuries and suspensions he couldn't get back into First Grade - even when he deserved it.

* He was then loaned to a team halfway across the globe, thus further giving him this idea of, "No matter what I do, I just can't get a break in Grade here at ther Eels."

Considering those 4 bullert points, I think it's understandable why his attitude drops off from time to time. But instead of sympathising, we criticise him for it.

What a fickle bunch of fans we truly are.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
The bloke is the best ball player in the club by a mile, an absolute gun.....people who don't see this cannot identify talent.

I hope we don't loose him, should be in first soon.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know:

If Hayne suffered an injury or was suspended next season, and couldn't get a look in again for the rest of the season and dropped his attitude...Would people be so harsh with him?

Somehow, I doubt it.

cardinal

Juniors
Eelementary said:
Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know:

If Hayne suffered an injury or was suspended next season, and couldn't get a look in again for the rest of the season and dropped his attitude...Would people be so harsh with him?

Somehow, I doubt it.

Ummm I think Jarryd has a few more credit points up after his performances in the NRL compared to Feleti's one solid showing. You guys should'nt stress he will either make the grade and show his class or he will be one of many with the talent but not the work ethic or desire to make it at NRL level. I love hearing about his great ball skills but I also want to hear about his high workrate and hard hitting in defence, Dean Widders has all the skills but his defence is very underated, he made 30 tackles off the bench against the sharks.

1eyedeel

Juniors
He's being going great guns for the last 2 months now - I don't think anyone can complain about his consistency of late.

Eelementary

Post Whore
cardinal said:
Ummm I think Jarryd has a few more credit points up after his performances in the NRL compared to Feleti's one solid showing. You guys should'nt stress he will either make the grade and show his class or he will be one of many with the talent but not the work ethic or desire to make it at NRL level. I love hearing about his great ball skills but I also want to hear about his high workrate and hard hitting in defence, Dean Widders has all the skills but his defence is very underated, he made 30 tackles off the bench against the sharks.

But that's part of my point - he SHOULD be playing First Grade as we speak. He was dropped for no good reason.

cardinal

Juniors
Eelementary said:
But that's part of my point - he SHOULD be playing First Grade as we speak. He was dropped for no good reason.

And who should be dropped from our forward pack to include Feleti ?

PTB

Juniors
Some of you are heaping far too much pressure on someone so young.

Some of you seem to be under the impression he was lazy or ordinary in his spell in England!

Nothing could be further from the truth - he was very special. He signed for my club (London) and I would say we would not have made the play offs without him.

I was nothing but impressed. Pure Class. I have seen Jimmy Dymock many times, and Feleti is right up there in the same bracket.

It speaks great volumes about your club that a player like Feleti with such ability cannot get into first grade.

True EEL

Bench
i rate Feleti Mateo

and have only seen him play "that" first grade game against Melbourne 2 years ago, where i agree with others in that he was "solid" AND in the ESL where he played well in patches, which is the biggest thing with him

i am really, really pleased to hear he is going well in PL at the moment and still have big hopes for him, such as him having a fair crack at lock next year

we need a good, young and creative lock next year as we lose Morro and someone who can go with Finch and Smith to form a good scrumbase trio for some years to come and i think it can be Mateo

i don't really want to talk about next season yet, but we are losing (from the forwards) Morrison and Widders and so far have gained Todd Lowrie (who is young and goes ok) and Ian Hindmarsh (who i think will play off the bench mainly)

i would like to see something like this next season:

13. Mateo
12. Wagon
11. Hindmarsh
10. Robinson
9. Riddell
8. Cayless (c)

14. Marsh
15. Lowrie
16. Cordoba
17. Moimoi

and if Fui regains his starting spot, then i guess Wags probably has to drop back to the bench and Robbo back to the second row, but i would really love to see Feleti given first crack at lock - even though i know he hasn't proved anything yet at first grade level - but lock is open right now and maybe the club just needs to show some faith in this kid and get his confidence going

and i gave Lowrie the nod over Ian Hindmarsh as he is actually playing first grade in the NRL now and will be a good fit for our bench - he may even be given a crack at lock yet actually (i know it seems a contradiction as Felti isn't playing first grade, but i guess it's the youth factor with him)

P.S.

Backline.....

1. Burt
2. Hayne
3. Smith
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Finch
7. Smith

Stagger eel

Staff member
PTB said:
Some of you are heaping far too much pressure on someone so young.

Some of you seem to be under the impression he was lazy or ordinary in his spell in England!

Nothing could be further from the truth - he was very special. He signed for my club (London) and I would say we would not have made the play offs without him.

I was nothing but impressed. Pure Class. I have seen Jimmy Dymock many times, and Feleti is right up there in the same bracket.

It speaks great volumes about your club that a player like Feleti with such ability cannot get into first grade.

he's 21 mate...he's always had potential but it appears that he's only just realised this in last 2 months.

What will be interesting next year is to see how Hages adapts to coaching players of polynesian backgrounds.

Unless I am wide of the mark I can't remember the Knights having too many islanders in their ranks in his time. We have a few down here now.

Certainly not a racist obserbvation but an observation nonetheless.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Belly in Brisvegas said:
What will be interesting next year is to see how Hages adapts to coaching players of polynesian backgrounds.

Unless I am wide of the mark I can't remember the Knights having too many islanders in their ranks in his time. We have a few down here now.

Certainly not a racist obserbvation but an observation nonetheless.

it is an interesting observation actually I have thought about it and came to the conclusion that Hage's level head will be an advantage when it came to a one on one approach.

The Colonel

Immortal
I have no doubt that Mateo should be playing first grade. The kid can do everything on a football field - I wish I had one quarter of his talent. His one fault has always been application and attitude and I will stand by that. Just because he is talented doesn't mean he should be in first grade - he has to put in the work to get there. He played well in his debut game and maybe could have been given another game - IMO he didn't put in when he should have as he would have been given first shot at the 5/8 role had he. His attitude and application up until a couple of months ago hasn't warranted his selction though. I'm happy to say that in recent months I can fault how involved he has been....he has improved out of sight.

I hope it continues as he would be an undoubted match winner starting or off the bench

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The Colonel said:
I hope it continues as he would be an undoubted match winner starting or off the bench

If his attitude and application is right I can see him filling the number 15 jersey as a ball playing backrower.

sooperdooper

First Grade
We all know Mateo is talented...
i dont want to turn this into a BS bashing but is it just me or has he been playing better since BS left?

Mateo has a bit of a free hand... to throw the long ball or take on the line and offload...
Was BS trying to change his style? i dont know....

i agree he is a talent, he will get his shot again and then he must grab it with 2 hands

Latest posts