What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feleti Mateo

cardinal

Juniors
The Colonel said:
I have no doubt that Mateo should be playing first grade. The kid can do everything on a football field - I wish I had one quarter of his talent. His one fault has always been application and attitude and I will stand by that. Just because he is talented doesn't mean he should be in first grade - he has to put in the work to get there. He played well in his debut game and maybe could have been given another game - IMO he didn't put in when he should have as he would have been given first shot at the 5/8 role had he. His attitude and application up until a couple of months ago hasn't warranted his selction though. I'm happy to say that in recent months I can fault how involved he has been....he has improved out of sight.

I hope it continues as he would be an undoubted match winner starting or off the bench

I ask again if he should be playing 1st grade then who would you drop? I hope no one says Wagon because I think he is one of the form backrowers in the NRL

fish eel

Immortal
I've no doubt that come round 1 next year, Mateo will be starting in dean widders spot on the bench.

The Colonel

Immortal
cardinal said:
I ask again if he should be playing 1st grade then who would you drop? I hope no one says Wagon because I think he is one of the form backrowers in the NRL

Does it matter? I said should - doesn't necessarily mean he will and while the current crop is winning then I'd leave it the way it is. If we cop an injury in the near future and his form holds then we may see him this year - could even be a surprise selection in the finals if we need some spark.

cardinal

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Does it matter? I said should - doesn't necessarily mean he will and while the current crop is winning then I'd leave it the way it is. If we cop an injury in the near future and his form holds then we may see him this year - could even be a surprise selection in the finals if we need some spark.

sorry but when you said SHOULD I took it that you ment he should be in our current side , my mistake.

The Colonel said:

The current crop may be winning but what worries me is if we had to play the Storm and the Dogs. We might be competitive with these guys but do we have the killer punch for these two...the other sides I think we can cover.

Don't get me wrong I am rapt as to where we are at but if Feliti would ADD an extra dimension to our attack and we wouldn't lose anything in defence then I would be prepared to find a spot for him. The only place for him would be Wagons and that is only on the basis that his attack is one dimensional.

I am prepared to be flayed over this.

yy_cheng

Coach
I'm not worried about our attack.

If we get to the opposition's quarter, we have many options to score. Riddell, Morris/Smith kicking to Jarryd/Grothe/Burt, Widders/Odie and many more options.

For long distances, we have flyers in Wade, Jarryd, Grothe, Burt.

For mid field 4th tackle and last tackle run options, we have Widders/Odie and B Smith/Grothe combo.

Against the Dogs and Storm, if our pack holds up, attack is not the problem irrespective of who is playing half.

It's our pack and defense which is winning us games and it's whether what we are producing now in defense, is good enough against the dogs or storm that will determine if we will win.

We have an excellent defensive pack. Back row is VERY SOLID. Props are very good too. My problem has always been the go forward of this pack but as the 100m men has proved me wrong, wrong, wrong every game.

Belly in Brisvegas said:
The current crop may be winning but what worries me is if we had to play the Storm and the Dogs. We might be competitive with these guys but do we have the killer punch for these two...the other sides I think we can cover.

Don't get me wrong I am rapt as to where we are at but if Feliti would ADD an extra dimension to our attack and we wouldn't lose anything in defence then I would be prepared to find a spot for him. The only place for him would be Wagons and that is only on the basis that his attack is one dimensional.

Don't worry mate ............. your not the Only one that thinks like this.

Jake the snake said:
HJ,

You also don't rate Cordoba.

I never said this, either.

Same deal as with Mateo - very good player but you guys are drooling over them as if they are already pencilled in to play for Australia or something.

Parramatta fans should know better than most that a good junior does not always turn into a great first grader.

Josh is a very talented front rower - and had a great game against the Sharks - but you guys have to stop blowing your loads over them until they get regular first grade time and prove themselves.

Josh played very well on Saturday - best game by far. Now he has to do it again this weekend, and the next, and the next etc etc

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Belly in Brisvegas said:

I can see where you are coming from Belly but I don't think Mateo is the answer just YET imo. Tim will sort out our attacking side when he comes back. Personally I think Wags has to stay as he ia very important part of our side at the moment. Until Tim comes back we will just have to go with the guys there IMO.

By the way when is Tim due back???

sooperdooper said:
We all know Mateo is talented...
i dont want to turn this into a BS bashing but is it just me or has he been playing better since BS left?

Mateo has a bit of a free hand... to throw the long ball or take on the line and offload...
Was BS trying to change his style? i dont know....

i agree he is a talent, he will get his shot again and then he must grab it with 2 hands

got speculation?

T-BONE MCGRAW said:
I can see where you are coming from Belly but I don't think Mateo is the answer just YET imo. Tim will sort out our attacking side when he comes back. Personally I think Wags has to stay as he ia very important part of our side at the moment. Until Tim comes back we will just have to go with the guys there IMO.

By the way when is Tim due back???

Couple of Weeks.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hollywood Jesus said:
I never said this, either.

Same deal as with Mateo - very good player but you guys are drooling over them as if they are already pencilled in to play for Australia or something.

Parramatta fans should know better than most that a good junior does not always turn into a great first grader.

Josh is a very talented front rower - and had a great game against the Sharks - but you guys have to stop blowing your loads over them until they get regular first grade time and prove themselves.

Josh played very well on Saturday - best game by far. Now he has to do it again this weekend, and the next, and the next etc etc

in all seriousness John, for someone who's been a great supporter of the dim dark ages of the early 90's as shown in your sig, I think you should be the last person to pound someone over their support for up and coming players.
;-)

let's get fairdinkum.

The Colonel

Immortal
Belly in Brisvegas said:

What worries me if we play the Dogs and Storm - which if we are to make the Grand Final will have to happen at some stage you would think - is the lack of size. Against a few teams we have struggled early on but both sides are relentless in their forward play at the moment. If we start like we did against the Sharks against either of these two sides we will struggle.

Robbo is holding his own at the moment but with just Cordoba and Cayless against these guys we will struggle there first. With Widders on the bench we don't at this stage warrant selecting Mateo. To compete with these sides I hope Fui or Vella or one of two of the other front rowers return (or step up).

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
What worries me if we play the Dogs and Storm - which if we are to make the Grand Final will have to happen at some stage you would think - is the lack of size. Against a few teams we have struggled early on but both sides are relentless in their forward play at the moment. If we start like we did against the Sharks against either of these two sides we will struggle.

Robbo is holding his own at the moment but with just Cordoba and Cayless against these guys we will struggle there first. With Widders on the bench we don't at this stage warrant selecting Mateo. To compete with these sides I hope Fui or Vella or one of two of the other front rowers return (or step up).

I think if we make it that far C we'll alot more to choose from our depth in the pack.

Latest posts