What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

Stagger eel

Staff member
What benefits did Johns receive to sign his last contract at the Knights?

The NRL didn't give them cash - they made an allowance though?

and I never agreed with that either...

if he's genuine he'll come without the top up and now that it's well publicised that QC could be using our club as a bit of a bargaining tool than it puts preasure on Team QC to make a decision for the best interest for his career and not bank balance.

Bigfella

Coach
No doubt if the NRL have the final say he'll be playing for Melbourne Broncos or Cowboys next year anyway?

shiznit

Coach
Funny that, from what I've seen of him and to what other experts would claim he would actually be a bloody amazing signing for Parramatta.
:lol: what 'experts' are those?? Phil Kearns??

he may look good for the wobblies... but there absolute rubbish...

Daniel Carter would be an amazing signing... but he would be on almost a whole clubs cap on his own...

Gronk

Staff member
So the AFL sign cutie & Izzy with head office top-ups and we all know about the ARU cash lining Tahu, Gasnier etc pockets, but the NRL can't or won't subsidise such a huge PR opportunity ? Groan.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Cooper is used to the way Union operate, unfortunately League doesn't operate this way and I cant see Gallop coming to the party or bending rules for anyone other than the Storm.

strider

Post Whore
Hi Strider, you are one of the wise guys in here ( hsa ha ha ), do you really think he will fix our half problem ?

I wonder if he really offered thurston a serious offer since we so much cash !!! maybe things could be different
ohhhh - a wise guy eh? no respect .... :lol: - you had to have watched that jabba jaws cartoon in the 80s

i don't watch union so i wouldn't have a clue if he'd go ok .... but i reckon union got a little tougher and more defensively intense in recent times, so I don't think the defensive issues would be as bad as the stereotype people are suggesting (might not be a great defender, but certainly not terrible either)

I tend to think a union player could make the transition to league much easier than vice-versa ... because league is less structured, so there's less you have to learn - league is more open with a chance to use your skills and from the small amount i've seen this guy looks like Benji without the "hey bros"

he'd go good i reckon ..... but imo he won't get the chance, he'll get big bucks from union and will stay there

stuke

Bench
So the AFL sign cutie & Izzy with head office top-ups and we all know about the ARU cash lining Tahu, Gasnier etc pockets, but the NRL can't or won't subsidise such a huge PR opportunity ? Groan.

that's why I like the idea of a discount. if only half of Quade's contract went into the salary cap for the first 2-3 years then you shouldn't need an NRL top up. the onus is still on the clubs to find the player and the money/sponsorship etc, but the club and the code get the benefits.

strider

Post Whore
lets go and ask Bruno Cullen what he'd do - he said he'd show others how its done :thumn

i'm sure if hte broncos wanted quade they have him locked up to a nrl contract counting only $10.50 to the cap in no time

boxhead

First Grade
Honestly, he would be our halfback if we signed him. He would partner Mortimer in the halves, and they, along with Jarryd Hayne at the back, would be a premiership winning force.
With the issues in defence argument, look at what the Dragons do with Jamie Soward; every chance they get, they try to protect him even when teams run straight at him, and he also rarely takes the line on. We would need to harden up as a team in defence, and in an earlier post someone mentioned it could be like a personal bodyguard thing-like Tony Carroll running for Darren Lockyer, maybe it could be like Timana Tahu smashing anyone that got near QC?

It now seems very likely this will happen......I reckon the NRL should do this, as there are previous examples of them doing things such as this by helping clubs sign a player (i.e. Mark Gasnier's return). Obviously as a Parra fan I would be stoked about this, but I do understand why supporters of other teams would oppose this. However, when a league legend such as Brandy comes out and says it should happen, it's a clear invitation for the NRL to listen. It would be the biggest coup in player transfers ever.

TeHEel

Juniors
QC would be great at 7 for the eels, but I don't see it happening. The ARU will not let this guy get away, again our only chance would be if he had a real desire to play with us. That said could you imagine he would want to do that with the world cup so close, maybe 2012 but not 2011. I hope I am wrong, but the one positive is this won't drag out long....

parra pete

Referee
Union 5/8 is like a league halfback. First receiver who calls the shots and directs the teams attack. To make him 5/8 in league would be a bigger learning curve!

(union halfback = league hooker)

Are you sure?

He went to Sydney Grammar from years 7-12 I'm pretty sure - and they don't play league.... He was as Aus schoolboy for 2 years as well.

I was an Australian schoolboy for 11 years.....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Agree. Things would be different if we were a News Ltd club.
Yep anything goes with them, but you'd think the club could secure a big enough third party deal to bring this bloke over. He's one of the few Ruggers players that people outside of Yawnion have heard off.......

i'd be pretty angry if the NRL paid Matt Giettau (sp?) a $200k so he could switch and join the Sharks or Newcastle etc.
Ethier he takes the $500k on offer or he stays with union.
There is enough crap going on re:salary cap as it is and this could open a huge can of worms.

Bigfella

Coach
Cooper is the only special player rugby has produced since steve larkham IMO.

Is a genuine talent and a rare playmaker. Has a degree of self belief and vision that is in the elite of the elite class.

More a 6 than a 7 I would have thought, but would be an exciting asset. Would take 18 months though to make the transition?

caylo

Bench
Cooper is the only special player rugby has produced since steve larkham IMO.

Is a genuine talent and a rare playmaker. Has a degree of self belief and vision that is in the elite of the elite class.

More a 6 than a 7 I would have thought, but would be an exciting asset. Would take 18 months though to make the transition?

I think he would make a very good halfback in the Thurston mould,good kicking and passing game but have more to do with the backs then rallying the props which would mean that someone like MK or Mitchell would have to organise the forward pack. He might take 18 months to produce his best but he would still provide more then mortimer and robson combined. His kicking game is very good for a rugby player (which would be more than adequate for RL), his passing and running game is brilliant with 2m of space, imagine with teh 10meter rule. Him and Carter would be the only RU players that could make it to the top IMO

Latest posts