What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

mrpwnd

Bench
This may be a really stupid question, but what are the chances of us getting a halfback? Whether it be Kimmorley, Cooper or anyone..
It's about as high as us making the finals this year.
Whether that's good or bad is subject to interpretation:cool:

hindy111

Post Whore
i think we should send mortimer and robson to training camp over summer and prey they come good-Maybe osbourne can wave a majic wand over them : )

Avenger

Immortal
Tahu lets Cooper decide

Dual international Timana Tahu insists he's had no part to play in Parramatta's bold bid to lure former Wallabies team-mate Quade Cooper across to the NRL.
The Eels have reportedly offered the star playmaker $1.5 million over three seasons to switch codes.
The talented playmaker flew out to South Africa with the Wallabies on Friday and is not expected to announce his decision until at least the end of the Tri Nations tournament on September 11.

Tahu, who sensationally walked out on his deal with Australian Rugby Union in July 2009, played alongside Cooper with the Wallabies and is in regular contact with the 22-year-old.But he's adamant he hasn't used his friendship as leverage to convince Cooper to defect.
"I've stayed right out of it," Tahu said on Monday.

"That's up to the board and Ozzy (Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne). I don't want to get dragged into it because it's just another drama."
"I have played with him in the Wallabies and we became good friends in the Wallabies. I have talked to him before this all started and we do text a lot but we don't talk about if he's going to cross over or not. It's probably something I'd like to stay out of."
"I reckon Quade would go really good. He's got a rugby league background ... and for him to come over to rugby league I think he'd be good for the game and I think he'll be able to handle first-grade football."

Meanwhile, Tahu says sending retiring skipper Nathan Cayless out on a winning note is now Parramatta's main focus after their finals hopes all but evaporated against Wests Tigers on Sunday.The Eels are only two points outside the top eight but sit in 12th spot due to their inferior points differential and require a major miracle to make the playoffs.

"We've just got to win our next two games (against South Sydney and the Warriors) and then see what happens after that," he said.
"If we make the finals we make it which will be a bonus, and if we don't at least Nathan goes out with two more wins before his retirement."
"These next two weeks are going to be very enjoyable not only for us but for Nathan, and I think if you enjoy your football more you tend to play better."

"So I'm looking forward to these next two weeks and a lot of us will be preparing as if we're going into the finals."
"We're definitely motivated. You have to put pride in you jerseys and just seeing the crowd that turned up yesterday, they breathe football and they're very passionate about supporting our side. There's a lot of people watching out there so we've got to perform."

http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/tahu-lets-cooper-decide-97242

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
"That's up to the board and Ozzy (Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne). I don't want to get dragged into it because it's just another drama."http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/tahu-lets-cooper-decide-97242
I thought some people were saying player recruitment and retention was DA's role or responsibility?

The players (well Tahu anyway) seems to think it is Ossie and the Board's....?

DA wasn't even at that reported dinner with Quade Cooper - it was Ossie, Spags and Hayne from memory. Certainly seems like the CEO/Board are heavily involved in recruitment....

El Diablo

Post Whore
I thought some people were saying player recruitment and retention was DA's role or responsibility?

DA wasn't even at that reported dinner with Quade Cooper - it was Ossie, Spags and Hayne from memory. Certainly seems like the CEO/Board are heavily involved in recruitment....

and Ossie was behind the signing of Tahu

Stagger eel

Staff member

well it depends how you look at it, I seem to recall a board meeting a few months back where DA presented a wishlist to the board and CEO and the CEO in consultation with the coaching staff negotiated deals, this used to be a role by our football manager whilst Fitzy was here.

Skeletor

Juniors

My guess is it goes like this:
1) DA/Spags/Ossie meet and discuss potential targets. Names probably come from both sides e.g.:
DA: I think Kimmorley would work with us well. Maybe similar to JT back in 2001?
Ossie: We'll see what we can do.

Ossie: What do you think of Quade Cooper?
DA: He looks like he'd be a gun player.

I imagine a lot of back and forth goes on at these meetings, but I doubt any player gets looked at without DA's express permission.

2) Ossie/Spags go out and try and work our financial terms with said players.

True EEL

Bench
the important thing out of that Tahu article above was what he said about Cayless and respect for the jersey and respect for the fans and showing up to perform......

eel01s

Bench

On Talkin' Sport yesterday Ando was asked about us signing a half for next season. Ando's response was that Ossie is looking after that and doing the negotiating......

BTW there is a rumour floating around that the reason the Board wanted to punt Ando is because Ando wanted COMPLETE control.

strider

Post Whore
i would find it surprising if Ando wasn't at least highly involved in deciding who to go for .... but I think its fine for the others to do most of the negotiating

bartman

Immortal
BTW there is a rumour floating around that the reason the Board wanted to punt Ando is because Ando wanted COMPLETE control.
Heaven forbid the coach getting control of his recruitment and team composition! :crazy:

I just find it interesting when criticism is made of the Board or Ossie for recruitment and retention, certain people here with 3P cheerleader history jump on straight away and claim that is entirely DA's responsibility.

Gronk

Staff member
I think we have too many "know it alls" on the board. If Ando's balls are on the chopping block, then he should have 100% control.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think we have too many "know it alls" on the board. If Ando's balls are on the chopping block, then he should have 100% control.
Agreed, it's Andos career on the line. He should be the one making the decisions. And who would want to coach a team you didn't have 100% say over????

Uncle Leo

Juniors
On Talkin' Sport yesterday Ando was asked about us signing a half for next season. Ando's response was that Ossie is looking after that and doing the negotiating......

You may just be on to something there...............:shock: