What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

boxhead

First Grade
That guy is a Wallaby as well, that's reporting that?
Something is really going on here.
I'm now thinking it is a 70% chance he will sign with us; but I am 50-50 on when he will come.

Suitman

Post Whore
I love how he's been labelled as a 'star' only after talk of us signing him.
Go Parra.

Ahhm. Australian Super 14 Player of the Season. :sarcasm: The Wallabies most marketable asset this season. :sarcasm:
Don't let your ignorance get in the way of the truth.
The guy is a star around the Rugby World.

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
just as a sidenote: has Kimmorely announced his plans beyone 2010??..i have a theory that he is definitely the fallback plan if we don't get QC for next season.

I'm tipping it's BK next season and QC the year after...

Suitman

Post Whore
just as a sidenote: has Kimmorely announced his plans beyone 2010??..i have a theory that he is definitely the fallback plan if we don't get QC for next season.

That's what I've been thinking.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member

I would be very happy with that scenario.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ubles-are-a-family-affair-20100821-139v5.html

QUADE'S BILL A MILL

PARRAMATTA's offer is worth close to $1 million a year for Quade Cooper - and it includes a compensation payment of $150,000 for this year if the ARU suddenly dumps him if he chooses to head to league. The Eels have been playing down their role and the amount of wooing they have been doing behind the scenes. But the level of interest the club has shown is enormous. They have car deals and third-party sponsors lined up. On Thursday night Paul Osborne picked up Cooper from the Wallabies team hotel and gave him the grand tour of the Eels' facilities. It's my understanding that Cooper came away very impressed. Not only has Jarryd Hayne been used in the negotiation process but Timana Tahu has also had a behind-the-scenes role - a clever tactic by the Eels. It was two weeks back that we first raised the prospect of Cooper switching to rugby league, after the ARU showed him no love with its contract offer. It now appears that he will get the dollar respect he deserved before the Eels stepped in. There is no doubt that Cooper is the key to the Wallabies' hopes of making any kind of impact at next year's Rugby World Cup, and the ARU's initial offer was nothing short of an insult. He was looking at a base of less than $300,000 - that was the combined offer of the QRU and the ARU. He then asked for the kind of money that Matt Giteau is on and the ARU has had to come running. If he plays in the Test matches next year and the RWC, he can earn close to $900,000. That's the sort of money a player with his match-winning ability deserves.

he should sign with us the aru's treatment of him has been shameful trying to pick up a star player on the cheap and without the interest from us he wouldnt have got another cent out of them
if he re-signs whats the guarantee they won't try to lowball him again when his contract expires?

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
i find it bizzare that the top union players aren't guaranteed better money ... match payments is sooooo risky - everyone will get injured at some stage in their career - to lose sooo much money because of it is, well its a massive risk

i find it bizzare that the top union players aren't guaranteed better money ... match payments is sooooo risky - everyone will get injured at some stage in their career - to lose sooo much money because of it is, well its a massive risk
i agree sure they should get rep bonuses but to have it make up so much of their salary is strange

Gronk

Staff member

QC got 2 weeks recently for a bullsh*t indiscretion after a yellow card and it cost him $50k by missing those two tests. I understand the concept of performance based contracts, but the way that the ARU carry on comes across that they are bigger than the players.

Also because all players are contracted to the ARU, they effectively blocked QC from joining Western Force because they wanted the Australian clubs to be more balanced and thought that it was in the games best interest that QC styaed with the Reds. If that is not restraint of trade then I'm a monkeys uncle.

boxhead

First Grade
I think the ARU is treating him unfairly, and every day these articles are published they seem to make out a picture that it is slowly getting more likely he will come.
I say good luck to the man; whatever he does.

oldmancraigy

Coach

How do you expect the ARU to pay them all??

The windfall from the 2003 world cup has dried up, and now they can only spend the money that is coming in.

Do you honestly think the ARU is getting more money than the NRL? They now have 4 clubs of 30 players each (120 top line players) plus reserves - that's 30% of the number of players the NRL has.

The ARU gets a maximum of $27million in TV rights per year until 2015. The CURRENT NRL deal is $90 million per year which will significantly INCREASE in 2 years. Plus the corporate sponsorship is behind the NRL since it actually gets shown on FTA tv.

Union offer match payments for tests since they simply cannot afford to do it any other way.

mrpwnd

Bench
Ahhm. Australian Super 14 Player of the Season. :sarcasm: The Wallabies most marketable asset this season. :sarcasm:
Don't let your ignorance get in the way of the truth.
The guy is a star around the Rugby World.

Suity
The world? Urgh, union standards must've dropped a tonne.
He's a standout in super 14, being the better Aus player is by no means a feat compared to the whole world. We'll see how small of a fish in the pond he'll be once he starts playing against the heavyweights of union.

Avenger

Immortal
2012 more likely. I know nothing but why wouldn't he come and instantly become the highest paid player in all codes.

Djay

Juniors
This may be a really stupid question, but what are the chances of us getting a halfback? Whether it be Kimmorley, Cooper or anyone..

Latest posts