What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIFA 2022 WORLD CUP - NRL Support

BunniesMan

Immortal
It doesn't appear as though the Qatar has any railways.

There's going to be some traffic chaos getting too & from the games.
I read that Qatar could fit into Tasmania 6 times. If they can afford to build those stadiums, I'm sure they'll be able to build adequate transport, wouldn't take much to cover such a small country.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Australia's bid was a embarrassment, A cartoon kangaroo being chased by Paul Hogan with bit-part cameos from totally non-soccer related people:lol:

:lol:Idiots:lol:

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't see the big deal us missing out. We don't really deserve the World Cup really. Soccer is a minnow sport here still and there are far more deserving countries whose fans would love to see a World Cup played in their country but will never get the chance. Disappointing for Australia obviously, but hardly surprising given the game struggles to gain interest here.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
1714 fans at the last Gold Coast A league game,soccer is a disgrace here and the world cup would have done nothing to change that.

Eels Dude

Coach
Australia's bid was a embarrassment, A cartoon kangaroo being chased by Paul Hogan with bit-part cameos from totally non-soccer related people:lol:

:lol:Idiots:lol:

Haha how cheesy was it. Not to mention the rest of the world forgot who Paul Hogan was 20 years ago.

Ulysseus

Bench
1714 fans at the last Gold Coast A league game,soccer is a disgrace here and the world cup would have done nothing to change that.

As much as it pains me, I agree.
It would have sailed close to being a complete and utter failure.
We don't need that kind of sh*t right now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
not surprised the whole country only has one and half decent rectangular stadiums suitable. maybe when soccer/Rl/RU and the Govt get their act together and we have 6 or 7 40k+ modern stadiums we will be in with a shout.

ps I know they are pretty rich but can they really afford to spend 7-10 bilion $'s on new stadiums for one tournament? With the ltd number of fans who will be willing to travel there it is going to be a serious white elephant for the country.

Last edited:

chefman21

Juniors
I'm a firm believer that football would have received a huge boost in Australia if we won the bid. I don't know that it would have become number one. And I don't think it would have been the priority sport supported by someone. But I do think it would have received a huge boost.

It frustrates me that the NRL and AFL couldn't support the bid. The FFA guaranteed compensation for the period, the competitions were still going to be run out of other stadiums and the both the NRL and AFL benefit from new stadiums and new infrastructure. Especially if they invested in the bid.

Last edited:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
World Cup would have done nothing for soccer in this country,after watching some of the best players in the world you really think people will wanna go watch the hopeless bums in the A league after the Cup is finished?

A league and NBL is nothing because people don't wanna watch hopeless scrubs play.

chefman21

Juniors
World Cup would have done nothing for soccer in this country,after watching some of the best players in the world you really think people will wanna go watch the hopeless bums in the A league after the Cup is finished?

A league and NBL is nothing because people don't wanna watch hopeless scrubs play.

People will take a greater interest in the football in the lead up to the World Cup as always happens. That means revenue and possible new members.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
People will take a greater interest in the football in the lead up to the World Cup as always happens. That means revenue and possible new members.

And those people will immediately drop off after the Cup is finished and take no further interest in soccer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
true socceroos crowds have improved every time they make a world cup. Agree the impact on the Aleague would have been minimal. The impact on getting decent stadiums would have been much more long term and could only have benefitted NRL.

chefman21

Juniors
true socceroos crowds have improved every time they make a world cup. Agree the impact on the Aleague would have been minimal. The impact on getting decent stadiums would have been much more long term and could only have benefitted NRL.
Disagree about the A - League benefits but anyway....

Blacktown would have been a huge boost to rugby league in the area, especially if Penrith and the west can support a new team in 15-20 years time. Given their population boom and continued development - as well as the new Sydney CBD Parramatta - I think it would have been a golden opportunity for the NRL to invest in a stadium where they would continue to get revenues. It would not have been a bad idea to part fund with the new TV rights deal Townsville, Canberra, the SFS and or Newcastle's improvements/construction either.

Latest posts