What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifita to the ????

reanimate

Bench
"ARU says they'll only talk with rugby league player Andrew Fifita if he's willing to put rugby ahead of money"... Basically means. Are you willing to play for the love of the game as we're f**king broke... lol@Fifita. lol@Yawnion. lol@souffs!

:lol:

Classic. Way to buy into your own hype and think you're invincible. I'll bet he gets far less money than what that Bulldogs contract was worth now.

ek999

First Grade
Is it Japan or Asia in general that has some form of agreement with Pacific Nations passport holders? Thought I remembered hearing about a player that could get into that market without much issue because of their passport.

I thought it was Asian passport holders who could play in Japan no worries. That's how Wing and Omar Slaimankhel got rich deals. NFI about Pacific Nations.

shiznit

Coach
And he'll become a nobody that achieved nothing. Good for him for taking the money but rugby league doesn't need him and never will
Well... He could become a multi millionaire who could potentially play on a bigger stage world wide.

And probably do a 1/4 of the work...

First Grade
Hahahahahaha at A Fifita.

Top 14 (France) don't pay as much as you think. Apparently J Roberts and M Giteau are "only" on 480,000 euros a year. Only top top internationals make massive money in union.

480,000 euros is currently 715,000 Aussie dollars not a bad wicket

shiznit

Coach
Hahahahahaha at A Fifita.

Top 14 (France) don't pay as much as you think. Apparently J Roberts and M Giteau are "only" on 480,000 euros a year. Only top top internationals make massive money in union.
That's almost 750k Australian...

Then you take in to consideration that the majority of your deal in Australia will be taxed at 45%.

And in France there's a tax loophole where they are considered 'entertainers' and pay as little as 8-10% after 2 years.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Castle just said on the Matty Johns show the comments weren't ideal but they aren't the reason the deal is off the table. I'm guessing the 3rd party deals fell through

http://www.nrl.com/fifitas-canterbury-bulldogs-deal-collapses/tabid/10874/newsid/77254/default.aspx

Fifita's Canterbury Bulldogs deal collapses

Outspoken Cronulla prop Andrew Fifita's highly publicised $3.4 million deal to join Canterbury-Bankstown is over before it began, with the Bulldogs confirming the Australian Test star won't be joining their ranks from 2015.

The announcement comes barely 72 hours after Fifita controversially declared he wished he had signed with rugby union rather than changed NRL clubs - and that he could see himself returning to Cronulla when his new deal with the blue and whites ended at the end of 2018.

"If I could go back now, I wish I chose rugby and then I wouldn't be getting all the s*** I've been catching now," Fifita told AAP last Friday.

In an astonishingly candid interview, Fifita said a return to rugby union - which he played growing up and as a schoolboy - was inevitable.

"I've pretty much got everything in rugby league except a premiership and that's all I really want, and to win an Origin series," he said.

He continued: "[My] heart's still in Cronulla... I may end up back here in four years' time."

It's not known how those comments went down with the playing and coaching staff at Canterbury although a four-paragraph statement released by the Bulldogs on Monday confirmed the move was off - with a disagreement over the final terms of his new contract cited as the trigger.

"After signing a Memorandum of Understanding with Andrew we?ve not been able to agree on the final terms of his NRL Playing Contract and have ceased negotiations with his management," said Bulldogs Chief Executive Raelene Castle.

Fifita was said to be disappointed at the collapse of the deal, according to his management group I.am Athlete Management.

His deal with the Bulldogs would have made him the highest-paid front rower in the history of the game.

The Sharks released a statement saying the sudden development would be "confusing and disappointing for Andrew".

"The Sharks have been made aware of the latest developments relating to Andrew Fifita and his proposed 2015-2018 NRL Playing Contract with the Bulldogs," the statement said.

"No doubt this situation will be confusing and disappointing for Andrew and the Sharks as a club have an obligation to assist him and his family to manage this issue.

"After further review of the situation and until speaking with his Andrew and his management the Sharks are not in a position to make further comment."
......................................................................................................

I hope the Dogs aren't gonna chase Tedesco now, he's ours!
I think he's going to get his wish and return to union. Happy days for Rugby League.

Latest posts