What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifita to the ????

In all seriousness, we know what the Dogs are like when it comes to recruitment and we know that Des is a smart operator. If he signs Fifita then that will be a big indicator that the Dogs squad will be about to go through another major shake up.

We've seen it before a few years back when they liquidated half their squad and bought every good player on the market at the time.

They've also shown that they aren't too shy about approaching contracted players so anything can and probably will happen at Belmore this year, leading into next.

man2iel_

Juniors
In all seriousness, we know what the Dogs are like when it comes to recruitment and we know that Des is a smart operator. If he signs Fifita then that will be a big indicator that the Dogs squad will be about to go through another major shake up.

We've seen it before a few years back when they liquidated half their squad and bought every good player on the market at the time.

They've also shown that they aren't too shy about approaching contracted players so anything can and probably will happen at Belmore this year, leading into next.

Exactly what I am saying. There are dominoes to fall here. Hasler is an excellent coach and has a plan. This is step one. Canterbury fans are lucky to have Desmond on board as I think he is the best in the business.

BennyV

Referee
In 2012 Grand Final, Dogs went into the game on the back of a huge forward pack and not a lot in the halves or outside backs. Melbourne showed everyone how to destroy that game plan.

Dessies answer?! MAKE A BIGGER FORWARD PACK!

It's not just the idea of signing another prop on top of what they already have. The also the notion of paying $800k for him when you already have Kasiano, Pritchard, Graham, Tolman, Klemmer, etc.

I mean sure, he is one of the most destructive forwards in the world. But so was Tony Williams right before he left for Belmore...

aqua_duck

Coach
I totally don't get it, Tolman and Kasiano only recently re-signed, Klemmer re-signed on a pretty decent contract as far as I know, that's not even bringing Graham into the equation.
They also have a heap of back rowers.

POPEYE

Coach
Crikey, I was looking forward to Fifita becoming as influential on the paddock as Artie was. Looks like I'll be going from keen interest to not giving a shit . . . rather see him a rah rah than a dog

Maybe Dessie is going to organise a swap with Parra.

They can have Tony Williams back in exchange for Chris Sandow...

Hard to work out who would be worse off in that kind of arrangement.

At least the Dogs would get a rebate on Sandows contract money via the pokies in the leagues club.

Bulldog Force

Referee
If Fifta comes to Belmore, Graham and another player who's contract is up will also more than likely go with him. Hokko is off contract this year I believe and the Bulldogs won't be re-signing him for the same money they originally bought him on from Manly... so unless he's willing to take a paycut, he'll go.

Bulldog Force

Referee

There will be a shakeup but I doubt it will be as big as it was in 2008/09 - that was pretty much a way to get rid of the dead wood when Folkes left and Moore came in.

BranVan3000

Coach
In 2012 Grand Final, Dogs went into the game on the back of a huge forward pack and not a lot in the halves or outside backs. Melbourne showed everyone how to destroy that game plan.

It's not just the idea of signing another prop on top of what they already have. The also the notion of paying $800k for him when you already have Kasiano, Pritchard, Graham, Tolman, Klemmer, etc.

I mean sure, he is one of the most destructive forwards in the world. But so was Tony Williams right before he left for Belmore...

Seriously Des had success with a gimmick while teams still figured out how to adapt to it. He needs to let it go

aqua_duck

Coach
He's improving slowly. He wouldn't have scored that try against Brisbane on Friday night if he was in last years form. He still has a lot of work to do though..

c'mon he ran through a one on one tackle against a bloke he probably outweighs by 35kg who isn't use to defending in the line from about 3m out, if he can't score into that situation than he should give it up. You make out as if he ran over 3 blokes from 40m out

To be honest, I don't think he was even that good for Manly.

ek999

First Grade
c'mon he ran through a one on one tackle against a bloke he probably outweighs by 35kg who isn't use to defending in the line from about 3m out, if he can't score into that situation than he should give it up. You make out as if he ran over 3 blokes from 40m out

The thing about that try was we actually showed some sort of depth in attck and he built up speed. If you look at the replay he started his run from about 15m out and didn't get the ball until he was 5m out. If we can get that sort of structure happening in attack with him anywhere on the field he will be destructive again.

The thing about that try was we actually showed some sort of depth in attck and he built up speed. If you look at the replay he started his run from about 15m out and didn't get the ball until he was 5m out. If we can get that sort of structure happening in attack with him anywhere on the field he will be destructive again.

You need to watch a wide shot of that try though EK. When you do, its very clear that the only reason T-Rex started to run that early was that a fan was leaning over the fence with a pie in each hand, and T-Rex wanted a piece of that action.

Bulldog Force

Referee
There was one play he made last year set up a try... I think against the Panthers where he got through about 3-4 defenders then offloaded. He needs to get back into that routine.

ek999

First Grade
You need to watch a wide shot of that try though EK. When you do, its very clear that the only reason T-Rex started to run that early was that a fan was leaning over the fence with a pie in each hand, and T-Rex wanted a piece of that action.

:lol:

You wait until Kasiano is back. We'll chuck a pie stand behind the opposition tryline each week and both will be unstoppable forces

So, in summary.

Fifita and Hiku in.

Kasiano, Tolman, Pritchard, Williams and Graham all a slight possibility to go.

Hodkinson and Ennis almost definitely gone.

Sounds like the cleanout is on in earnest.