What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifita

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
There's quite a lot you can do with recovery software if you really want.

But this bloke won't hand over his phone - he's a cop, surely he isn't that stupid.

Yeah but he also claims he was intimidated by Fifita saying whatever it was he said.

He's full of shit. Hand the phone over you pleb

SharkShocked

Bench
Andrew was a spectator, David is/was a trainer.

This was also my understanding. But the Wiedler interview referenced both David and Andrew in an official capacity, that's why i was confused.

I'm going to have to see if i recorded it at home - because i could swear he said David the trainer and then Andrew assistant something.

Card Shark

Immortal
I love you passion, but there is no way in hell these guys should or will cop more of a punishment than Klemmer and Graham.

You've changed your tune from the original "rest of season".

Things must be looking up & common sense prevailing.

cb4

First Grade
You've changed your tune from the original "rest of season".

Things must be looking up & common sense prevailing.

My rest of the season came from the PDJRLC telling the Sharks that they incriminating footage of Andrew Fifita threatening to smash a referee. What 24 year old uses the word smash in a threat anyway?

But whatever, they were adamant the video existed, and, I have no doubt it did. I have no doubt that the referee recorded the incident.
But I bet he didn't look at it straight away.

I have no doubt that he has then watched the footage and seen there was no threat, and probably minimal language.
You have 2 options then.

Delete it and say I forgot to press record.

Or

Admit there was nothing in it.

This is where this guy's credibility has taken a hit.

And he is a training riot cop? I'm sorry, and I am not being racist, but if he was intimidated by 2 Aboriginals swearing at him, he probably wouldn't hold up on Evelyn street any time soon.

I do however, stand by my original statement that they should have been stood down from the Dogs game. Had we done that, we probably would have had a smoother resolution.

cb4

First Grade
This was also my understanding. But the Wiedler interview referenced both David and Andrew in an official capacity, that's why i was confused.

I'm going to have to see if i recorded it at home - because i could swear he said David the trainer and then Andrew assistant something.

Makes no difference if he was Assistant coach or trainer, he is not permitted to enter the playing field at full time.

From my understanding, neither of them are qualified or registered to be trainers or coaches.

SharkShocked

Bench
My rest of the season came from the PDJRLC telling the Sharks that they incriminating footage of Andrew Fifita threatening to smash a referee. What 24 year old uses the word smash in a threat anyway?

But whatever, they were adamant the video existed, and, I have no doubt it did. I have no doubt that the referee recorded the incident.
But I bet he didn't look at it straight away.

I have no doubt that he has then watched the footage and seen there was no threat, and probably minimal language.
You have 2 options then.

Delete it and say I forgot to press record.

Or

Admit there was nothing in it.

This is where this guy's credibility has taken a hit.

And he is a training riot cop? I'm sorry, and I am not being racist, but if he was intimidated by 2 Aboriginals swearing at him, he probably wouldn't hold up on Evelyn street any time soon.

I do however, stand by my original statement that they should have been stood down from the Dogs game. Had we done that, we probably would have had a smoother resolution.

Exactly my feelings and i'm surprised it hasn't got more air time until now with the lawyers demanding it.

What 24 year old doesn't know how to hit record on their phone, particularly one who defended his stance of recording in a public place.

f**king laughable.

aussie7798

First Grade
ffs it does not matter that he is a police officer I seriously doubt the fifitas had any idea he was a cop

maybe we could arm the refs with guns tasers and riot shield because that's what they carry in riot situations as well as having numerous other police officers in attendance

the fact that he is a police officer with riot squad training means nothing in this situation

SharkShocked

Bench
Actually aussie that's not entirely correct.

Your average individual that works stacking shelves in woolies, i would not expect to have great skills in defusing situations that are heated or inflamed.

However a police officer, i would most certainly expect to have some sort of nous in negating tricky arguments, not escalate them.

aussie7798

First Grade
Actually aussie that's not entirely correct.

Your average individual that works stacking shelves in woolies, i would not expect to have great skills in defusing situations that are heated or inflamed.

However a police officer, i would most certainly expect to have some sort of nous in negating tricky arguments, not escalate them.

people are attacking me for saying I don't know the facts yet no one seems to have any problem saying that the ref inflamed the situation

SharkShocked

Bench
Well you've already had witnesses make those claims on radio, so it's not particularly difficult to comment on the subject.

Not to mention that some of us here have officiated games of different sports at different levels and can digest what has happened and make comment on whether or not they would have acted the same.

I can tell you now that pulling out a phone to record someone if they were indeed abusing me is probably the last thing i would do short of telling the person to get f**ked if i wanted to calm the situation down.

Card Shark

Immortal
I do however, stand by my original statement that they should have been stood down from the Dogs game. Had we done that, we probably would have had a smoother resolution

Not so sure about that.

The press would be saying he's admitted guilt - 12 month bans from NRL or something outlandish.

Surely

Post Whore
ffs it does not matter that he is a police officer I seriously doubt the fifitas had any idea he was a cop

maybe we could arm the refs with guns tasers and riot shield because that's what they carry in riot situations as well as having numerous other police officers in attendance

the fact that he is a police officer with riot squad training means nothing in this situation

Well no, this guy wouldn't know how to fire the taser.

cb4

First Grade

It doesn't matter that he is a cop, I agree.

But he made it clear he was after the event through the media. They released details of him being a police officer.

These guys are highly skilled, and deal with people recording them in situations all the time. I rarely use social media, but on the off chance I do, there is a vine on twitter about police brutality, or 8 minute long video's on facey ect.

If this guy whipped his phone out, do you really think he forgot to hit record? Really? No chance.
He hit record, that's why he told people he had the footage of it. That's why the PDJRL advised the media there was footage. That's why the Fifita's were pronounced guilty before hearing.

But the footage doesn't exist.

Weaponhead

Coach
Standard lawyer move to smoke out the video evidence. One it is established that it doesn't exist it will come down to a battle of the witness statements. These will be conflicting and provide a level of mitigation for the Fifita's.

The politics of the situation will ensure a significant penalty but the cub's focus has to be reducing the number of weeks suspension.

The lack of investigative skills of the standard league journo continues to not surprise. Once Fifita has his say it might calm down some of the frothing but i wouldn't expect it.

As John Lang said, 'the Sharks have no money and no influence'.

cb4

First Grade
Not so sure about that.

The press would be saying he's admitted guilt - 12 month bans from NRL or something outlandish.

Not at all.

The press hammered us for not standing him down when there was a complaint against him. As I said, Gorman was about to, Flanno said no.

Card Shark

Immortal
The fact that the ref said there was video evidence but there is not, straight away reduces his story's credibility.

Card Shark

Immortal
Not at all.

The press hammered us for not standing him down when there was a complaint against him. As I said, Gorman was about to, Flanno said no.

I guess what I was trying to say is they'd come up with something else to hammer us about.

millersnose

Post Whore
Standard lawyer move to smoke out the video evidence. One it is established that it doesn't exist it will come down to a battle of the witness statements. These will be conflicting and provide a level of mitigation for the Fifita's.

The politics of the situation will ensure a significant penalty but the cub's focus has to be reducing the number of weeks suspension.

The lack of investigative skills of the standard league journo continues to not surprise. Once Fifita has his say it might calm down some of the frothing but i wouldn't expect it.

As John Lang said, 'the Sharks have no money and no influence'.

yep

in a nutshell
the only thing left is the definition of 'significant'

Latest posts