What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbo

Staff member
If capacity is their issue (Bruce tops out at 26,000) it is possible with a weeks notice to bring in temporary stands at either end to increase the capacity. The Brumbies did it serveral years ago when they hosted the Super Rugby final.

That would give us a higher theoretical capacity than Townsville and an on-par one with Melbourne.

It's a stupid decision, but we've been getting butt f**ked by the NRL for years so why stop now?

Timbo

Staff member
I seem to remember a Radiers V Warriors week 2 final getting a crowd of 31K at the SFS. That was a bloody good crowd, great game too. I'm assuming there were lots of Warriors fans.

That was when Eric Watson bought 20,000 tickets and gave them for free to anyone with a New Zealand passport. So it's a bit of a false indicator.

did the same thing with sharks vs warriors prelim"

its dumb for Canberra. and Newcastle. but yeah

as for sharkpark etc, they aren't finals venues. IMO

shaggs

Coach
Finals should be played at Suncorp, ANZ or Allianz. That's it.

No Melbourne, Townsville Gold Coast Canberra etc

yobbo84

Coach
They had Souths Friday night final pencilled in about 8 weeks out from the final. I know this because I contacted the NRL about a potential clash with ANZ maybe being booked by the Swans for a finals game on the Saturday of our week 1 finals, and was told at that time that they had "something special" lined up for that outcome already (obviously the double header).

- over 30% more penalties awarded than any other team in league history
- Taking no action until after the season on Auva despite a guilty domestic violence verdict
- Countless sweetheart deals at the judiciary for the sparkly eyed man and others
- Turning ANZ into a home game with the stupid bell and Souths theme song blaring for the GF
- Allowing Burgess to stay on the field despite a very clear and obvious concussion in the opening tackle of the GF

I'm sure others could add more

They didn't rig games, but they desperately wanted the fairytale to come off after multiple chokes in the previous 2 seasons.

If you don't actually think sports organisations are capable of and have applied favouritism based what's best for their coffers then your are truly naive. It happens in all sports leagues around the world.

This is brilliant, please keep going.

skeepe

Immortal
At the end of the day, 13/16 teams, if they win the right to host a prelim, get to host it in their home city.

Why should the other 3 teams not get a benefit that everyone else gets?

Timbo

Staff member
At the end of the day, 13/16 teams, if they win the right to host a prelim, get to host it in their home city.

Because the NRL gives no f**ks about us, Newcastle or the Gold Coast.

dogslife

Coach
Finals should be played at Suncorp, ANZ or Allianz. That's it.

No Melbourne, Townsville Gold Coast Canberra etc
AAMI park and whatever the Gold Coast stadium is called now are much better venues than ANZ or Allianz

Lambretta

First Grade
AAMI park and whatever the Gold Coast stadium is called now are much better venues than ANZ or Allianz

The Gold Coast stadium better than Allianz? Seriously? What do you base that on?
There is a great view regardless of where you sit at Allianz - it's a fantastic stadium and I cannot understand the constant knocking. Seriously - there are a million things to gripe about before the quality of Allianz comes into question

Valheru

Coach

Because they aren't deemed to have a big enough stadium in their home city. I am not sure what you don't understand about this concept.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Because they aren't deemed to have a big enough stadium in their home city. I am not sure what you don't understand about this concept.

Canberra’s capacity isn’t much different to Townsville, Auckland & Melbourne who get home prelims. Newcastle holds even more.

Saint Doc

Coach
Canberra should be able to host. No doubt

What are the ideal finals match ups (realistically) from a crowd point of view?

AC9FDFEB-57C7-4386-AC8C-EC04014EBE29.jpeg

I'd say

1v4 Storm vs Cowboys
2v3 Sharks vs Raiders
5v8 Bulldogs vs (Panthers/Tigers/Warriors)
6v7 Broncos vs Titans

adamkungl

Immortal
The criteria is a mess.
Canberra and Newcastle are refused because they have smaller stadiums.
Cowboys are allowed because of some undefined notion of Townsville being "too far away" despite the stadium being basically equal to what other regional clubs have.
Melbourne and Auckland play at stadiums the same size as Canberra and Newcastle despite having 50k+ stadiums available, while Cronulla, Manly and Penrith are forced across town because we need to play games at big stadiums.

Makes sense.

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm not really sure what the NRL gains by forcing Newcastle or Canberra to play in Sydney. A 30K crowd in Newcastle or Canberra is better than a 20-30K crowd at Allianz stadium (I guess it could be more or less than that depending on the opponent).

If anything finals home matches (especially prelims) are a fantastic chance to build a teams home fan base. If Canberra play a home prelim in Sydney and pull 30K there is little gained for the club or the game. A packed out Bruce stadium would be fantastic for the local game in Canberra. It would also look amazing on tv and have an incredible atmosphere. It's a no brainet really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts