What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambretta

First Grade
The Worlds largest stadium is the May Day Stadium in Pyongyang, North Korea
It holds 150,000 people - we should play all our finals matches there

If Kim Jong Il won't play ball and err allow us to play ball, then the Beaver Stadium in Pennsylvania holds over 106,000

Michigan Stadium holds more than Beaver Stadium, but fails to win as it will be more enjoyable fitting 106,000 in Pennsylvania's Beaver imo.

Valheru

Coach
Canberra’s capacity isn’t much different to Townsville, Auckland & Melbourne who get home prelims. Newcastle holds even more.

Don't the warriors have to play a prelim at Eden? If not, they should and Melbourne should be forced to Etihad.

I get what you guys are saying and it should be a set capacity criteria. Townsville I think should be the only exception given how far they are from Brisbane.

adamkungl

Immortal
Should be
Week 1: Club home ground, no restrictions. Let the fans have it.
Week 2: Home city, 25k minimum.
Week 3: Home state, 40k minimum.

Currently its more like
Week 1: Home city, 25k minimum.
Week 2: Home city, 25k minimum.
Week 3: Home state, 40k minimum unless you're the Cowboys or Melbourne or NZ for reasons or Canberra who are a NSW team just for this week.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I just find it hilarious this is only an issue now instead of in 2012 when it was first introduced.

RL fans are great at ignoring long-standing rules and criteria things until they affect their team or a team they're keen to bandwagon.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I just find it hilarious this is only an issue now instead of in 2012 when it was first introduced.

RL fans are great at ignoring long-standing rules and criteria things until they affect their team or a team they're keen to bandwagon.

2012 = Long standing rule lol

We had just finished second last when the new system was introduced (and the Titans last), we probably weren’t thinking what would happen if we made the Top 4.

adamkungl

Immortal
lol Tim of all people calling bias. Ok mate.

People bitch about this (one way or the other) every year. A couple of years ago it was the NRL forcing the Sharks into curtain raising a double header at the SFS.
Obviously no ones complained about Canberra having to play in Sydney since 2012 because Canberra hasn't been top 4 in that time.

lol Tim of all people calling bias. Ok mate.

People bitch about this (one way or the other) every year. A couple of years ago it was the NRL forcing the Sharks into curtain raising a double header at the SFS.
Obviously no ones complained about Canberra having to play in Sydney since 2012 because Canberra hasn't been top 4 in that time.

Yes but the issue for Canberra only applies in Week 3 if they won their game in week 1. If not, it is moot as they aren't the "home" team.

I will agree though it does seem anomalous in relation to Canberra in Week 3 having to play a "home" region final in Sydney.

Timmah

Staff member
First Canberra have to make the top four - then they have to win a semi against one of the top four teams away from home. It's far from a done deal they'll even be hosting a Week 3 final.

Raiderdave

First Grade
First Canberra have to make the top four - then they have to win a semi against one of the top four teams away from home. It's far from a done deal they'll even be hosting a Week 3 final.

The potential is there though for the NRL to completely embarrass itself with this stupid illogical policy.
I think that's the point here

Timmah

Staff member
Embarrass how though? A whole bunch of combinations and permutations need to happen before we get to that point - and even then the Raiders still drew decent finals crowds in Sydney during the 90s. I feel they'll be the annual bandwagon follow too so that would help

Valheru

Coach
I think where people are going wrong is this perceived entitlement to a home final of any description. As we all know, the NRL runs and markets the finals system and locations are at their discretion with the set guidelines of who hosts and where, as per this discussion.

In reality it is completely up to them where games are played and they can force clubs to choose certain venues within the options as was evidenced in 2013-2015 when the roosters were told in no uncertain terms that a ‘home’ prelim against souths or the dogs (I am sure Parra, Wests and maybe even St George would apply as well) would be played at ANZ.

Canberra are at least getting an opportunity in weeks 1 and 2 that isn’t afforded to the likes of Manly, Cronulla. Parramatta and Penrith in that they get to play at their actual home ground in those weeks. A prelim final is a premier event and has no business being played in Canberra with the current venue they have.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
A prelim final is a premier event and has no business being played in Canberra with the current venue they have.

Apart from capacity (which is similar to Townsville, Melbourne and NZ), what’s wrong with Canberra Stadium? It’s hosted Super Rugby Finals, Olympic Soccer and both Union and League Test Matches. It’s not some second rate suburban ground.

as was evidenced in 2013-2015 when the roosters were told in no uncertain terms that a ‘home’ prelim against souths or the dogs (I am sure Parra, Wests and maybe even St George would apply as well) would be played at ANZ.

That must have been devastating....

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
The Gold Coast stadium better than Allianz? Seriously? What do you base that on?
There is a great view regardless of where you sit at Allianz - it's a fantastic stadium and I cannot understand the constant knocking. Seriously - there are a million things to gripe about before the quality of Allianz comes into question
- Lack of reasonable undercover seating
- Access often difficult
- 30 year old infrastructure

Raiderdave

First Grade
Embarrass how though? A whole bunch of combinations and permutations need to happen before we get to that point - and even then the Raiders still drew decent finals crowds in Sydney during the 90s. I feel they'll be the annual bandwagon follow too so that would help

Hence the word potential.
The 90s was a very different time under a different organisation , the NSWRL.
This is supposed to be the NRL ... Why anyone would think Canberra is part of the Sydney region is beyond comprehension.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I think where people are going wrong is this perceived entitlement to a home final of any description. As we all know, the NRL runs and markets the finals system and locations are at their discretion with the set guidelines of who hosts and where, as per this discussion.

In reality it is completely up to them where games are played and they can force clubs to choose certain venues within the options as was evidenced in 2013-2015 when the roosters were told in no uncertain terms that a ‘home’ prelim against souths or the dogs (I am sure Parra, Wests and maybe even St George would apply as well) would be played at ANZ.

Canberra are at least getting an opportunity in weeks 1 and 2 that isn’t afforded to the likes of Manly, Cronulla. Parramatta and Penrith in that they get to play at their actual home ground in those weeks. A prelim final is a premier event and has no business being played in Canberra with the current venue they have.
Again
All Sydney sides hosting finals get to play them in Sydney their home city
Canberra does not get that same privilege.
It's unfair & unreasonable.

Card Shark

Immortal
Again

Are you forgetting weeks 1 & 2?

I said it before & I'll say it again, I'm sympathetic to Canberra's situation & they should be able to host a game in week 3 if it works out that way but you turn a blind eye to every other teams disadvantages, which there are a few.

Any relation to Skeepe?

Valheru

Coach
Apart from capacity (which is similar to Townsville, Melbourne and NZ), what’s wrong with Canberra Stadium? It’s hosted Super Rugby Finals, Olympic Soccer and both Union and League Test Matches. It’s not some second rate suburban ground.

The capacity is the issue. Build a 40k+ venue and then they can host all the prelims they want.

Again

Because the stadium isn't deemed good enough for a GF qualifier. I agree that Townsville, AAMI and Mt Smart shouldn't either.

TheFrog

Coach
Cough
1300 smiles stadium

Cough
Canberra is 300km from Sydney.
Townsville is 1400km from Brisbane.

Again

It was on this understanding that the Raiders entered the comp all those years ago. Bit like moving in next to Luna Park and then complaining about the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.