What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The Bulldogs are completely f**king irrelevant to this discussion. Once upon a time finals were all centralised, controlled by the NSWRL/ARL/SL/NRL. They're still controlled by the NRL now.

As for your other complaints - whilstever the NRL has to pander to

- networks requests
- stadia availability
- club requests

The schedule/draw will never be even or fair. Ever.

It's the NRL's decision where finals are played. Teams are not 'entitled' to them, the NRL is entitled to dictate where they're played.

It really is that simple.
Then they need to realise there's an opportunity here to right an obvious wrong.

Every other team in the 8 benefits from the Raiders being forced to travel for a week 3 final they have earned the right to host.
How is that even being contemplated?

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If the Bulldogs were in the raiders shoes you'd change your tune.

They deserve a game down there
If they come above the Cowboys and the Cowboys get one .
It is embarrassing .

Worst run sporting competition in Australia .
The Cowboys are literally a FULL DAY'S drive from the nearest capital city.

Canberra can be reached by road within a few hours.

How people can't see the difference has me confused.

Timmah

Staff member
Every other team in the 8 benefits from the Raiders being forced to travel for a week 3 final they have earned the right to host.
That part in bold is where you have it wrong. Finals venues are fully at the NRL's discretion.

carcharias

Immortal
Of course they aren't. No matter where they finish there's more than a good chance they'd play a prelim at their home ground.
Sharks could play them at thei

so f**king what?
That shouldn't matter
You can fly from Townsville to Sydney
Quicker than you can drive from Canberra to Sydney anyway.
Which is how 99.9% of people would do it.

Billythekid

First Grade

It's still 3-4 hours of driving each way at least when factoring in Sydney traffic. That plus Canberra are from a whole other state.

What do the NRL gain from it anyway? With the extra stands the raiders can get 28-29K anyway which is as much or more than they would get in Sydney. Difference is that if they play it in Canberra it's great for the local area. If you play it in Sydney it achieves f*ck all.

It also might give a little more incentive for a new rectangular ground to finally be built in Canberra.

I just don't understand why anyone would want Canberra to play their home final in Sydney.

skeepe

Immortal
That part in bold is where you have it wrong. Finals venues are fully at the NRL's discretion.

So you're saying if the Bulldogs finish top 4 and win in week one, and the Broncos win through to be their opponent, you'd be quite happy for the NRL to decide the match would get a bigger crowd at Suncorp and shift it up there?

Somehow I think you'd be singing a different tune.

Timmah

Staff member
so f**king what?
That shouldn't matter
You can fly from Townsville to Sydney
Quicker than you can drive from Canberra to Sydney anyway.
Which is how 99.9% of people would do it.
You can fly from Canberra to Sydney quicker than you can Townsville to Sydney too :joy::joy:
What do the NRL gain from it anyway? With the extra stands the raiders can get 28-29K anyway which is as much or more than they would get in Sydney. Difference is that if they play it in Canberra it's great for the local area. If you play it in Sydney it achieves f*ck all.
Speculative at best. What if it rains in Canberra on the day? The stadium is arguably the least protected in the comp (aside from maybe Townsville)

So you're saying if the Bulldogs finish top 4 and win in week one, and the Broncos win through to be their opponent, you'd be quite happy for the NRL to decide the match would get a bigger crowd at Suncorp and shift it up there?

Somehow I think you'd be singing a different tune.
You've said some stupid shit on these forums but that might just top the lot :joy:

Raiderdave

First Grade

How people can't see the ... home region.. policy is completely ridiculous & unfairly disadvantages a few clubs confuses me too

Canberra is not in Sydney's home region
All clubs should be able to host finals in their home city if they've earned the right to do so.

Raiderdave

First Grade
You can fly from Canberra to Sydney quicker than you can Townsville to Sydney too :joy::joy:

Speculative at best. What if it rains in Canberra on the day? The stadium is arguably the least protected in the comp (aside from maybe Townsville)

You've said some stupid shit on these forums but that might just top the lot :joy:

Well the Raiders have to put up with that scenario if it occurs
The question is why ?
There is no valid reason , I've seen

Venue.. nope
Feasibility... nope

And your effort

Well
Because the NRL says so .... Lol
Seriously FFS ??

Raiderdave

First Grade
No
That's where I have it right

And the NRL has it wrong.
In any sane system you earn a final at home by finishing higher then your opponents & winning.
But not in the NRL apparently.
For a select few clubs based on geography it's different just because they say so.
It's ridiculous.

Billythekid

First Grade

You call that speculation and then bring up the random chance of rain. Let's face it, no matter where the game is played rain would ruin the crowd. You can't base your decision around that.

Also what makes you think that the crowd would hold up better in Sydney? I dare say that raiders fans in Canberra who have waited 20 years to see their team in a prelim are more likely to show up in the rain than the casual fan in Sydney.

unforgiven

Bench
I think you want to be using the Cowboys in this argument, that dilapidated shithole up north gets to hold one.

No reason why Canberra should be disallowed when their stadium has the same capacity.

There are no better grounds that are easily accessible from Townsville, unlike Newcastle and Canberra that have better grounds a couple of hours down the road.

Card Shark

Immortal
Yes they are a couple of hours down the road but what about the supporter that goes to home games that are already a couple of hrs down the road.

With regional teams, supporters are already spread far & wide.

There is no real difference between Townsville, Newcastle & Canberra but 1 team is treated differently...why?

Card Shark

Immortal
& why should the supporters of teams that have earned the right to host a game have to travel so far to see their team play...their support could reduce by 50%+, how's that fair!

unforgiven

Bench
& why should the supporters of teams that have earned the right to host a game have to travel so far to see their team play...their support could reduce by 50%+, how's that fair!

That really is the point of the debate, under the NRL rules they haven't earnt that right

Timmah

Staff member
You call that speculation and then bring up the random chance of rain. Let's face it, no matter where the game is played rain would ruin the crowd. You can't base your decision around that.
Errr, I brought up rain to highlight the fact YOU were speculating. How did you miss that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts