What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

unforgiven

Bench
Yes they are a couple of hours down the road but what about the supporter that goes to home games that are already a couple of hrs down the road.

With regional teams, supporters are already spread far & wide.

There is no real difference between Townsville, Newcastle & Canberra but 1 team is treated differently...why?
About 1000km difference is why.

unforgiven

Bench
About 1000km, so what - it's travelling.

For one, to get from Canberra/Newcastle to Sydney, I can hire a mini bus and drive 10 friends for about $30 a head. The team will organise a bus with a similar deal. I can drive it in about 3 hrs. All of which allow me to return home after the game.

Now to get from Townsville to Brisbane, I either drive or bus 15 hrs or pay at least $200 to fly down. Both of which I will also need to find a hotel to stay in for the night.

But yeah you are right they are both travelling. You are either really really dumb or you are just purposefully choosing to argue stupid points. I'm not sure which one it is.

Billythekid

First Grade
But why do we want teams from Newcastle and Canberra playing in Sydney anyway? Canberra is in a whole other state. Newcastle had a stadium with a 33K capacity, unless they're facing a big sydney club they won't be drawing more than that to a prelim in Sydney.

Again what does he NRL get out of it? They likely will get a similar if not smaller crowd. A packed out prelim in Newcastle or canberra would be fantastic for the local game. Them playing a prelim in Sydney shutting out most of the fans of the team does so much less. It's just one more game in Sydney on top of the 100s of others. Not to mention that Sydney gets plenty of chances to see a prelim final. For Canberra or Newcastle it could be 10 or 20 years between drinks.

Edit: also whilst this conversation has steered entirely towards north Queensland it seems to ignore that Aami park and mt smart can host prelims.

unforgiven

Bench
But why do we want teams from Newcastle and Canberra playing in Sydney anyway? Canberra is in a whole other state. Newcastle had a stadium with a 33K capacity, unless they're facing a big sydney club they won't be drawing more than that to a prelim in Sydney.

Again what does he NRL get out of it? They likely will get a similar if not smaller crowd. A packed out prelim in Newcastle or canberra would be fantastic for the local game. Them playing a prelim in Sydney shutting out most of the fans of the team does so much less. It's just one more game in Sydney on top of the 100s of others. Not to mention that Sydney gets plenty of chances to see a prelim final. For Canberra or Newcastle it could be 10 or 20 years between drinks.

Edit: also whilst this conversation has steered entirely towards north Queensland it seems to ignore that Aami park and mt smart can host prelims.

These are NRL controlled fixtures, my guess is the corporate $ is bigger for the games in Sydney compared to the smaller markets and less attractive stadiums in Canberra and Newcastle.

Now onto the AAMI and Mount Smart argument, I would say with AAMI part of the agreement to build it may have included the fact that it be allowed to host prelims, possibly they consider the other options in Melbourne to be less desirable as well considering AAMI is rectangular.

Mt Smart I have no idea, but it's in NZ so maybe they just don't care.

Raiderdave

First Grade
These are NRL controlled fixtures, my guess is the corporate $ is bigger for the games in Sydney compared to the smaller markets and less attractive stadiums in Canberra and Newcastle.

Well play no finals in Canberra , Newcastle or the gold coast & be done with it.

I mean
A prelim between the Raiders & Cowboys at Allianz would have the corporates just lining up wouldn't it

Again.
Wot utter rubbish !!

unforgiven

Bench
Well play no finals in Canberra , Newcastle or the gold coast & be done with it.

I mean
A prelim between the Raiders & Cowboys at Allianz would have the corporates just lining up wouldn't it

Again.
Wot utter rubbish !!
You know that a Prelim is at a completely different level than a week 1 or 2 finals game. Come on there are the 2nd biggest games of the NRL season. Canberra isn't right for these games.
These games do draw the corporates though. Get a new stadium and maybe your city can host a game of this level. Its unfortunate for the Raiders but thats the setup at the moment. If Canberra win week 1 I will drive down and pick you up for the game.

unforgiven

Bench
I don't see equality for non-sydney teams as arguing a stupid point, so you got me, I'm dumb.
But you guys arn't just arguing the equality for non Sydney teams. You are arguing there is no difference between Canberra having to play in Sydney and the Cowboys having to play in Brisbane. That is a stupid arguement mate.

Card Shark

Immortal
But you guys arn't just arguing the equality for non Sydney teams. You are arguing there is no difference between Canberra having to play in Sydney and the Cowboys having to play in Brisbane. That is a stupid arguement mate.

For the first 3 weeks of finals, if they've earned a home final:
Cowboys should be able to play in Townsville, Raiders should be able to play in Canberra & Knights should be able to play in Newcastle.

That is what I believe, can't speak for others.

unforgiven

Bench
For the first 3 weeks of finals, if they've earned a home final:
Cowboys should be able to play in Townsville, Raiders should be able to play in Canberra & Knights should be able to play in Newcastle.

That is what I believe, can't speak for others.

But YOU have argued stupid points to get people to agree with you. I do not think Canberra has an appropriate stadium to host a game of the level of a Prelim. These should be the stadiums that sell our game best when full. I agree that Townsville doesnt have an appropriate stadium either but there is no option as they really are a 1000km from any other option.

The amount of corporate tickets that the NRL releases for these games is huge. Ive attended these games on corporate tickets a number of times. This makes the regional games much less attractive. Unluckily for Canberra and luckily for Townsville, Canberra has another option less than 3 hrs down the road, Townsville doesnt.

Card Shark

Immortal
Argued stupid points ?

I've argued 1 point, equality.

Canberra & Newcastle both have good stadiums.

It's not as though it's going to happen every year but if they have earned a home semi, give it to them.

Raiderdave

First Grade
You know that a Prelim is at a completely different level than a week 1 or 2 finals game. Come on there are the 2nd biggest games of the NRL season. Canberra isn't right for these games.
These games do draw the corporates though. Get a new stadium and maybe your city can host a game of this level. Its unfortunate for the Raiders but thats the setup at the moment. If Canberra win week 1 I will drive down and pick you up for the game.

I can assure you a prelim between the Raiders & Titans in Sydney won't be at a different level then week 1 or 2 finals , it would barely be at a higher level then a club game , nor will corporates be rushing to be entertained at it . But this is what you get with a poorly thought out policy that has the potential to embarras the code as well as it being illogical , unfair & piss fans off in an area that is in a fully fledged war with the AFL & the ARU for hearts & minds.

Good job NRL
Well done.
Now reload the gun & shoot the other foot

PS
I'll make the trip as thousands will if required.
Point is
I shouldn't have to , no one down here should.

unforgiven

Bench
Argued stupid points ?

I've argued 1 point, equality.

Canberra & Newcastle both have good stadiums.

It's not as though it's going to happen every year but if they have earned a home semi, give it to them.
Arguing there is no difference between Canberra and Townsville is a stupid arguement, it really is. There is a reason Townsville are exempt. To argue otherwise just hurts the rest of your argument.

simmo1

First Grade
'Just 3 hours down the road', lol, its really more like 6 hour round trip, and probably closer to 7 hours when you're stuck in the SFS carpark for an hour.

Plenty of Raiders fans in surrounding areas who'd have an even longer commute too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts