What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals week two, Rabbitohs v Dragons, Saturday 15th September 7:40pm @ ANZ Stadium

CliveC

Juniors
Thanks for that CliveC. Yeah, you are correct. We lived in the shop next to the Grosvenor Hotel. Born and bred Waterloo boy and proud of my inner city heritage. Many great memories of many wonderful people. Where did you Dad live, and when did he leave the street, if you don't mind me asking, please?
I have read about the brilliance of Harold many times when I was a boy because the old Mirror and Sun newspapers would often reference him. I remember having pride when my Father informed me that the great captain of the 1940s-50s, Jack Rayner, lived near by. Seeing the giants from the 70s having a beer at some of the area' pubs also put a spring in the step. We also take 'credit' in Adam Reynolds since he is from Morehead St. Do you know of any other Rabbitohs who lived in the area?
Good to hear from you mate.My Dad was orphaned as a child and lived with his Aunts family in Morehead st.I will find the number somewhere in my archives.Used to have a drink or two with Harold.Not sure when he left the area.
A funny story about Jack,my wife had a business where she came in contact with another lady whose husband had "something" to do with Souths.I
I went to Gardo and there was Scott of the Antarctic being screened at the Marina for the school.Class mates were saying forget about the movie Jack Rayner is speaking!!!
More to this story we were all in awe of the great man.
A WWII New Guinea veteran.
Moving to recent times we were at Allianz in the dining room and my wife said look there's that lady I was telling you about let's go over and I will introduce you,so off we go and I am introduced to the bloke who had something to do with Souths!
You guessed it I was shaking hands with the great man Jack Rayner!
My/ our childhood hero!

Morehead St

Juniors
Good to hear from you mate.My Dad was orphaned as a child and lived with his Aunts family in Morehead st.I will find the number somewhere in my archives.Used to have a drink or two with Harold.Not sure when he left the area.
A funny story about Jack,my wife had a business where she came in contact with another lady whose husband had "something" to do with Souths.I
I went to Gardo and there was Scott of the Antarctic being screened at the Marina for the school.Class mates were saying forget about the movie Jack Rayner is speaking!!!
More to this story we were all in awe of the great man.
A WWII New Guinea veteran.
Moving to recent times we were at Allianz in the dining room and my wife said look there's that lady I was telling you about let's go over and I will introduce you,so off we go and I am introduced to the bloke who had something to do with Souths!
You guessed it I was shaking hands with the great man Jack Rayner!
My/ our childhood hero!
Goodonya CliveC for responding so quickly. A great tale to tell the off-spring and your mates. I did not know he was a veteran - well how about that. He must have been young to have joined in the early 1940s.
Enjoyed the connection between your wife and Mrs Rayner. What a small world it can be - life's great for most of the time!
Had a laugh at the modest humour of Mrs Rayner regarding her husband's connection to Souths.
I take it that "Gardo" refers to Gardiner Rd School? I went to Mt Carmel, Waterloo; St Vincents Redfern and St Peters Surrey Hills all before Year 5 (Yes, I was a bit naughty as a young fella - and I am not proud of it.).
Thanks for chasing up the ancestral home number.

ThingFish

Juniors

CliveC

Juniors
Shattered. Love, thoughts and prayers to the Sattler family. I hope Seibs has told the boys to screw the media and just do it for Johnny.

PS Notice that News Corp didn’t write anything about this during the week.
Not unusual for the neo Nazi newspaper!

callmack1

Staff member
Thoughts and prayers with Satts and his family.

Let's do it for John tonight boys!!!! I'm so nervous/excited right now.

Curns13

Juniors
Just an awful 30 minutes so far. Dropped balls, penalties and no pressure. Lucky for us the Dragons have nothing atm.

Curns13

Juniors
It would seem fighting and professional fouls are the only reasons you can be put in the bin. That was disgusting by Latimore.

Travitoh

First Grade
It's sudden death finals footy. St George are defending like their lives depend on it and Souths don't like it. The Dragons line has been holding firm so we're trying to force ball movement to beat it, leading to errors.
St George have been a bit blunt in attack but are playing a really good finals game against a side that likes to play the game on their own terms.

Morehead St

Juniors
Pathetic 1st half. Has anyone actually told the Souths players this is a finals game? Where is the urgency?
Pathetic 1st half. Has anyone actually told the Souths players this is a finals game? Where is the urgency?
It has been a confrontational and very physical first 30 min - and Souths look the worse for wear for it. The last 10 min of the half saw Saints on top without doubt as our forwards look spent.

Not tying the ball up has been a problem for the year and the off-loads tonight from the Dragons are making inroads and wearing our blokes out further as they make up the extra ground to get back onside - usually in a little disorganised state.

Gus is calling it right when he says that Souths have not changed their plan of attack all year - similar to Madge who kept the same power game for too many years leading to less than motivated commitment from many players as they became sick of just being battering rams.

That predictability is making it easier for Saints tonight.

The Dragons look more enthused and more confident.

They also look like they are not back a full 10 metres - but maybe I am just one-eyed. Souths are letting opponents run to them surrendering easy and big metres in the process.

A big mouthful is needed in the sheds at half-time. Something to get them to dictate to St George instead of the opposite.

At least none of our backs have rushed up and in to shut down a play – which saves one try but lets in three others. Hope it stays like that.

Go Souths.

Latest posts