What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Grade Knights v Broncos

otori

Juniors
I'm really excited about this side. While I would've preferred the backrow to be Pato, Houston, Taia; I'm still pretty happy with Hilder and think he's earned a spot. I'm glad that Ciraldo has been left out after two weeks of ineffectively taking up pato and houston's time. Hilder to play 80 minutes I reckon.

Also, I'd rather Uate not play. I'm scared enough of a backline with Hodges in it without bleeding a newbie

Let's not get excited about Aku guys....

In that team, as it's named, two things would have to happen for Aku to get a run

1. A late withdrawal in the backline - hopefully not gonna happen.

2. Smith realises Lulia is a genius - unfortunately not gonna happen.

roopy

Referee
Am I the only one that truly rates Lulia? I can see alot of potential in that kid
I rate him.
He might not quite be ready for firstgrade yet, but all the signs are there that he will have a very long firstgrade career. He has a lot of game already, and just needs to get a bit consistant with what he does.

Pika

Bench
He has improved each game.

I can understand why Smith is sticking with him.

Am I the only one that truly rates Lulia? I can see alot of potential in that kid
No he is going to be something pretty special for mine. Can't believe they dropped him for Mad Dog. We need to change the points system in the NRL. Three for a win and one point for a draw. Get rid of golden point cos it is rewarding field goals and nothing else. Lulia dropped a ball and got crucified for it. He should never have been put in that position. I would've taken the draws against Manly and Parra. Fair result.

Personally I would have dropped McManus, And Maddog to the wing.

McManus had a great game last week but beside that has been decidely average.

macavity

Referee
hope Lulia comes good

but at the moment he looks like a crappier version of someone crap

BG

Juniors
Why would Aku be on an extended bench when Lulia is already there to cover any late withdrawal from the backline?

Could be a long shot, but maybe Lulia is a good chance of playing (MacDougall's injury could be taking a bit longer than expected), with Gidley to 5/8, Wes to fullback, McManus to centres and finally Aku onto the wing.

My guess is Gids to half if Dureau ruled out. Lulia would then come in at centre for Wes to shift to fullback. Aku in if both Doogs and Dureau don't play. If this read is correct, Luke Walsh is obviously well down the pecking order.

BG

Juniors
Dear god no. Not Gids in the halves :evil:

Not ideal, but I doubt it will happen unless we lose two halves the same week. Bailey is a better option than Gids at 5/8, but I'd probably prefer Gids there to Hilder. At half, it all depends on depends on how much Walsh's defence has improved since last year. IIRC we had a Gids/Bailey combo in the latter stages of the last round win against the Tiges last year when Walsh went off injured and it looked pretty good--albeit for a pretty short segment.

BG

Juniors
Second. What has he done that is anything special? I guess he ran a little?

I'm no special fan of his, but I reckon you guys are being mighty harsh in a massive hurry. Just reiterating something I wrote in a previous thread:

"Bit tough on Lulia imho. Didn't see much of the ball and I'm not really expecting him to manufacture authority on a game out of nothing at this stage of his career. Of the few times he touched the ball he actually looked pretty classy. A nice offload in that movement in which Bedsy handled three times. And at the end of the game, when we were desperate and threw it wide coming off our line he ran a really good angle off Patto and then gave a great flick pass to Hilder.

While he hasn't stamped himself on a game for us yet, I like the fact that he's given us little showcases of a diversity of skills. We've seen good hard running to find the try line, an impressive fend to make a break against the Sea Eagles and the nice touches against the Warriors mentioned above. Take out that gut-wrenching dropped catch at silly mid-off against Parra and I think we can summarise Lulia thus far as a guy still finding his confidence in first grade but showing glimpses of class when given the opportunity. I'm not yet convinced, but I do see potential. I suspect he'll make way for Doogs this week though."

roopy

Referee
I'm no special fan of his, but I reckon you guys are being mighty harsh in a massive hurry. Just reiterating something I wrote in a previous thread:

"Bit tough on Lulia imho. Didn't see much of the ball and I'm not really expecting him to manufacture authority on a game out of nothing at this stage of his career. Of the few times he touched the ball he actually looked pretty classy. A nice offload in that movement in which Bedsy handled three times. And at the end of the game, when we were desperate and threw it wide coming off our line he ran a really good angle off Patto and then gave a great flick pass to Hilder.

While he hasn't stamped himself on a game for us yet, I like the fact that he's given us little showcases of a diversity of skills. We've seen good hard running to find the try line, an impressive fend to make a break against the Sea Eagles and the nice touches against the Warriors mentioned above. Take out that gut-wrenching dropped catch at silly mid-off against Parra and I think we can summarise Lulia thus far as a guy still finding his confidence in first grade but showing glimpses of class when given the opportunity. I'm not yet convinced, but I do see potential. I suspect he'll make way for Doogs this week though."
The fend is what has impressed me most. He did two fantastic fends in the NSW cup game against Balmain and another in his first firstgrade game.
Massive 'don't argues' on a tackler that opened up a huge gap in the defence each time and he had the pace to be away once he had flattened his tackler.
Mal Meninga would have been proud to do those don't argues at age 20.

Lulia's tries against parramatta were pretty solid efforts. Carmont would've ended up in touch or attempted one of his ridiculous miracle passes on both occasions. How is McManus getting a pass on all this. He has deadset bombed at least three tries by being far too slow and having bad hands at times.

knights_86

Juniors
ha awesome! jason stevens just tipped us for the weekend and gave bails huge wraps on nrl on fox... warren smith and greg alexander tipped broncs though... pffft

Latest posts