What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Grade Knights v Warriors

Johns Magic

Referee
voltron said:
very harsh

he scored 10 tries last yr
we as a team scored something like 71

we as a team didnt score many long range tries at all
a huge percentage were from inside the opposition 20

and yes mcmanus does not really create opportunities for himself
but he takes them when they are available
and he's very good at that.

When can you last recall McManus making a break?

I'm glad to have him in the squad, but calling him a good attacking winger is crazy.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Jimmy is a gun. I'll watch closer like Hanscholo but I can't see what your saying. Half the time he doesn't get the ball in space because Tighe nor Wes ever pass it to him and when they do it's a sh*t pass. I can't remember a single bomb he has dropped and the amount of tries he has saved is remarkable.

Some of you guys preach how we need a better defensive center yet u whing that Mcmanus can't score a long range try with his attack? This team is never gonna make some of you happy.

Johns Magic

Referee
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
Jimmy is a gun. I'll watch closer like Hanscholo but I can't see what your saying. Half the time he doesn't get the ball in space because Tighe nor Wes ever pass it to him and when they do it's a sh*t pass. I can't remember a single bomb he has dropped and the amount of tries he has saved is remarkable.

Some of you guys preach how we need a better defensive center yet u whing that Mcmanus can't score a long range try with his attack? This team is never gonna make some of you happy.

Ever wondered why that might be?

aqua_duck

Coach
lil doogs has a pretty good try scoring record, 36 tries in 60 games, thats better than a try every 2nd game. In such a young team too, 60 games is invaluble experience

roopy

Referee
I remember Jimmy scoring a length of the field try from the kickoff of the game in a Flegg game v South Sydney at Gosford i think.
Bloody good way to start the game it was, and i think he was in PL the next week and never played Flegg again.

Johns Magic

Referee
aqua_duck said:
lil doogs has a pretty good try scoring record, 36 tries in 60 games, thats better than a try every 2nd game.

Especially considering he was playing for Souths all those years.

keeney

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
I'd like to make it clear here that I've never said McManus should be dropped. Just that he's useless in attack.

Even Craig Hall scored some long-range tries.

Like 2. 1 of which was all Matt Gidley in that Broncos game in 04.

But yeah, Mcmanus isn't a superstar in attack, at least not the tryscoring element of it (I consider the dummy half work a vital element of an attacking set) but he finished some nice tries last year, so he isn't completely useless in that regard.

keeney

First Grade
I used to be a big fan of Lil Doogs but he just never seemed to recapture that form of 04 was it? I think it was his first year at Souths when he and Adam were ripping it up together. Injury played a large part, but still, I was unimpressed last year, as were the Dragons apparently. Even so, I would be a fan of Lil Doogs replacing Lulia. Mcmanus may not be an attacking superstar, but dropping him for any of the others on current form would merely weaken our backline.

League_God

Juniors
look, ive just read my past comments, and i realised i have made it look like i hate the bloke.
his defence is 100% spot on 99% of the time.
his reliability under the high balll 99% of the time reliable.

all im trying to say he is:

1. too slow for a succesful 1st grade winger.

2.lacks flair and being able to create opportunities from nothing.

this may sound weird and i think that im going to have alot of people disagree with me,
but i would prefer to see him at centre.

lets look at what makes a good centre.
matt gidley?
reasonable change of direction which jimmy has.
solid defensively, which everyone knows is jimmys best attribute.
good hands, whcih once again jimmy has.
leg drive is obviously important too, which is jimmy's best attacking attribute he has to offer.

to be a centre you dont have to be awesomely quick.

but long term i would love to see jimmy develop into a second rower.

keeney

First Grade
I was hoping the day of small 2nd rowers at this club was done.

I like the idea of Jimmy at centre, although he'd have to develop his passing game. THAT was Gids' best attribute.

otori

Juniors
League_God said:
his defence is 100% spot on 99% of the time.

It's called sex panther. 60% of the time it works all the time.

I'm gonna honest with you Brian that doesn't make any sense.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
Ever wondered why that might be?

Because both Tighe and Wes were both ex wingers who had no f**king idea how to position thier winger. Yes that's right it's up to the center to get his outside man in the right spot, he is the one passing the ball the winger isnt a mind reader, play a game.

Johns Magic

Referee
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
Because both Tighe and Wes were both ex wingers who had no f**king idea how to position thier winger. Yes that's right it's up to the center to get his outside man in the right spot, he is the one passing the ball the winger isnt a mind reader, play a game.

I've played plenty of wing, centre and fullback, and still do.

You clearly have no idea what over-running a man means.

Tighe was a junior NSW 5/8 if I'm not mistaken so don't crap on about him not knowing how to set up a man. He played about 5 games on the wing in his life and they were pretty much his first games in first-grade. He was not a winger.

If a centre is running at full pace, and sees his winger outside him running at depth, he can always give him a good ball to run onto.

If a centre is running at full pace, and sees his winger outside him running flat or even in front of him(as was the case last week), it makes it almost impossible to give him a ball that he can run onto at pace without it going forward. Often the winger has to slow down to take the ball behind the passer, rather than burst onto it and accelerate as he catches it(which is the primary objective, to get past the guy who passes you the ball). Regardless, have you ever tried to throw a wide, dead flat ball at full pace in a backline? It's much more difficult than throwing a pass backwards, which is the way your hands must travel if the ball is to look like it's not a forward pass.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
I've played plenty of wing, centre and fullback, and still do.

You clearly have no idea what over-running a man means.

Tighe was a junior NSW 5/8 if I'm not mistaken so don't crap on about him not knowing how to set up a man. He played about 5 games on the wing in his life and they were pretty much his first games in first-grade. He was not a winger.

If a centre is running at full pace, and sees his winger outside him running at depth, he can always give him a good ball to run onto.

If a centre is running at full pace, and sees his winger outside him running flat or even in front of him(as was the case last week), it makes it almost impossible to give him a ball that he can run onto at pace without it going forward. Often the winger has to slow down to take the ball behind the passer, rather than burst onto it and accelerate as he catches it(which is the primary objective, to get past the guy who passes you the ball). Regardless, have you ever tried to throw a wide, dead flat ball at full pace in a backline? It's much more difficult than throwing a pass backwards, which is the way your hands must travel if the ball is to look like it's not a forward pass.

I play center and fullback. You make it sound like rocket science to throw a ball at pace, it aint that hard, I know Jimmy has been in the wrong position but it's because they don't have a combo and no communication, Jimmy knows nothing about Wes and how he plays, not even Wes knows by the look of him. You'll see.

Johns Magic

Referee
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
I play center and fullback. You make it sound like rocket science to throw a ball at pace, it aint that hard, I know Jimmy has been in the wrong position but it's because they don't have a combo and no communication, Jimmy knows nothing about Wes and how he plays, not even Wes knows by the look of him. You'll see.

Ideally you want to throw a relatively flat ball to a winger running onto it from depth so that he can accelerate onto the ball.

If you throw a flat ball to a winger who is flat with you, he will have to slow down to catch it, because it's not in front of him. If you're slowing down to catch the ball, you're almost no chance of making a break.

Otherwise you can throw the ball forward and get called back for it like the other night.

As a winger, you'd prefer to be a couple of metres deep than a couple of metres flat. You can run onto a ball at depth. If the pass is a little ahead of you, you might have to accelerate onto it, but that's fine. But if you're standing flat, there's very little margin for error for the passer. Too flat and it goes forward, too deep and the winger has to slow down to catch the ball and the play breaks down.

As an outside back, surely you prefer running onto a ball at pace than having to slow down and stop to catch it?

League_God

Juniors
otori said:
It's called sex panther. 60% of the time it works all the time.

I'm gonna honest with you Brian that doesn't make any sense.

hmm quite a informative scent...stings the nostrels..in a good way.
brian im gonna be honest with you that smells like pure gasoline
haha funniest movie ever

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
As an outside back, surely you prefer running onto a ball at pace than having to slow down and stop to catch it?

Yeh, and i do. I know what your saying but im saying it's not Jimmy's fault, he didn't have a problem with it last year. I'm just saying it's because of a lack of communication and game time between him and his centre thats why he's over running the play. I never said being flat is better than running onto the ball, I said it's happening because they don't know whats going on, there is a lack of cohesion.

Wes needs to talk to Jimmy, tell him to get deeper, make up a call to let him know to come inside or stay on the wing, if Wes talks to him and positions him where he needs to be then Mcmanus will score alot of tries this year. There has been a few times when Wes and Houston have had the opportunity to pass it Mcmnaus in space but have gone themselves.

NthKnight

Yeh, and i do. I know what your saying but im saying it's not Jimmy's fault, he didn't have a problem with it last year. I'm just saying it's because of a lack of communication and game time between him and his centre thats why he's over running the play. I never said being flat is better than running onto the ball, I said it's happening because they don't know whats going on, there is a lack of cohesion.

Wes needs to talk to Jimmy, tell him to get deeper, make up a call to let him know to come inside or stay on the wing, if Wes talks to him and positions him where he needs to be then Mcmanus will score alot of tries this year. There has been a few times when Wes and Houston have had the opportunity to pass it Mcmnaus in space but have gone themselves.

Hit the nail on the head right there.

Overrunning his centres was never in Jimmys game last season and its no coincidence that we are seeing it now with Wes on his inside. The observation I have made is that alot of the Dragons and ex-Dragons players have a problem with passing the ball wide and they tend to back themselves more often than not, Im not sure if its the coaching they recieved while at the red V (possibly a lack of a decent half) but Wes is very guilty of this. Also when Wes does pass to the outside he generally does it at or through the defencive line which, if you dont let your winger know whats happening, can cause them to overrun those late passes.

I reckon this will be fixed in time but maybe some of our coaching staff need to beat the red and white out of Wes :D

Latest posts