What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Grade Knights v Warriors

NthKnight

Take Jimmy out and watch our metres gained in our own half and our right side defence go to sh*t. I cannot understand why people on here are saying he is a poor finisher :?, last season he was our top try scorer and was devestating close to the line.
Id take jimmy over Mad pup any day of the week.

Johns Magic

Referee
NthKnight said:
Take Jimmy out and watch our metres gained in our own half and our right side defence go to sh*t. I cannot understand why people on here are saying he is a poor finisher :?, last season he was our top try scorer and was devestating close to the line.
Id take jimmy over Mad pup any day of the week.

"devestating close to the line"? Pfffffffftttttt.

He was our top tryscorer because he was the only back that got close to playing the full season.

Didn't he score like 10-12 tries in 24 games? I'll also go out and say that he wouldn't have created any of them himself.

NthKnight

Johns Magic said:
"devestating close to the line"? Pfffffffftttttt.

He was our top tryscorer because he was the only back that got close to playing the full season.

Didn't he score like 10-12 tries in 24 games? I'll also go out and say that he wouldn't have created any of them himself.

He was strong close to the line, busting tackles to score on nearly every occasion he was given the oportunity.

How many wingers in the NRL actually set up tries? Sweet f**k all and more to the point it is not their job to do so, their job is to finish them off which is what Jimmy does well close in. Besides its hard to score tonnes of tries when you have the likes of one B. Tighe inside you, he was lucky to get the opportunities he did.

Johns Magic

Referee
NthKnight said:
He was strong close to the line, busting tackles to score on nearly every occasion he was given the oportunity.

How many wingers in the NRL actually set up tries? Sweet f**k all and more to the point it is not their job to do so, their job is to finish them off which is what Jimmy does well close in.

There is a difference between creating tries and setting them up.

Vuna creates tries out of nothing all the time. So does Merrit, Hayne, Inu, etc. Then there are the powerful wingers who run over the top of defenders to score. Grothe, Vatuvei, Tuiaki, Folau, Utai, etc.

McManus is neither of these.

The only tries McManus ever scores is when he's on the end of an overlap 5 metres out. The sort of tries that if he somehow managed to bomb, you'd be wondering how the guy ever made first-grade. Polglase-esque.

Re: Tighe, I said it last year, and even after he's gone it's still apparent. McManus is terrible when it comes to over-running the man inside him. He's barely touched the ball this year either, and when he has, he's never running onto it at full-speed. The forward pass that cost us a try last week was another example of it.

NthKnight

Johns Magic said:
T
The only tries McManus ever scores is when he's on the end of an overlap 5 metres out. The sort of tries that if he somehow managed to bomb, you'd be wondering how the guy ever made first-grade. Polglase-esque.

Not true. Against Parra last season he had 2 players to beat and did so even with only a 1m corridor to work with. Another example against the Bulldogs in rd 1, Roosters rd 12 as well.

Re: Tighe, I said it last year, and even after he's gone it's still apparent. McManus is terrible when it comes to over-running the man inside him. He's barely touched the ball this year either, and when he has, he's never running onto it at full-speed. The forward pass that cost us a try last week was another example of it.

Agree with this which occured last week. He over ran Wes and Kids twice but I cant say its a regular in his game and it could be put down to a touch of inexperience with the man inside him (not Wes's inexperience but the Wes-Jimmy combo).

League_God

Juniors
karma summed it up the best.
jimmy is reliable, nothing more.
and im sick of it.
and lately he hasnt been even that reliable.
he can only score try from 10 metres out max, he is slow!

develop him into a forward already!

NthKnight

League_God said:
karma summed it up the best.
jimmy is reliable, nothing more.
and im sick of it.
and lately he hasnt been even that reliable.
he can only score try from 10 metres out max, he is slow!

develop him into a forward already!

Simply not true. Have a watch of the Cronulla game in rd 7 last year. He outruns all of the Cronulla right hand side defence which consisted of Fraser Anderson who is def no slouch

League_God

Juniors
lol whats the furthest he has ran to score a try? has ever ran anyone down or looked like doing so? whats the most metres he has made from a hit-up?

Karmawave

Bench
NthKnight said:
Simply not true. Have a watch of the Cronulla game in rd 7 last year. He outruns all of the Cronulla right hand side defence which consisted of Fraser Anderson who is def no slouch

And Luke Covell? :lol:

Actually, I think McManus is Covell without goalkicking skills HAHA - ok a bit harsh...

keeney

First Grade
We haven't been a team to score long range tries for years. Even in 02, we scored something dumb like 80%+ of our tries from the red zone.

The thing is, with our leaky backline, we need a player like Jimmy. He isn't glamorous, but he's safe. When was the last time Vuna caught a bomb, conversely, when was the last time Jimmy f**ked one up? How many times last year did he come in, smash a player and save a certain overlap try? How many games has he finished with over 100m? Sure he may not be electric in broken play, or amazing at scoring ridiculous tries, but he's certainly a more complete player than Vuna, and more valuable in the context of the team.

Johns Magic

Referee
keeney said:
We haven't been a team to score long range tries for years. Even in 02, we scored something dumb like 80%+ of our tries from the red zone.

The thing is, with our leaky backline, we need a player like Jimmy. He isn't glamorous, but he's safe. When was the last time Vuna caught a bomb, conversely, when was the last time Jimmy f**ked one up? How many times last year did he come in, smash a player and save a certain overlap try? How many games has he finished with over 100m? Sure he may not be electric in broken play, or amazing at scoring ridiculous tries, but he's certainly a more complete player than Vuna, and more valuable in the context of the team.

I'd like to make it clear here that I've never said McManus should be dropped. Just that he's useless in attack.

Even Craig Hall scored some long-range tries.

Karmawave

Bench
I also have not said McManus should be dropped. No better options than him right now.

I have however said that he might want to watch over his shoulder if ( and its a huge IF ) Luke MacDougall is fully fit and firing.

I cannot see McManus in the centres thats for sure. Not in first grade anyway ;-)

antonius

Coach
McManus is just like the other mediocre wingers we've had lately, Craig Hall springs to mind straight away, Justin Ryder!!!

Hanscholo

Bench
Wow so much McManus hate. I cant say a bad thing about the bloke, ill watch even closer this week, maybe im not seeing it. I certainly wouldnt have Luke MacDougall in our backline unless somebody current was injured, i dont rate him in the slightest. If McManus was dropped somehow, it would have to be for Uate surely.

roopy

Referee
I wasn't a McManus fan in the juniors and was astounded when he got picked for firstgrade in round one last season - but the guy has worked his butt off and done nothing wrong and is still only 21.
He has a lot of potential to improve and has shown he will do the work to reach that potential.
I think Matt Cooper has always been better than him and was always picked for the same position ahead of him through the juniors, but Matt is struggling to get a run in NSW cup and Jimmy is holding down firstgrade - and i suppose it all comes down to the amount of work they have each done in recent years, not that that is all Matt's fault because he gets injured a lot and Jimmy never seems to.

voltron

Juniors
Karmawave said:
And Luke Covell? :lol:

Actually, I think McManus is Covell without goalkicking skills HAHA - ok a bit harsh...

very harsh

he scored 10 tries last yr
we as a team scored something like 71

we as a team didnt score many long range tries at all
a huge percentage were from inside the opposition 20

and yes mcmanus does not really create opportunities for himself
but he takes them when they are available
and he's very good at that.

Latest posts