What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Grade Team Knights v Rabbitohs Round 5

Pika

Bench
I guess when you play your lock at 5/8, it rules out four forwards on the bench.

I think Young will do fine in defence.

Dont listen to roopy when he tells the forum that Young will make four line breaks, score a hatrick of tries and win man of the match from the bench. Its just crazy talk.

Ben

Bench
Hmm interesting from Smithy. I seriously have no idea what he is trying to do with the team.

Yosh

Coach
Ben said:
Hmm interesting from Smithy. I seriously have no idea what he is trying to do with the team.

I'm pretty sure he is trying to win:D

Well truthfully we have been competative to say the least this year apart from the game agaisnt the raiders and our defence has improved. We havent got that many points scored on us. The dogs game oboviusly the shock of losing Joey might of put us down a bit for a while but we crawled back. The dragons we didnt really let them score much (2 tires was it?) Lets not talk about the raiders game I just dont understand that game, and the Strom with all that attacking talent just scored over 20 points. Also Inglis and Slater had quiet games. We did good so far.

Without Joey I would say we will struggle to score large amounts of points but if we defend strongly we will win games even if it is only by 4 or 6 points.

strewth_mate

Bench
Without Joey I would say we will struggle to score large amounts of points but if we defend strongly we will win games even if it is only by 4 or 6 points.

Only thing that concerns me about that, and I know it's largely circumstantial, but given that the onus was on defence this year, we've still conceded 106 points in 4 games. I know we can cut that down but to start the year with 2/4 and still let in 4 or more tries in 3 of the games, that's a mockery of the hype about our defence.

roopy

Referee
Pika said:
Dont listen to roopy when he tells the forum that Young will make four line breaks, score a hatrick of tries and win man of the match from the bench. Its just crazy talk.
If he does any of that i'll walk nude down Hunter street.

Having said that - Smith has obviously been working all off season on our leaky defence and he is now taking action to get it right. Young is a quality defender. He is very mobile and has the instincts of a fullback to know the right time to commit to a tackle as well as being surprizingly hard hitting for a guy who is such a powder puff when running the ball up. Young and Tanner will add a lot to the defence.

Whats Doing

Bench
I think Smithy's playing the Easter bunney with that bench and giving first grade jumpers out instead of chocolates.

CJKnight

Juniors
Pika said:
I guess when you play your lock at 5/8, it rules out four forwards on the bench.

I think Young will do fine in defence.

Not only are we playing our lock at 5/8, but we are also playing a benchie prop at lock. We have effectively created 2 extra forwards for ourselves, not to mention a much bigger pack.

That is the only reason I think Smith is continuing with a smaller man on the bench rather than 4 forwards.

roopy

Referee
Young is very versatile.
He can be useless in any number of positions - lock, second row, centre, fullback - even has a go in the halves.

perverse

Referee
roopy said:
Young is very versatile.
He can be useless in any number of positions - lock, second row, centre, fullback - even has a go in the halves.
rofl! reeeaaallllyy looking forward to seeing him play :?

CJKnight

Juniors
roopy said:
Young is very versatile.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A classic roopy!

roopy

Referee
Where is Oswin - he has been sticking up for Young for years while i have been calling for him to be dropped.
I have to say - i'll be overjoyed to be proved wrong on the weekend. If Young has a great game i'll sing his praises from the rooftops.
Remember - I am the guy who spewed when they gave a kid named Mullen the spot i thought belonged to Scotty Dureau in Ball and thought a big young guy named Patterson was rubbish when he debuted as prop in Ball.

Jono078

Referee
roopy said:
Where is Oswin - he has been sticking up for Young for years while i have been calling for him to be dropped.
I have to say - i'll be overjoyed to be proved wrong on the weekend. If Young has a great game i'll sing his praises from the rooftops.
Remember - I am the guy who spewed when they gave a kid named Mullen the spot i thought belonged to Scotty Dureau in Ball and thought a big young guy named Patterson was rubbish when he debuted as prop in Ball.

I feel a bit better about Young being selected now :lol:

Although everyone has been saying how good Snowden, Taufua and Franze have been going yet he gets selected ahead of them?

Maybe Smith's delibrately putting them hold for a while so when they do finally crack the big time they'll feel they've earned it and bust their tales rather then feeling they were next on the list due to injuries.....

Yosh

Coach
Baron Vo Mandor said:
Maybe Smith's delibrately putting them hold for a while so when they do finally crack the big time they'll feel they've earned it and bust their tales rather then feeling they were next on the list due to injuries.....

Wishful thinking? Maybe he is just blooding a couple of guys slowly who havent proved themselves in FG early in the season. He knows that guys like Franze and Sargent can play FG so just keep them under till he feels like it is time to shine. I dunno...:crazy:

bluesbreaker

Bench
Maybe he and Hagan had a personality transplant. Hagan seems to be picking Meteo and Green for Parra. Why couldn't he pick Uate and Snowden for Knights? :S

Doctor

Bench
roopy said:

I'm right here Roopy -- glad to have got a mention. I stick up for Michael Young on the basis of what we saw a couple of seasons ago when he had the hallmarks of a David Peachey-like fullback (with shoulder pads). I also stand up for him because, from everything I know of him, he's a genuine good-guy who is a dedicated player in the traditions of Bill Peden. He tackles anything that moves (a product of playing fullback in 2005 to one of the most defensively inept Premier League backlines this club has produced).

Young's selection comes as a surprise to me too. He has played Premier League for a couple of seasons now, and has slowly dropped down the priority list. He was first-choice Premier League fullback, but the arrival of Seage, Thaiday, Hinton, Salkeld and Cooper put him WAY down the list there and forced him to slot in as a utility. Now he finds himself actually benefiting from the fact he can play anywhere from 1-7, 9 or 13.

He's not big, not particularly fast anymore and doesn't score many tries -- part of the reason he hasn't been back in first grade since THAT slip in the in-goal against The Dragons a few years ago. But he's a dedicated individual. I've never met him (I did play touch football against him though), but one of his mates tells me that Michael Young is a top bloke. That's enough for me.

We'll see how he is travelling when (if) he plays this week. I hope he does -- if only to have one final crack at leaving first grade with a reputation for what he is: someone who will give everything he has got for the club and one who will remain loyal to it to the end. As you can see, I'm a bit of a fan -- but I'm equally surprised by the selection. Let's see how he goes (he's not nearly as crap as people here have been led to believe). I reckon he'll surprise a few people... watch this space.:cool:

AdamT

Juniors
Well at least we are only playing Souths and not some team in realistic semi final contention. What I mean is I'd rather be playing the bunnies than the Broncos this weekend. At least we can get some more practice without Joey against Souths.

Pika

Bench
Michael Young is a top bloke.

He also has an excellent training ethic and a very good football brain.

He offers a lot in defence.

He may not set the world on fire in attack, but sometimes that is not whats required from a utility.