What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Saints game you went to ?

blacksafake

First Grade
Yep Blacksafake my two all time favourites still to this day. I'm sure if our current peanut coach was in charge he'd play Changa on the bench and Billy Smith as hooker due to his tough defence then switch him to lock for the last 12 minutes.
Most likely. NFI.
But we know Billy was that tough & good he’d make L plate look like a genius.

If truth be known the 2 of them would take him out the back of the grandstand & let him know what they thought of him. Not that I’m condoning violence :thinking:

Gareth67

First Grade
First match was at the ole Cumberland Oval at a W.D&H.O Wills pre-season game against those slippery eels whom beat us . That win earned them the nickname of the ‘ giant killers ‘ as a result. Always remember the crowd giving it to Stanley Gordon because of his slick shiny ‘ Brycream ‘ lacquered hair , he was a damn good winger though .

Frank Facer

First Grade
My first game was Kogarah in the early 80’s. 84-85 if I had to guess. I couldn’t tell you who we played. All I know was that sliding down the north-east grass hill on cardboard was the greatest.

That, and the red candied peanuts.

No peanut allergies back then pal. :wink:
I remember the little guy who used to walk around Kogarah Oval selling peanuts and the red candied peanuts. He used to yell out "PEANUTS, PEANUTS".

My first Saints game was the day Sludge ran 90m to score with Johnny Jansen keeping up with him and stopping him from running near the posts.
Sludge is my all time footy hero but John Jansen was a legend to me forever from that point.
I remember he had to leave the field because he'd run himself "dead" in the chase.
Great memory.

Banjo2014

Juniors
I was born 13 June, 1963 - my Dad always bragged that he kidnapped me and took me to the Souths game at Redfern on 16 June.

Mum later confirmed that my actual first game was 30 June 1963 at Leichardt - mum always said the ground was absolutely full and we won 27-0.(Grandparents were apparently not very happy)

Johnny King was with my Aunty and apparently we had a home full of Saints on occasion at backyard BBQ's.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Dad took me to Kogarah Jubilee oval, late '60's. No idea who we played. All I remember is Johnny King making a break. He ran 70m up the sideline and I swear he was no more than 6 inches from touch the whole way. With the cover coming across he stepped in field and took the tackle but I've still never seen a more electrifying run.

Dad was a migrant who didn't care much for sport. He didn't understand league and he wanted his boy to play soccer, but he still took me to the best game at the best ground with the best team playing.
In the 60's it was called Kogarah Sports Ground - glad you mentioned Uncle John

Old Timer

Coach
Pratten Park V Western Suburbs in 63 I think
Not many games v Wests were at either Kogarah or Pratten normally at HQ so I think it must have been Easter time
We stood on the hill and I remember saying how big Wests were in their very impressive black jumper with the 2 white V’s and dad said wait til Saints run out and then the giant frame of Sticks Provan followed by that glorious side in the Persil white jumpers with the big red V and it was simply magnificent.

possm

Coach
For me too long ago to remember the date however, I remember going to watch Saints v Berries at the SCG with my grandfather, uncle and cousin. My uncle and cousin were Canterbury-Bankstown (Berries supporters. As usual Saints won that game with ease.

Just as an aside, over the years there have been many joint ventures and many team name changes over the years. I can't recall any other club losing their history due to these changes. Teams like Canterbury Bankstown Berries changing to Canterbury Bulldogs, Cronulla Southerland Sharks changing to Cronulla Sharks, Manly Warringa Sea Eagles ….. I'd say it is about time our new CEO addressed this issue and made it very clear that the St George Club never disbanded or closed it's doors, it mealy accommodated a request from the NRL to take in Illawarra after the Super League fiasco with the aim of reducing theams in the new NRL competition form 22 to 16.

It seems the old boys of SGI do not care very much about our fine history of success and instead are more interested in maintaining their seat on the gravy train.

jeffdragon

Bench
1987 at the scg when John Muggleton kicked a fg for a win 21-20 by the eels because we didn't have a marker, he tapped it forward and kicked it.

be55

Juniors
As a child i was never going to grow up to be anything other than a dragons supporter.My father and my uncle were dragons tragic's and they passed this on to me from an early age.Dad would never have made me support a team just because he did but when your a young boy all you want to do is be like your father so i jumped aboard the roller coaster that is the life of a dragons supporter. Dad and my Uncle would always talk of the good old days of the 11 premierships in a row or watching ''puff the magic dragon" the prince of centres Reg Gasnier, Changa Langlands and the great Norm Provan, like i said my life as a dragons supporter was written in the stars, it was meant to be.
Being a long time ago now the details have faded along the way but i do know that the first game i ever went to with Dad was a Dragons v Broncos game at Kogarah. I think it was in 1989, the early years of the broncos. It poured rain most of the game.We sat on the old steel benches to the left of the old grandstand as you walk in, huddled under two umbrellas rain dripping all over us, everything was drenched, ''IT WAS GREAT". Dad warned me that Brisbane would be hard to beat that day and for me not to get mt hopes up as they were on a long winning streak. The dragons got up that day in the rain at Kogarah because i remember dad saying on the way home he was glad that my first time watching the mighty dragons live was a win for the good guys.Looking back on the records i think it was round 11 1989 with the Dragons winning 20-10. Like i said the details had faded but what i do remember is the rain and being with Dad under the umbrellas cheering for the red V.
I watched a lot of Rugby League with Dad over the years,we went to the 1993 Grand Final hoping to see the Dragons win a premiership together but we fell short,although we did get to see Tina Turner perform ''Simply the Best'' live that was awesome.We watched at home in 1999 thinking this was it only to be robbed at the death. We stopped going to games but i would always try to make it home on the weekends so we could watch the dragons games together . I doubted that i would ever get to see the Dragons win a grand final with Dad.
That changed in 2010 when Dad and I sat together in the lounge room of the home i grew up in and watched the dragons beat the roosters.When the heavens opened up in the second half i couldn't help but think of that day in 1989 at a rain drenched Kogarah Oval.
When the final siren went i stood up and hugged Dad and we both got teary eyed which was unusual for me and really unusual for Dad.I think we both new how significant a moment it was because it ended up being the last grand final we got to watch together.Dad passed away the next year in August after been diagnosed with cancer in April 2009.
Looking back i am so glad i got to see the Dragons win a Grandfinal with Dad.Sometimes i wish i could go back in time to that rainy day at Kogarah Oval in 1989 when i was only 11 years old and sit with Dad again and cheer on the Mighty Dragons.
People say that rugby league is "just a game" but to some it is so much more.
Miss you Dad.....

True_Believer

Juniors
As a child i was never going to grow up to be anything other than a dragons supporter.My father and my uncle were dragons tragic's and they passed this on to me from an early age.Dad would never have made me support a team just because he did but when your a young boy all you want to do is be like your father so i jumped aboard the roller coaster that is the life of a dragons supporter. Dad and my Uncle would always talk of the good old days of the 11 premierships in a row or watching ''puff the magic dragon" the prince of centres Reg Gasnier, Changa Langlands and the great Norm Provan, like i said my life as a dragons supporter was written in the stars, it was meant to be.
Being a long time ago now the details have faded along the way but i do know that the first game i ever went to with Dad was a Dragons v Broncos game at Kogarah. I think it was in 1989, the early years of the broncos. It poured rain most of the game.We sat on the old steel benches to the left of the old grandstand as you walk in, huddled under two umbrellas rain dripping all over us, everything was drenched, ''IT WAS GREAT". Dad warned me that Brisbane would be hard to beat that day and for me not to get mt hopes up as they were on a long winning streak. The dragons got up that day in the rain at Kogarah because i remember dad saying on the way home he was glad that my first time watching the mighty dragons live was a win for the good guys.Looking back on the records i think it was round 11 1989 with the Dragons winning 20-10. Like i said the details had faded but what i do remember is the rain and being with Dad under the umbrellas cheering for the red V.
I watched a lot of Rugby League with Dad over the years,we went to the 1993 Grand Final hoping to see the Dragons win a premiership together but we fell short,although we did get to see Tina Turner perform ''Simply the Best'' live that was awesome.We watched at home in 1999 thinking this was it only to be robbed at the death. We stopped going to games but i would always try to make it home on the weekends so we could watch the dragons games together . I doubted that i would ever get to see the Dragons win a grand final with Dad.
That changed in 2010 when Dad and I sat together in the lounge room of the home i grew up in and watched the dragons beat the roosters.When the heavens opened up in the second half i couldn't help but think of that day in 1989 at a rain drenched Kogarah Oval.
When the final siren went i stood up and hugged Dad and we both got teary eyed which was unusual for me and really unusual for Dad.I think we both new how significant a moment it was because it ended up being the last grand final we got to watch together.Dad passed away the next year in August after been diagnosed with cancer in April 2009.
Looking back i am so glad i got to see the Dragons win a Grandfinal with Dad.Sometimes i wish i could go back in time to that rainy day at Kogarah Oval in 1989 when i was only 11 years old and sit with Dad again and cheer on the Mighty Dragons.
People say that rugby league is "just a game" but to some it is so much more.
Miss you Dad.....

I know how you feel mate. I am a relative newcomer to league (at least compared to others on here) - not because of my age, but because of my stubbornness.

My Dad was all footy. He managed/coached a local first grade team (I remember one day when the opposition coach stood in his face yelling "I'll dust ya!!!" - scared the hell out of me as a youngster). He also coached us as juniors at some stage as well. Although I played in his team for a short time and ran the sidelines as a ballboy, I just couldn’t bring myself to follow the game – purely as a statement against my dad. Looking back I have no idea why I felt I needed to do that – but that was what happened.

It wasn’t until years later when I’d left home and in my 20s when I started to watch it and follow it with a passion. Unfortunately I only got a couple of years to sit with Dad and watch a few games on tele with him before he passed. It is my greatest regret and sorrow as I often think about how good it would be to sit with him (and probably argue about it) these days and watch or go to the game. I don't think he ever got to see his beloved Tigers play in person and I would have loved to take him to a game.

Old Timer

Coach
Used to have a black moustache and a
schoolbag on his shoulder full of them
Great days on the hill.
Get ya peanuts
Get ya peanuts
Fresh roasted peanuts
Get ya peanuts
They often carried a brown wicker basket full of brown paper bags of peanuts and they would pass the brown paper bag up with the peanuts and at the same time the money would pass down
Everyone trusted everyone back then
During the great run when we played most weekends at the SCG they even turned up there and started at the Sheridan stand and worked their way around to the Bob stand via the Hill
Great memories