What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Saints game you went to ?

Dragonsamy

Bench
My first game was Saints vs Cronulla at the old Sutherland Oval. I went there with my dad it was a great day and we smashed them 42 to 6. We were minor premiers and they ended up last. I had a beer tipped on my head by a Cronulla supporter.
And from that day on my hatred of Cronulla had started.

mbk78

Juniors
My first Saints game was vs Balmain in 1969 at the SCG. I went with my Grandfather (a long time St George Leagues Club member) and my uncle who was a Tigers man. We played Balmain twice that year at the SCG (May and August according to the records). I can't remember which game we went to (I was 8 yo back then) but I do remember getting a 4 page Souvenir of the game (in a newspaper format, maybe produced by the Daily Mirror?) showing photos of Johnny Raper (his last year with us, I believe), Changa and Billy amongst others. Anyway, despite the loss, I was hooked and have followed them as a "Tragic" ever since. My eldest son's first game was at KoJo in 1994 (can't recall against who) and he's been hooked ever since too.

Frank Facer

First Grade
As a child i was never going to grow up to be anything other than a dragons supporter.My father and my uncle were dragons tragic's and they passed this on to me from an early age.Dad would never have made me support a team just because he did but when your a young boy all you want to do is be like your father so i jumped aboard the roller coaster that is the life of a dragons supporter. Dad and my Uncle would always talk of the good old days of the 11 premierships in a row or watching ''puff the magic dragon" the prince of centres Reg Gasnier, Changa Langlands and the great Norm Provan, like i said my life as a dragons supporter was written in the stars, it was meant to be.
Being a long time ago now the details have faded along the way but i do know that the first game i ever went to with Dad was a Dragons v Broncos game at Kogarah. I think it was in 1989, the early years of the broncos. It poured rain most of the game.We sat on the old steel benches to the left of the old grandstand as you walk in, huddled under two umbrellas rain dripping all over us, everything was drenched, ''IT WAS GREAT". Dad warned me that Brisbane would be hard to beat that day and for me not to get mt hopes up as they were on a long winning streak. The dragons got up that day in the rain at Kogarah because i remember dad saying on the way home he was glad that my first time watching the mighty dragons live was a win for the good guys.Looking back on the records i think it was round 11 1989 with the Dragons winning 20-10. Like i said the details had faded but what i do remember is the rain and being with Dad under the umbrellas cheering for the red V.
I watched a lot of Rugby League with Dad over the years,we went to the 1993 Grand Final hoping to see the Dragons win a premiership together but we fell short,although we did get to see Tina Turner perform ''Simply the Best'' live that was awesome.We watched at home in 1999 thinking this was it only to be robbed at the death. We stopped going to games but i would always try to make it home on the weekends so we could watch the dragons games together . I doubted that i would ever get to see the Dragons win a grand final with Dad.
That changed in 2010 when Dad and I sat together in the lounge room of the home i grew up in and watched the dragons beat the roosters.When the heavens opened up in the second half i couldn't help but think of that day in 1989 at a rain drenched Kogarah Oval.
When the final siren went i stood up and hugged Dad and we both got teary eyed which was unusual for me and really unusual for Dad.I think we both new how significant a moment it was because it ended up being the last grand final we got to watch together.Dad passed away the next year in August after been diagnosed with cancer in April 2009.
Looking back i am so glad i got to see the Dragons win a Grandfinal with Dad.Sometimes i wish i could go back in time to that rainy day at Kogarah Oval in 1989 when i was only 11 years old and sit with Dad again and cheer on the Mighty Dragons.
People say that rugby league is "just a game" but to some it is so much more.
Miss you Dad.....
I vaguely remember the game against Brisbane in 89 that you mention. Although I wasn't there.

Gareth67

First Grade
My first game was Saints vs Cronulla at the old Sutherland Oval. I went there with my dad it was a great day and we smashed them 42 to 6. We were minor premiers and they ended up last. I had a beer tipped on my head by a Cronulla supporter.
And from that day on my hatred of Cronulla had started.

Good on ya Sammy ! Never allow anyone to pour beer over you , personally my weapon of choice is an entire jug , as a loud mouth Parramatta supporter wore one night after his constant yapping finally got to me . True story , next thing I know his sons Heckle and Jeckle came a running after me , they can be a bit wild those Eels supporters :innocent:

Dragonsamy

Bench
Good on ya Sammy ! Never allow anyone to pour beer over you , personally my weapon of choice is an entire jug , as a loud mouth Parramatta supporter wore one night after his constant yapping finally got to me . True story , next thing I know his sons Heckle and Jeckle came a running after me , they can be a bit wild those Eels supporters :innocent:

Gareth
I was only 5 but my old man grabbed one of the scum supporters arm and told them that if they didn't behave he would deal with them. They shut up very quickly

be55

Juniors
I vaguely remember the game against Brisbane in 89 that you mention. Although I wasn't there.
Like i said the memories are vague of the game being so long ago now.I was only 11 at the time but i am pretty sure Ricky Walford scored a try which made it extra special for me because he was my favourite player when i was a kid.
Boy could we do with a Ricky Walford at the moment, pace, strength and desire and i think if you had cut him open he would have bled RED AND WHITE

As a child i was never going to grow up to be anything other than a dragons supporter.My father and my uncle were dragons tragic's and they passed this on to me from an early age.Dad would never have made me support a team just because he did but when your a young boy all you want to do is be like your father so i jumped aboard the roller coaster that is the life of a dragons supporter. Dad and my Uncle would always talk of the good old days of the 11 premierships in a row or watching ''puff the magic dragon" the prince of centres Reg Gasnier, Changa Langlands and the great Norm Provan, like i said my life as a dragons supporter was written in the stars, it was meant to be.
Being a long time ago now the details have faded along the way but i do know that the first game i ever went to with Dad was a Dragons v Broncos game at Kogarah. I think it was in 1989, the early years of the broncos. It poured rain most of the game.We sat on the old steel benches to the left of the old grandstand as you walk in, huddled under two umbrellas rain dripping all over us, everything was drenched, ''IT WAS GREAT". Dad warned me that Brisbane would be hard to beat that day and for me not to get mt hopes up as they were on a long winning streak. The dragons got up that day in the rain at Kogarah because i remember dad saying on the way home he was glad that my first time watching the mighty dragons live was a win for the good guys.Looking back on the records i think it was round 11 1989 with the Dragons winning 20-10. Like i said the details had faded but what i do remember is the rain and being with Dad under the umbrellas cheering for the red V.
I watched a lot of Rugby League with Dad over the years,we went to the 1993 Grand Final hoping to see the Dragons win a premiership together but we fell short,although we did get to see Tina Turner perform ''Simply the Best'' live that was awesome.We watched at home in 1999 thinking this was it only to be robbed at the death. We stopped going to games but i would always try to make it home on the weekends so we could watch the dragons games together . I doubted that i would ever get to see the Dragons win a grand final with Dad.
That changed in 2010 when Dad and I sat together in the lounge room of the home i grew up in and watched the dragons beat the roosters.When the heavens opened up in the second half i couldn't help but think of that day in 1989 at a rain drenched Kogarah Oval.
When the final siren went i stood up and hugged Dad and we both got teary eyed which was unusual for me and really unusual for Dad.I think we both new how significant a moment it was because it ended up being the last grand final we got to watch together.Dad passed away the next year in August after been diagnosed with cancer in April 2009.
Looking back i am so glad i got to see the Dragons win a Grandfinal with Dad.Sometimes i wish i could go back in time to that rainy day at Kogarah Oval in 1989 when i was only 11 years old and sit with Dad again and cheer on the Mighty Dragons.
People say that rugby league is "just a game" but to some it is so much more.
Miss you Dad.....
I was at that game homes. It was a Saturday. The Sun Herald sports section's front page had a picture of Fullerton-Smith's head, caked in mud, and the headline Broncos Stars Feared For Their Lives.

Powerful memories and associations my friend.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Saints vs North Sydney @ NSO, August, 1979.

Pre game (through media personality, David Lord), I was fortunate to meet the likes of Rod Reddy, Mitch Brennan, the late Brian Johnson and Robert Stone, John Jansen, Bruce Starkey, Steve Edge, and Steve Morris in the dressing room.

I still have their autograph of this occasion to this day.

Besides the image of naked men showering which has been indelibly etched into my mind, a life long love for the Dragons had begun in earnest.

Not sure if it was the first because my old man isn't alive any more but I first remember going to Saints vs Northern Eagles at Gosford in 2000
I would have been about 10
From memory it was a draw and Barrett missed a field goal from in front to win it.
First game I have real memories of watching was the 96 Grand Final.
Before my old man died mum followed Manly and I remember dad telling me if we lost we weren't gonna speak to mum.
I took it to heart and barred my old lady for a good week the poor woman haha

Frank Facer

First Grade
No idea why.....they played a Panasonic cup game against Manly up here the year after too. I was 10 years old in 85 so just excited to see them in real life. I used to purchase The Saint magazine with my pocket money.
They used to play lots of mid week games (Amco Cup, KB Cup, Tooths Cup, Panasonic Cup and what ever else the comp was called at the time) at regional areas. It was a way of taking games to regional areas. I don't know if I ever missed watching a mid week game from about 1981 onwards.

Slackboy72

Coach
First game was City v Country at Bruce stadium in 1981.
First dragons match was v eels at Kogarah last round of 83 season. Smashed em 32-2.
Followed up with watching us smashing the chooks 2 days later at the SCG.

Frank Facer

First Grade
First game was City v Country at Bruce stadium in 1981.
First dragons match was v eels at Kogarah last round of 83 season. Smashed em 32-2.
Followed up with watching us smashing the chooks 2 days later at the SCG.
I was at both those games in 83.

Latest posts