What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Thing a Fullback Must Do Is Catch the High Ball

drunkidiot

Juniors
I have found an interesting stat you guys might be interested in. This year Quinlan has played a total of 11 games, 9 of which were at fullback and 2 at halfback.

Out of the 9 games he played at fullback we won the game 7 times. We have only won 1 single game this whole year without quinlan at fullback. Let that sink in for a second.

Leave this man at fullback imo, he is underrated.

GT0007

Juniors
I have found an interesting stat you guys might be interested in. This year Quinlan has played a total of 11 games, 9 of which were at fullback and 2 at halfback.

Out of the 9 games he played at fullback we won the game 7 times. We have only won 1 single game this whole year without quinlan at fullback. Let that sink in for a second.

Leave this man at fullback imo, he is underrated.

Mate I've been saying this for 6 weeks. He had to be retained in the side when Duges came back but wasn't and we fell to pieces. IMO he is getting better and taking more ownership of the position. But no matter what some people think we just score more tries with him in the team and we actually leak half as many. I'm sure Duges at centre is contributing to defense but we've done ok with his absence this year. He is getting good ball at centre as opposed to working the ball off his line with kick returns. He scored 1 try at fullback this year and Quinlan 3, try assists and line break assists there is no competition as Quinlan is way ahead and Duges is scoring tries almost at will now at centre. His try assist for Gypsy was pretty special. It's a no brainer. Whiles Duges came as a fullback it wasn't tattooed on him and history is littered with great players who went to a new level when they changed position in their careers.......you got me started again lol

Country Dragon

Juniors
Mate I've been saying this for 6 weeks. He had to be retained in the side when Duges came back but wasn't and we fell to pieces. IMO he is getting better and taking more ownership of the position. But no matter what some people think we just score more tries with him in the team and we actually leak half as many. I'm sure Duges at centre is contributing to defense but we've done ok with his absence this year. He is getting good ball at centre as opposed to working the ball off his line with kick returns. He scored 1 try at fullback this year and Quinlan 3, try assists and line break assists there is no competition as Quinlan is way ahead and Duges is scoring tries almost at will now at centre. His try assist for Gypsy was pretty special. It's a no brainer. Whiles Duges came as a fullback it wasn't tattooed on him and history is littered with great players who went to a new level when they changed position in their careers.......you got me started again lol

Are you Adam's father???

GT0007

Juniors
Are you Adam's father???

No relation lol. I noticed he had a special talent when I saw his NRL debut and he came on and dragged Englis out of position and did a flick pass Benji wouldve been proud of to set up a try. He is a rare player that at 21 and at his size has plenty of development left in him. I saw a similar thing in Mundine in his debut, they just have some magic about them.

The only reason I support him so heavily is to maintain the balance in the forum which has changed more in Quinlans favour since we've been winning with him at fullback and Duges at centre. If people got off his back I would barely mention him but for the classy moments he has. I've spent plenty of time defending Marshall as well as Merrin, JDB, Thompson, Creagh etc. A player doesnt even have to have a bad game in here they just have to make 1 mistake and people call for their head. It's a joke, what coach is going to sack a player cos they make 1 mistake or have one bad game? Then the forum would be calling for the coaches head cos their is no consistency with selections week in and out.

For what its worth I do think winning teams can be changed but it's my personal opinion that Quinlan is part of the reason for our form reversal as is Benji, Duges and Mary and fortunately for me I have the results to back me up! More importantly losing teams have to be changed and Mary did that successfully so maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Rodent

Bench
With Duges at fullback, we've only won 1 game and that was v Warriors at home. We ALWAYS beat the Warriors at home.

BennyV

Referee
This is an interesting and original topic. I would definitely like to hear more about it, please continue. I also think thay this topic could relate to a couple of other threads, maybe the idea should be brought up there too..

As you were...

Godz Illa

Coach
This is an interesting and original topic. I would definitely like to hear more about it, please continue. I also think thay this topic could relate to a couple of other threads, maybe the idea should be brought up there too..

As you were...
GT007 will take that invitation. Brace yourself for another volume.

bottle

Coach

As you were...

They could always be merged. Would deal with much of the repetition.
If 'anti' threads are going to be continually started, left to run and not merged, then isn't it just as valid for the counter view to be argued in each if someone holds it? Is there a limit to how many threads you can post an opinion in?

It gets tiresome at times yes, but it's the way it goes.

GT0007

Juniors
They could always be merged. Would deal with much of the repetition.
If 'anti' threads are going to be continually started, left to run and not merged, then isn't it just as valid for the counter view to be argued in each if someone holds it? Is there a limit to how many threads you can post an opinion in?

It gets tiresome at times yes, but it's the way it goes.

Post of the century!

watatank

Coach
No relation lol. I noticed he had a special talent when I saw his NRL debut and he came on and dragged Englis out of position and did a flick pass Benji wouldve been proud of to set up a try. He is a rare player that at 21 and at his size has plenty of development left in him. I saw a similar thing in Mundine in his debut, they just have some magic about them.

The only reason I support him so heavily is to maintain the balance in the forum which has changed more in Quinlans favour since we've been winning with him at fullback and Duges at centre. If people got off his back I would barely mention him but for the classy moments he has. I've spent plenty of time defending Marshall as well as Merrin, JDB, Thompson, Creagh etc. A player doesnt even have to have a bad game in here they just have to make 1 mistake and people call for their head. It's a joke, what coach is going to sack a player cos they make 1 mistake or have one bad game? Then the forum would be calling for the coaches head cos their is no consistency with selections week in and out.

For what its worth I do think winning teams can be changed but it's my personal opinion that Quinlan is part of the reason for our form reversal as is Benji, Duges and Mary and fortunately for me I have the results to back me up! More importantly losing teams have to be changed and Mary did that successfully so maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quinlan has had a very unremarkable career for a 'special' talent. He wasn't even a regular in a weak U20s team. When he went to the Cutters, McGregor played him on the wing for the first month. When Quinlan had an opportunity in first grade, after everyone fell over, he did nothing, in his supposed favoured position. To his credit he has done alright this year but he is still for the most part, unproven as a first grade regular (but an able backup) but people act like we have this rare player that must be in the team at all costs and like it's some sort of crime to criticise him

GT0007

Juniors
Quinlan has had a very unremarkable career for a 'special' talent. He wasn't even a regular in a weak U20s team. When he went to the Cutters, McGregor played him on the wing for the first month. When Quinlan had an opportunity in first grade, after everyone fell over, he did nothing, in his supposed favoured position. To his credit he has done alright this year but he is still for the most part, unproven as a first grade regular (but an able backup) but people act like we have this rare player that must be in the team at all costs and like it's some sort of crime to criticise him

Did u miss he's 21??? It might just be he's been our only spark in attack when we couldn't score a try to save our lives and we win and look more stuctured when he is in the team. His best position is not fullback and I've said over and over I see him as a half but we have structure when the ball goes wide, we have at least 1 player that is always there backing up and as much as it may surprise u we are winning games. WTF is there to argue about? Even though Manly flogged the Tigers I'm still optimistic we can push them. We have a 3 prong attack as opposed to before Benji and Quinlan we just had Widdop and all this forum could go on about is poor Williams as he was our future. In the last 5 games we are equal with Penrith and the Warriors as the best performing teams, in the last 3 we are the best performing team. What is it thats so wrong about that and what dont you get? Fix it please Tank so i can sleep tonight!

BTW I have been to Cutters games this year and Quinlan is very quick and has great anticipation, he lifted us last year when playing 5/8, scores tries, has try assists and LB assists....what more do u want? He isn't void of critism but if you listen to critisism of every player that gets a hammering on here we only have about 5 firstgraders yet we are only 3 wins behind 1st place?

Why is that? Really can't wait for the answer. Why are we only 3 wins 1st place and won 4/5 and we should drop Quinlan when we only started winning when we included him back in the side. Why did Duges when asked voluntarily say Quinlan should be playing FG and told Mary make the move. Why did Mary think it was a good idea for both players without consulting this forum?

Should we just give the competition points back? We are just way to clever in here for stats and competition points to be considered???? If changes are made and we perform ever better without quinlan I'll be over the moon but until then get a reality check, we are winning more than we lose and if we didnt have to make up ground we would at least be in the top 8.

Nothing personal against u mate but the Quinlan bagging is old but it does take the heat of Rein lol. As dragons we are critical but I've never seen anything like the shit that goes on in this forum. You have to wonder as I see over and over people hope we lose so they can prove their point. Heads up we've been winning so enjoy it while we can, may not last forever

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
Did u miss he's 21??? It might just be he's been our only spark in attack when we couldn't score a try to save our lives and we win and look more stuctured when he is in the team. His best position is not fullback and I've said over and over I see him as a half but we have structure when the ball goes wide, we have at least 1 player that is always there backing up and as much as it may surprise u we are winning games. WTF is there to argue about? Even though Manly flogged the Tigers I'm still optimistic we can push them. We have a 3 prong attack as opposed to before Benji and Quinlan we just had Widdop and all this forum could go on about is poor Williams as he was our future. In the last 5 games we are equal with Penrith and the Warriors as the best performing teams, in the last 3 we are the best performing team. What is it thats so wrong about that and what dont you get? Fix it please Tank so i can sleep tonight!

BTW I have been to Cutters games this year and Quinlan is very quick and has great anticipation, he lifted us last year when playing 5/8, scores tries, has try assists and LB assists....what more do u want? He isn't void of critism but if you listen to critisism of every player that gets a hammering on here we only have about 5 firstgraders yet we are only 3 wins behind 1st place?

Why is that? Really can't wait for the answer. Why are we only 3 wins 1st place and won 4/5 and we should drop Quinlan when we only started winning when we included him back in the side. Why did Duges when asked voluntarily say Quinlan should be playing FG and told Mary make the move. Why did Mary think it was a good idea for both players without consulting this forum?

Should we just give the competition points back? We are just way to clever in here for stats and competition points to be considered???? If changes are made and we perform ever better without quinlan I'll be over the moon but until then get a reality check, we are winning more than we lose and if we didnt have to make up ground we would at least be in the top 8.

Nothing personal against u mate but the Quinlan bagging is old but it does take the heat of Rein lol. As dragons we are critical but I've never seen anything like the shit that goes on in this forum. You have to wonder as I see over and over people hope we lose so they can prove their point. Heads up we've been winning so enjoy it while we can, may not last forever

Forget it, you've missed my point and your failure to comprehend any views other than your own is doing my head in.

GT0007

Juniors
Forget it, you've missed my point and your failure to comprehend any views other than your own is doing my head in.

Good bag another team or player or give a 21yr old a break when he is contributing to our wins. You said he has had an unremarkable career.....seriously? He is 21

AdamStoy

Juniors
I am pretty sure cummins got injured then Quinlan took over and they ended up coming first or second in U20s

Dezziedc

Juniors

I agree with you about being a regular first grader. I don't think he is up for it just yet. But he is improving week by week.

I think the argument from my side is that Dugan is a better centre than any other options we have at the moment. He is strong, can bust tackles, defends well and runs a great line. We all saw what he can do close to the line with ball in hand (against the Titans).

With him at centre, I personally think it makes sense to bring Quinlan in as fullback. He provides some extra options in attack that have worked for us over the last few weeks. Yes there are deficiencies in his game as a fullback, but to date they haven't affected our ability to win with him there.

Dugan is our best fullback no doubt, but he is also our best centre. And for a better balance in the team it makes sense (at least to me) to keep it the way it is until we get back a few players from injuries. As they come back I have no doubt that Quinlan will be dropped.

watatank

Coach
My point is, Quinlan has been a backup player every step of the way and still is. He may have come into that U20s team and did well but wasn't considered good enough to have a regular spot in that team (not even in the halves, and people think that's his best position). He is not some special talent that just needs to be there like people would have lead to believe. He has improved but whether he can be more than a backup remains to be seen.

I will say he has been underrated and he brings something to the team that people want to see and he's a player that people want to root for. But he needs to keep improving if he wants to be a first grader.

Dezziedc

Juniors
My point is, Quinlan has been a backup player every step of the way and still is. He may have come into that U20s team and did well but wasn't considered good enough to have a regular spot in that team (not even in the halves, and people think that's his best position). He is not some special talent that just needs to be there like people would have lead to believe. He has improved but whether he can be more than a backup remains to be seen.

I will say he has been underrated and he brings something to the team that people want to see and he's a player that people want to root for. But he needs to keep improving if he wants to be a first grader.

Yes, I agree with what you are saying. He is developing and at best would fill a bench spot with our squad at full strength. It just so happens that with Dugan shifted to centre, he finds himself with a chance to get some first grade experience in the team at fullback. I understand people have other thoughts on the team reshuffle, but I personally think the current mix works well - better than other combinations currently available to us.