What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzy in the Tropics

westie

Bench
You got that part right.

But seriously, on one hand Collis was sh*t after Prince left because we didn't have anyone going that way, but Ayshford is sh*t just because he's sh*t? Double standards anyone....?

Serious explanation.

Watch him receive the ball (older games have some great examples, though I can't specifically recall). A good football player has a situation summed up and is acting from the moment the ball is in his hands. He wins the one on one as he has the advantage of being one step ahead from the get go. Agree? See Tonga's move on Ayshford as a perfect example. You'll notice Ayshford did not come up with a similar move.

Ayshford is a special for receiving the ball and stopping. You can actually see the cogs turning over. Now, he usually makes the right decision (often a skip to the outside as things turn out)... but he makes it too late. When he should have had the centre beaten and be in the process of drawing the winger, he's just starting to go wide. This is why he ends of over the sideline with regularity on the occasions he actually takes on a player. He's just doesn't look like a "footballer". Sure, he can run down the field with no one in front of him as he did when Thurston went down, but, really... who can't?

Sure a few people here have said he is young, he'll come good etc... which may well be the case with his defence. But a footballer is a footballer and he just isn't one.

To sum up my thoughts; you know that catch cry "good footballers seem to have more time than every one else"... well... he seems to have less than the standard NRL player.

We can bang on all we want - but if we want to get serious, the facts are that we can go to our old tapes and watch Collis repeatedly beating players at the same age, and looking classy doing it. But we can't find such footage of Ayshford.

If someone wants to actually come up with some opposing reasoning, I'd be glad to listen. At the moment all I'm hearing is "oh, he's just good okay'.

westie

Bench
Ben Reynolds is my favourite - Tigers would have been better off long term had Reynolds played ahead of Benji, or something along those lines. What a corker.

How many seasons of football did Benji miss. You think this is a good thing do you? An absolute CORKER that he missed so much footy. I was simply pissing myself laughing every time he carried his shoulder off.

westie

Bench
I think you will find westie was a big Pancake Patto fan.

See; here you are, missing the point again. If you keep going, you'll probably score a deflection or penalty.

How does me saying - "sh*t, he looked a completely different player in the second row than in the middle" mean I fancied him as a football player? I've said it about a bunch of players and will most certainly say it about a bunch of others as long as old man Sheens is the coach.

You just don't get it. After so many explanations I'd have thought you'd have clued in.

I'll make it simple. I can say "Reynolds should be in our halves for the time being" without thinking Benji isn't the hottest property in the league. Get it?

Tiger Hawk

Bench
You seriously cannot claim that Benji suffering a couple of injuries is justification alone for wanting to play Reynolds ahead of him? FMD

Eddie.

Bench
Westie, it is a little bizarre you bring Lampard into a rugby league discussion/argument (Not the first time you have done this?? -perhaps a bit of hatred?/. Your a GUnners fan from memory so maybe that explains you bringing up Lampard in a discussion on Tigers players credentials.

Lampard has been Chelsea's most consistent performer of the past decade. 95% of Chelsea fans would agree with me on this. Yeah he has scored a few penalties and deflections over the years, but i think you will find he has scored lots of pure goals from open play as well. Just a few Westie. I would rather be a deluded Lampard fan then a deluded Fitzhnenry or Collis fan

Anyway, back to the point. I agree with you that Collis has more ability then Ayshford. If you were to tick the boxes of a centres job description, Collis would have more ticks. He had a better passing game and was more elusive, more ability to beat his man. However the game is not played on paper. And i think 95% of Tigers fans would agree with me that Ayshford has played a more consistent and reliable role then Collis in the centres for the Tigers.

Just like Teo, Collis had a heap of talent. You choose to find a heap of excuses as to why they didn't perform. Others choose not to (the majority of non deluded people)

And I reckon you wanted Reynolds ahead of Prince at halfback, because Prince was not capable of organising a side?? And if Reynolds was going to make all the difference the last few years, why did no decent clubs go after him??

Last edited:

Eddie.

Bench
How could i forget about Ben Jeffries.Another one of Westie's pet players. He wasn't too bad actually, he had some ability in a dreadful side. Ill half give you that one westie!

westie

Bench
Mmm I like watching Ben go around still. He's exactly the sorta half I'd want to have... just a few clicks short of being good enough to make a proper go at it.

Does anyone actually think Benji was ready for consistent first grade footy? The fact that all his injuries were self inflicted says a lot to me. I wanted him used like Barba is. He'd have learnt a lot more, and been far more valuable to a struggling side being injected.

I doubted Prince's ability to run the show and although I was right at the time - he did come good. There were other reasons I didn't think he should be the main man and I guess they probably had a significant effect, especially in 2006.

P.s I laughed so much through that Eddie. I'll never understand Lampard people.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Ben Jefferies was a half decent player, going quite well over in the UK actually.

Ben Reynolds best moment was at Leichhardt in 2004 - we were losing against Manly, he broke his leg, Prince moved from five-eighth to halfback and we piled on about 20 unanswered points and beat Manly.

Eddie.

Bench

Lampard people? What are we a race? lol. You bagged me for not putting up a rational argument and yet here you are and all you can do is laugh?/

Anyway westie I don't expect you to understand, your not a Chelsea fan. Your a fan of another London club and Lampard is a much hated figure by everyone outside of Chelsea fans. They call him Fat Frank and talk about his 2 deflected goals each season and hate him for the hide of putting away penalties.

Im happy with him at Chelsea though and so are all the Chelsea fans. He has been brilliant over the years in the blue shirt so you can laugh all you like.

Last edited:

Eddie.

Bench
Ben Reynolds best moment was at Leichhardt in 2004 - we were losing against Manly, he broke his leg, Prince moved from five-eighth to halfback and we piled on about 20 unanswered points and beat Manly.

Correct. I don't wish injury on anyone, however he was having his usual stinker and that injury turned the game. We put on 4 tries in 20 minutes.

Borat.

Juniors
Mmm I like watching Ben go around still. He's exactly the sorta half I'd want to have... just a few clicks short of being good enough to make a proper go at it.

Does anyone actually think Benji was ready for consistent first grade footy? The fact that all his injuries were self inflicted says a lot to me. I wanted him used like Barba is. He'd have learnt a lot more, and been far more valuable to a struggling side being injected.

I doubted Prince's ability to run the show and although I was right at the time - he did come good. There were other reasons I didn't think he should be the main man and I guess they probably had a significant effect, especially in 2006.

And we would not have come close to a GF victory

westie

Bench
And we would not have come close to a GF victory

Ignoring the idea that we got lucky in 2005... Surely we'd have been in a better position, with Benji better developed if he was brought along slowly, and thus playing more footy? Let's not forget just how many games he missed.

I was watching the Newcastle come-back game at Campbelltown this arvo... Gee Jefferies could do some good things when he was on. That inside ball he had was right up there. It did depress me some what seeing just how good Galea was. He should have been our captain for years and years and I reckon an origin player. Such a shame.

Borat.

Juniors
Ignoring the idea that we got lucky in 2005... Surely we'd have been in a better position, with Benji better developed if he was brought along slowly, and thus playing more footy? Let's not forget just how many games he missed.

I was watching the Newcastle come-back game at Campbelltown this arvo... Gee Jefferies could do some good things when he was on. That inside ball he had was right up there. It did depress me some what seeing just how good Galea was. He should have been our captain for years and years and I reckon an origin player. Such a shame.

Got Lucky in 05--FFS we were on fire- we smoked every team at the back end of the year-

We did exactly what parra did - except we didn't choke...

Got Lucky- are you even a fan. What part exactly was lucky...can you tell me please...

You'd dead set have a whinge waking up next to Scarlett Johansson

westie

Bench
FFS? FFS? I'm going off what the club said you knobber. THEY said they got lucky. Things went better than they were expected to. We won before we got to the top of the salary cap cycle.

Keep ignoring the point though. You're getting good at it.

Vic Mackey

Referee

wow.....i actually agree with all of that.

is galea still playing in england? can't believe we brought fitzy back and not him....

Packy

Bench
As an Bulldogs fan I would much prefer you guys had Collis in your team than Ayshford tomorrow.