What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's back

possm

Coach
Craig Young wants his son dean to be our head coach so, it makes sense to have Griffin on for one more year. If Flanno is appointed and because of this Saints started to perform well, there would be no opportunity for Dean to be appointed head coach in 2024.

This is the problem and so, I doubt we will have any luck in solving it.

mightydragon

Juniors
I think everyone realises that Flanno is Dogs bound & Gus just waiting for the dust to settle before the official announcement.
I’m sure the deal was cut prior to the Baz stagged departure.
Dragons always seem to be reactive in decision making.
Consider Hook was selected just ahead of David Furner, the current Dogs assistant coach whom they didn’t even promote.
In fairness re Flano, he wasn't eligible at the time to coach when we needed one. He would have been our No1 choice however the timing wasn't right.

Dragon David

First Grade
In fairness re Flano, he wasn't eligible at the time to coach when we needed one. He would have been our No1 choice however the timing wasn't right.
If the club wanted Flanagan to be our head coach then why did they extend Hook's contract to the end of 2023? If the club wanted Flanagan, they could have got Flanagan lined up at the start of the year instead of doing what they did with Hook. So, whilst I understand that the timing wasn't right back in 2020 before Hook was initially appointed, the timing was right before the ball was kicked to start this year's campaign for Flanagan to be signed for 2023.

It could even be a two way thing between the club and Shane himself not wanting to coach the Dragons so we will have to wait and see where he ends up. The club might be wanting to set up the Chairman's son as the head coach from 2024.

We could have another case of Mary #2 the way the club has gone about extending Hook - we could see him in the next 3-5 years at the club. still trying to work put who should be playing in the full back position.

Our club remains an enigma when it comes to sorting out these matters - sometimes appears to be too hard for the club to sort out the puzzles they are faced with.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm still confused about the conflict of interest in being a recruitment manager but looking for a coaching job elsewhere. He could simply be holding back some deals until he can make an offer as a coach elsewhere ?
Yes you are right with your thinking Denis. There might be a couple of good ones lurking in amongst the lot we have at the Dragons who have great potential and as a List/Recruitment Manager he might be putting them aside at promoting them to keep for himself when he goes elsewhere.

I'm sure though that Ben Haran will also be looking closely at all of the players that he thinks are worthy of retaining and promoting and now that Flanagan is saying to the Bulldogs to ring him, Haran would certainly make sure that there is no shenanigans going on behind his back - in my opinion.

So as soon as Flanagan gets a coaching job somewhere, his services with the Dragons should immediately be terminated.

Dragon David

First Grade
Really. Well if we miss out on Flanno I suppose a former Dragon will do when Griffin goes. Who is Dean coaching at present as I have not been following his progress.
He is the assistant coach under Todd Payten at the Cowboys. He has been there since the start of 2021 to this day. I think he is the defence assistant coach and for this year, he has done a good job so far. I also think that young Dean's move away from the Dragons system will help in the future and knowing that his Dad is now the Chairman of the Board at the joint venture club it might give him "a leg in" at the Dragons one day.

But who knows what is around the corner? Hook could be our coach for another 6 years and could be in the group photos in one of those years holding onto the Provan/Summons trophy. Yes, we can all dream and anything is possible in dreams.

Flanno won't be our coach is what I'm sensing. He had pretty good fortune at the Sharks and some bad ones as well which have been well publicised. Can he emulate what success he did have at the Sharks with say the Bulldogs is anyone's guess? Times have changed and Hook will be under the scrutiny of that ogre in the name of Gus, the no, no, no, no, no man and will he feel comfortable having that man around him? Trent didn't I'm sure of it.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Just read about murmurs of a swap of Kyle Flanagan for Jayden sullivan. Given Flanagan senior is his dad, our recruitment consultant and an applicant for the Bulldogs coaching role I am a bit surprised about this and concerned too. Also, Sullivan is a brighter prospect than Flanagan surely, what would be in this for us?? Surely Flanagan is not earmarked as our future 7.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Just read about murmurs of a swap of Kyle Flanagan for Jayden sullivan. Given Flanagan senior is his dad, our recruitment consultant and an applicant for the Bulldogs coaching role I am a bit surprised about this and concerned too. Also, Sullivan is a brighter prospect than Flanagan surely, what would be in this for us?? Surely Flanagan is not earmarked as our future 7.
Surely this is rubbish. We already have Hunt at no 7, with Bud as a built in replacement over time. Dragons have no need for another half-back!

Changa

Juniors
2 rubbish rumours in the same day, one from Mole re Sloan unsettled and then this one re Sullivan swap from SMH.

Both fake news pieces orginating from Fairfax media, the same company bulldogs GM (Gus) also works for - and the timing just happens to coincide with the week of our clash with the Dogs.

Don't get sucked into their tripe...

Lovemedragons

Juniors
2 rubbish rumours in the same day, one from Mole re Sloan unsettled and then this one re Sullivan swap from SMH.

Both fake news pieces orginating from Fairfax media, the same company bulldogs GM (Gus) also works for - and the timing just happens to coincide with the week of our clash with the Dogs.

Don't get sucked into their tripe...
You would hope it’s bullshit because it’s senseless, but it is the Dragons…

denis preston

First Grade
Where did you read this ?

possm

Coach
If the club wanted Flanagan to be our head coach then why did they extend Hook's contract to the end of 2023? If the club wanted Flanagan, they could have got Flanagan lined up at the start of the year instead of doing what they did with Hook. So, whilst I understand that the timing wasn't right back in 2020 before Hook was initially appointed, the timing was right before the ball was kicked to start this year's campaign for Flanagan to be signed for 2023.

It could even be a two way thing between the club and Shane himself not wanting to coach the Dragons so we will have to wait and see where he ends up. The club might be wanting to set up the Chairman's son as the head coach from 2024.

We could have another case of Mary #2 the way the club has gone about extending Hook - we could see him in the next 3-5 years at the club. still trying to work put who should be playing in the full back position.

Our club remains an enigma when it comes to sorting out these matters - sometimes appears to be too hard for the club to sort out the puzzles they are faced with.
Our Managing Director Craig Young wants his son Dean to be our next head coach.

Dragon David

First Grade
"Times have changed and Hook will be under the scrutiny of that ogre in the name of Gus, the no, no, no, no, no man and will he feel comfortable having that man around him? Trent didn't I'm sure of it."

My bad sorry - instead of Hook, it should be Flanagan.